IGNORED

Cobblers

wendyredredrobin

I think Tyreeq and Chris Martin showed enough to merit a start against Northampton on Wednesday. Might also be a chance to bring in a couple of the other new boys.

Or would you prefer to blood them a bit more gently.

Then we have the question of Stoke on Sunday, which will be a sterner and physical test than Coventry I think.

30 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I’d like to see something like 

O’Leary

Vyner Moore Mawson

Sessengnon Morrell Bakinson Brunt

Palmer

Martin Semenyo

Gives the new players a chance to bed in and put some minutes under their belt, whilst letting some of the ‘first teamers’ rest up for stoke 

Get entirely where you’re coming from but that leaves just two of yesterday’s side starting.

Personally, I think that yesterday wasn’t what the first team will end up being, and we should use the Northampton game, in part, as a way towards getting us towards that first team. That means in the key positions create the partnerships and relationships so they know each other’s games.

That means I’d like to see Kalas & Mawson & Vyner/Moore, I’d like to see Martin/Wells and I’d like to see a functioning midfield. More than happy to see a few changes, but reckon we’ll get to endgame of best XI sooner if we try and get understandings sooner rather than later

Need to be aware Northampton put 3 past Cardiff, for me. I’d be conscious of playing international players too much given they’ll be away in October and November as well, so would give kalas a game off and as Nagy and Morrell didn’t feature yesterday I’d include them even if only for an hour for joe. Take the chance to stick Weimann upfront to try and get a goal or two back in him and some confidence.

O’Leary

Moore       Vyner      Mawson

Hunt                                                  Rowe

Nagy     Morrell     Bakinson

Weimann     Martin   

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Need to be aware Northampton put 3 past Cardiff, for me. I’d be conscious of playing international players too much given they’ll be away in October and November as well, so would give kalas a game off and as Nagy and Morrell didn’t feature yesterday I’d include them even if only for an hour for joe. Take the chance to stick Weimann upfront to try and get a goal or two back in him and some confidence.

O’Leary

Moore       Vyner      Mawson

Hunt                                                  Rowe

Nagy     Morrell     Bakinson

Weimann     Martin   

Like that team. Spot on for round 2

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

I’d like to see something like 

O’Leary

Vyner Moore Mawson

Sessengnon Morrell Bakinson Brunt

Palmer

Martin Semenyo

Gives the new players a chance to bed in and put some minutes under their belt, whilst letting some of the ‘first teamers’ rest up for stoke 

Most of them should be first teamers

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Get entirely where you’re coming from but that leaves just two of yesterday’s side starting.

Personally, I think that yesterday wasn’t what the first team will end up being, and we should use the Northampton game, in part, as a way towards getting us towards that first team. That means in the key positions create the partnerships and relationships so they know each other’s games.

That means I’d like to see Kalas & Mawson & Vyner/Moore, I’d like to see Martin/Wells and I’d like to see a functioning midfield. More than happy to see a few changes, but reckon we’ll get to endgame of best XI sooner if we try and get understandings sooner rather than later

Yep, totally agree. It's all about getting a mix of providing everyone with rest time as well as match practice on top of, as you say, building those partnerships. 

I would say that those are the sort of things that can also be built on the training ground, so I'd say a cup game (that realistically we should have a good chance of winning) is probably the time to get those who didn't get a chance yesterday up to speed

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Gonna be an interesting selection for Dean with Sunday in mind.

For me I’d want to get Mawson some minutes...and like you, I’d like them alongside Kalas too.

Northampton, under Curle are very direct, and although he didn’t play yesterday, have 6’5” Harry Smith up top.

With the extra day til Sunday, I think we can make a sensible number of changes with a view to Stoke.

We should go with a strong team with only 2 or 3 changes where players may be carrying a knock or others really need the minutes. We have a bigger squad now than previously and we should be able to give our best in the Championship, FA Cup and League Cup. I'd be disappointed to lose to Northampton because we put out a makeshift team.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gonna be an interesting selection for Dean with Sunday in mind.

For me I’d want to get Mawson some minutes...and like you, I’d like them alongside Kalas too.

Northampton, under Curle are very direct, and although he didn’t play yesterday, have 6’5” Harry Smith up top.

With the extra day til Sunday, I think we can make a sensible number of changes with a view to Stoke.

Agree & think the other judgement has to be how many of those coming in are fit enough to play a full game?

Fine to start with a couple who aren’t, but you can’t have 5 or 6 of them..

O'Leary

Sess Vyner Kalas Mawson COD

Morrell Bakinson Nagy

Martin Semenyo

I'd normally say only a few changes are ideal, but with such a makeshift back 8 yesterday I don't think wholesale changes are a bad thing in this instance.

If Max isn't going on loan then he needs as much game time as possible.

Arguably Sessengon, Mawson, Kalas, COD, Bakinson, Nagy, Morrell & Martin (8/11) to start the next league game too, assuming they play well enough. 

I'd like to see Mawson and Sessegnon get an hour or so.

LWB is an issue with Dasilva missing, maybe Brunt playing there or possibly COD giving Rowe a break.

Morrell to start as well with Nagy.

I'm putting Eliasson, Diehiou, and Palmer to one side as all three may well be off soon.

Williams, Walsh, Dasilva injured.

So;

.....................Bentley 

..........Vyner  Kalas  Mawson

..Sessegnon  Morrell Nagy  Brunt/COD

...................Paterson

.............Martin Weimann

More minutes for Bakinson and Semenyo.

I think we're going to see Martin start up front. Just going on what Simpson just said in the pre-match press conference: "We will be making changes but it will be because we have games coming thick and fast and because players - such as Chris Martin, Steven Sessegnon, Alfie Mawson and Tyreeq Bakinson - who need minutes to make sure they’re up to speed.

Also, I think Palmer is done for us. I've never been sure why we ever signed him permanently as he really didn't solve any of our problems during his loan period. Looking at who Holden has brought in, and who he's played, I just don't think he sees a player like Palmer in his plans.

I want O'Leary in goal as well so think we may see the 352 but with the below.

O'Leary

Vyner - Kalas - Mawson

Sessegnon - Morrell - Bakinson - Brunt

Paterson

Martin - Wells

Archived