Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Of course Palmer played well.  But I happen to think O'Leary was our MOTM.  Clean sheet, hardly a shot to save with great positioning, good distribution...should definitely start on Sunday...

You get my point?

Well yes, I think I already agreed with that?  It doesn't mean that giving him 20 minute cameos when we're losing and punting the ball over his head to static forwards is not the reason we haven't got the best out of him.  Perhaps we should try using him properly before we give up.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I will say though that Palmer looked ridiculously good against Bolton at home in the cup in 18/19. And then barely had a good game after that.

He was fantastic tonight of course. Just wondering can he do it consistently. I hope so.

To be able to do it consistently he needs to play consistently. Hopefully this will be the turning point for him and will be managed differently. It does seem he has been the scapegoat. Not playing him could have cost us a play off place last season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think, tbf, that in recent times KP hasn't been given enough chances " to produce when it actually matters". Yet you're right in that his signing has been a general disappointment so far but definitely DH has a new dilemma.

Ultimately- KP putting on a show is brilliant for BCFC one way or another.

 

 

Before now he has been a little unlucky not to have been given those chances. But when given those chances, albeit not many, he hasn’t taken them with both hands like he did tonight.

As you say it can only be a good thing for us. I really hope he kicks on as we don’t have another player like him.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Toffee dog said:

That includes the rest of the team! The team played well what’s your problem, so how many more players weren’t up to it?

Huh?

Are you replying to someone else?

I didn't say anyone was or wasn't up to it?

My problem is with the assertion of the OP that KPs future was down to this one game, and that this game was when it really mattered. I think that's pretty clear, as that's the bit I highlighted and responded to. 

You ok?

47 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think it did to him , to us and the coaching team

Yeah I don't think they're basing a decision over his future on one game.

In fact I'd be really disappointed if one game radically changed their assessment of a player either way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

To be able to do it consistently he needs to play consistently. Hopefully this will be the turning point for him and will be managed differently. It does seem he has been the scapegoat. Not playing him could have cost us a play off place last season. 

For me he has to perform when he's picked. I don't see how a manager can watch him play really badly and accept it and continue to pick him. Its all down to him. 

At least he will know his role in this side. He will know what work he has to do off the ball. He has to do that to stay in the side whenever he is picked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching coverage via Northampton that included Colin Calderwood as a summeriser.

He hit the nail on the head in the first half that Palmer was making the easy pass backwards when he had time and space to go forwards. 

Look at the restart to the second half how Palmer chased down their keeper forcing him to rush his clearance, from that moment on he was like a new signing. 

Something obviously clicked at half time and as the game progressed he got more and more confidence improving his game massively.

He was far from perfect, still losing the ball cheaply and on occasions lazy in back tracking 

But this is the Palmer we want to see more of this season. 

Can he do it week in week out against better opposition? Only time will tell 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Huh?

Are you replying to someone else?

I didn't say anyone was or wasn't up to it?

My problem is with the assertion of the OP that KPs future was down to this one game, and that this game was when it really mattered. I think that's pretty clear, as that's the bit I highlighted and responded to. 

You ok?

Yeah I don't think they're basing a decision over his future on one game.

In fact I'd be really disappointed if one game radically changed their assessment of a player either way.

Thanks for your concern I’m fine,

Thought Palmer played well as did the rest of the team, I thought you implied different 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • phantom changed the title to Kasey Palmer
On 16/09/2020 at 01:11, TonyTonyTony said:

He should be sold. Far too lazy and tries the hero pass too much. 

If you follow him and his missus on social media, you will see his life seems to be full of, well just distractions it seems to me. Perhaps he needs to focus on football and stop pissing around. He has god given talent, but doesnt seem to be arsed when he gets a chance. Id ship him out ASAP

 

Whoops  :facepalm:

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Whoops  :facepalm:

Let's put it into perspective though. This was probably his best performance in a City shirt? 

Let's get excited when he's done it in the league on a consistent basis. 

Northampton were a poor side that can't be used as a benchmark. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Honestly!

He was playing against a second-rate team who barely got out of third gear.

 

Last season, when he got a chance,  he was playing FOR a second rate team who rarely got out of third gear!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chivs said:

Of course Palmer played well.  But I happen to think O'Leary was our MOTM.  Clean sheet, hardly a shot to save with great positioning, good distribution...should definitely start on Sunday...

You get my point?

What the eff was that 3/4 drilled pass straight down the middle in the first half to Bakinson...which he lost.  Unnecessary, poor decision making.

But other than that he did exactly what was needed from him tonight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Prinny said:

EFL cup 2nd round vs Northampton.

This is not when it really matters.

It’s a cup win, it’s more cash in the pot, it’s about not having egg on our faces after the match.  Total professional performance. That’s how you deal with lower opposition, who dealt with Cardiff in the 1st round.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The performance would have done his confidence the world of good, and he looks like he is a confidence player. A slow burner in last night’s game. The commentator just before HT said he needed to be further up the pitch and this seemed to change in the second half. Maybe it is because we have one of the assistant managers watching from the stand we are picking up these things that have to be tweaked now.

A lovely headache for Dean on Sunday. The passing and interacting between players and hearing instructions shouted to them was refreshing. I’ve been a harsh critic of Holden &Co but he is in credit from me on last nights performance. It’s not about the opposition, it’s about the way we are wanting to play.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Red Army 79 said:

To be able to do it consistently he needs to play consistently. Hopefully this will be the turning point for him and will be managed differently. It does seem he has been the scapegoat. Not playing him could have cost us a play off place last season. 

I was listening to Radio Bristol and Chris Honor was very critical of him in the first half, but effusive in his praise in the second. I think that just shows his inconsistency. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was listening to Radio Bristol and Chris Honor was very critical of him in the first half, but effusive in his praise in the second. I think that just shows his inconsistency. 

I'm not sure the inconsistency point is fair in this case. Northampton came out the box flying in the first 20/30 mins and the whole side had to 'earn the right' to get the ball down and play to use a dodgy footballing phrase. Also important to remember Kasey has only started something like one competitive game since November last year and didn't get too many minutes in preseason away from 60 mins in the second Aston Villa game from what I can make out so a slow start from him yesterday was understandable imo and getting a full confidence boosting 90 mins under his belt yesterday will do him the world of good going forward! 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope we either make use of him this season or otherwise can get back what we invested, but it is worth pointing out Northampton put out a far weaker side last night than they did against Cardiff.

They treated that game (their first) as preparation for their opening league game, last night they rested several players for their next one.

It is encouraging that he (& others) played well, but a weakened League One side is not comparable with upcoming games against Stoke, Watford, Norwich or Bournemouth.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I really hope we either make use of him this season or otherwise can get back what we invested, but it is worth pointing out Northampton put out a far weaker side last night than they did against Cardiff.

They treated that game (their first) as preparation for their opening league game, last night they rested several players for their next one.

It is encouraging that he (& others) played well, but a weakened League One side is not comparable with upcoming games against Stoke, Watford, Norwich or Bournemouth.

You seem a very knowledgeable football man Graham but just don’t understand why you do not seem to rate Palmer at all?  He was superb and previously wrongly in my opinion people have questioned his work rate but that was exceptional last night. He is technically gifted and just needs a run of games although doesn’t start for me at the moment as Pato has earned that right. Whatever your view and opposition, that was a fantastic make or break performance from him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was listening to Radio Bristol and Chris Honor was very critical of him in the first half, but effusive in his praise in the second. I think that just shows his inconsistency. 

In what way was Chris critical of him?  The only thing I thought from the first half was he was too deep...with Tinnion pointed out.  He didn’t do anything wrong with the ball and worked hard without it.  Second half he was very good.

33 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

I'm not sure the inconsistency point is fair in this case. Northampton came out the box flying in the first 20/30 mins and the whole side had to 'earn the right' to get the ball down and play to use a dodgy footballing phrase. Also important to remember Kasey has only started something like one competitive game since November last year and didn't get too many minutes in preseason away from 60 mins in the second Aston Villa game from what I can make out so a slow start from him yesterday was understandable imo and getting a full confidence boosting 90 mins under his belt yesterday will do him the world of good going forward! 

Yep, the kind of game where if you give them an inch, you end up losing.  We fought hard first 25 minutes and eventually started to work the ball from side to side, moving Northampton about, eventually creating the one on ones we needed to get chances.  It’s easy to look at the game as we didn’t do much in that initial period, but defensively we were excellent...we allowed very few balls into our box, which is where the danger would come from.  We were very well organised.  People seem to forget there’s 11 opposition players trying to stop City playing, and their front 3 looked like they could cause us problems if we allowed diags into our box.

As for Kasey, yes, hasn’t played much at all, not even pre-season, so he looked like he was easing himself in, making sure he got the basics right, before his “swagger” returned second half.

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

You seem a very knowledgeable football man Graham but just don’t understand why you do not seem to rate Palmer at all?  He was superb and previously wrongly in my opinion people have questioned his work rate but that was exceptional last night. He is technically gifted and just needs a run of games although doesn’t start for me at the moment as Pato has earned that right. Whatever your view and opposition, that was a fantastic make or break performance from him.

He’s never been lazy, just wastes energy with inefficient pressing.

Re the Cobblers line up, Joe Martin (son of Alvin) came in, and he’s played 300+ games across the EFL divisions, so not a kid.  The keeper, Mitchell, is on loan from Derby, and has played a number of apps on loan over the last few years.  The only other changes were Chukwuemeka (debut) and Sam Hoskins (150+ games)....so I’d suggest it was a gentle rotation, rather than a weakened team.

Back to Palmer, assuming he’s stays, it’s down to him to keep putting pressure on Paterson (which will be good for Pato too, as he has spells where he slips into complacent mode, although he is playing for a new contract).  I get the impression that Holden will operate a fairer selection policy, so I don’t expect KP to only get one game to prove his worth should he get back in the team.

Its just nice to see players giving positive performances.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chivs said:

Honestly!

He was playing against a second-rate team who barely got out of third gear.

 

I get this, but how many times have we struggled against exactly this type of opposition? FA Cup, Shrewsbury (twice) anyone?

Players showed up in a non-glamourous tie for once, something KP in particular would probably be accused of not doing

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...