IGNORED

List why players aren't selected on the team sheet.

Prinny

TLDR: List why players aren't selected on the team sheets to help everyone.

So there's a lot of ignorance and confusion being posted around the team, it generates wild conspiracies, anger at selection policies and frankly it clogs up the interesting discussion. Basically where people have missed an interview, or not read a news source and just post their confusion. Now everyone can't be expected to know everything, or spend all their time hanging on the clubs every word. So in order to help them and the club and the manager, the club should start releasing a squad report alongside the team news. We can help EVERYONE very quickly by doing this.

Idea comes from a combination of two NFL documents which are the injury report which comes out daily and the active list which is released before games. Not using correct terminology for people who don't know the NFL. The injury report lists injuries throughout the week of training, it tells you about who is training, and if they missed training, are limited and when they become full participants again, while the active list is basically the roster selection for an individual game as in a typical season you have a squad of 53, but only 46 are allowed to play for the game.

So how would it work?

Well when you're handing in your team sheet to the media department so they release it one hour before kickoff, alongside ticking the boxes on the players selected you write a reason for the players not selected. The reasons would have codes like

I - Health related reason for not being selected.

F - Healthy but not fit.

R - Healthy fit but due to the amount of minutes played internationals etc they're not playing.

NS - Healthy, fit, but not selected. coaches decision.

P - Healthy and fit but a Personal reason, a family problem, mental illness etc etc. I.E., players business, don't ask!

So yesterday would look like

And then underneath 'subs' you would have the header

INACTIVE

Dasilva - I, Nagy - R, Baker - I, Walsh - I, O'Dowda - I, Wollacott - NS, Morell - R, Williams - I, Brunt - F, Palmer - NS

And then all the information is in one place, on official channels, you're not helping the opposition because it's released at one hour before kickoff anyway, you're not helping future opposition because you don't have to go into details about anything just listing the reason. It stops confusion, and speculation, and helps the fans understand so they can get on with supporting the team. It would take under a minute for the coach to do as it's writing letters on an already prepared sheet of paper, so it's not exactly a waste of the time. Journalists will be asking about the players missing after the game anyway, so get ahead of that, and help the fans and help yourselves.

I like the speculation and conspiracy theories. They're almost always far more interesting than reality which is usually pretty dull.

Don't you then just get speculation on what type of 'P' issue it is, or whether they've intentionally been put in a different category than where they should be?

I think this is trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist for me.

Wow - way to impinge on a person's privacy!

Yes let's advertise to the world if a player is suffering from a mental illness or family issues whether they like it or not. They may be 'in the public eye' but they still deserve their basic privacy. 

Absurd idea for me. Not only for personal reasons and potentially tactical decisions, I fundamentally disagree that every decision a football coach makes should have to be officially documented.    

The more we get told, the more the opposition know. 

I don't feel the need to know every detail and trust that we employ someone to select the team, based on far more than we ever know (or would even if a reason had to be given) 

Waste of time and counter productive, IMHO. 

15 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Wow - way to impinge on a person's privacy!

Yes let's advertise to the world if a player is suffering from a mental illness or family issues whether they like it or not. They may be 'in the public eye' but they still deserve their basic privacy. 

Absurd idea for me. Not only for personal reasons and potentially tactical decisions, I fundamentally disagree that every decision a football coach makes should have to be officially documented.    

27 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I like the speculation and conspiracy theories. They're almost always far more interesting than reality which is usually pretty dull.

Don't you then just get speculation on what type of 'P' issue it is, or whether they've intentionally been put in a different category than where they should be?

I think this is trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist for me.

Well for me, if they wrote P for personal on the team sheet I wouldn't speculate, because it's a personal issue. I just gave examples, so we'd all know what we're talking about here. In reality it would be a much broader category covering a wide variety of issues affecting a player. I'd like to think people would see there's a personal issue and not pry. That's my instinct anyway. I don't think it's a good sign for you if you see someone has an issue, then start speculating about them. I think that's a worse state than knowing nothing. This isn't a perfect solution, you guys are correct, but I think it's a "better than" solution.

It doesn't impinge on their privacy because there's no details. It all says is, there is an issue, you don't get to know, but that's the reason they're not selected. Much like at work you get to know someone is off sick, but you don't get details because it helps you to know to plan and understand, but the details aren't your business.

And at the absolute worst, a player could say just put me as NS please.

Fair enough if you enjoy the rabid conspiracies, personal choice. I don't.

Because that would stop the "rumours" wouldn't it.

"Oh I see that Morrell has been listed as injured. Well I know for a fact because my bit on the sides dog pointed me in the direction of the postman who delivers to Morrells aunties cousins wife, who in turn knows Joe's cleaner. She says that when she was cleaning his place yesterday, she saw a fax from Watford saying that they wanted to sign him, and said that they would quadruple his wages and release an official statement claiming that Bristol City were poo poo heads for not playing him. Oh yeah, and Alan Curbishley was buying his flat when he moves. FACT."

I can see your system would stop all rumours.

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The more we get told, the more the opposition know. 

I don't feel the need to know every detail and trust that we employ someone to select the team, based on far more than we ever know (or would even if a reason had to be given) 

Waste of time and counter productive, IMHO. 

Nah this is players outside of the squad, so it doesn't help the opposition on the day.

And it doesn't give details so if a player is listed as injured, there's no timescale and they might be back next game.

And these are questions asked and answered regularly after a game (or at least should be), so it's not as if the information isn't already out there to help the opposition.

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Because that would stop the "rumours" wouldn't it.

"Oh I see that Morrell has been listed as injured. Well I know for a fact because my bit on the sides dog pointed me in the direction of the postman who delivers to Morrells aunties cousins wife, who in turn knows Joe's cleaner. She says that when she was cleaning his place yesterday, she saw a fax from Watford saying that they wanted to sign him, and said that they would quadruple his wages and release an official statement claiming that Bristol City were poo poo heads for not playing him. Oh yeah, and Alan Curbishley was buying his flat when he moves. FACT."

I can see your system would stop all rumours.

No, again, it's not perfect. It won't stop the people who make stuff up or have actual genuine information they want to share.

But you can't stop that. This clears things up for the more sensible types.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

No, again, it's not perfect. It won't stop the people who make stuff up or have actual genuine information they want to share.

But you can't stop that. This clears things up for the more sensible types.

So Holden has fallen out with Joe Bloggs. Holden has to put a reason why Joe Bloggs isn't in the squad. Holden lists Joe Bloggs as P for Personal Reasons. Holden lies. Joe Bloggs is very unhappy.

Bad Holden.

5 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Well for me, if they wrote P for personal on the team sheet I wouldn't speculate, because it's a personal issue. I just gave examples, so we'd all know what we're talking about here. In reality it would be a much broader category covering a wide variety of issues affecting a player. I'd like to think people would see there's a personal issue and not pry. That's my instinct anyway. I don't think it's a good sign for you if you see someone has an issue, then start speculating about them. I think that's a worse state than knowing nothing. This isn't a perfect solution, you guys are correct, but I think it's a "better than" solution.

It doesn't impinge on their privacy because there's no details. It all says is, there is an issue, you don't get to know, but that's the reason they're not selected. Much like at work you get to know someone is off sick, but you don't get details because it helps you to know to plan and understand, but the details aren't your business.

Fair enough if you enjoy the rabid conspiracies, personal choice. I don't.

I'd like to think people would see there's a personal issue and not pry

Have you been introduced to social media?????

So what's the point then if they can just lie?!

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

So Holden has fallen out with Joe Bloggs. Holden has to put a reason why Joe Bloggs isn't in the squad. Holden lists Joe Bloggs as P for Personal Reasons. Holden lies. Joe Bloggs is very unhappy.

Bad Holden.

Yes there was an example of this only this week. After Brian Tinnion posted that we never turned down Eze  he didn’t stay because he wanted to be in London, a poster came on here and called him a liar based on his amazing ITK status.

Surely we need acronyms that can be easily remembered without referring to a key :-

HIP Has Incriminating Photos (instant starter)

SHIT Sulky Has Inferior Touch

CRAP Can’t Really Accurately Pass

WOMAN Won’t Offer Much Attacking Nouse

I’m going to get it for the last one !!

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

So there's a lot of ignorance and confusion being posted around the team, it generates wild conspiracies, anger at selection policies and frankly it clogs up the interesting discussion. Basically where people have missed an interview, or not read a news source and just post their confusion. Now everyone can't be expected to know everything, or spend all their time hanging on the clubs every word. So in order to help them and the club and the manager, the club should start releasing a squad report alongside the team news. We can help EVERYONE very quickly by doing this.

Idea comes from a combination of two NFL documents which are the injury report which comes out daily and the active list which is released before games. Not using correct terminology for people who don't know the NFL. The injury report lists injuries throughout the week of training, it tells you about who is training, and if they missed training, are limited and when they become full participants again, while the active list is basically the roster selection for an individual game as in a typical season you have a squad of 53, but only 46 are allowed to play for the game.

So how would it work?

Well when you're handing in your team sheet to the media department so they release it one hour before kickoff, alongside ticking the boxes on the players selected you write a reason for the players not selected. The reasons would have codes like

I - Health related reason for not being selected.

F - Healthy but not fit.

R - Healthy fit but due to the amount of minutes played internationals etc they're not playing.

NS - Healthy, fit, but not selected. coaches decision.

P - Healthy and fit but a Personal reason, a family problem, mental illness etc etc. I.E., players business, don't ask!

So yesterday would look like

And then underneath 'subs' you would have the header

INACTIVE

Dasilva - I, Nagy - R, Baker - I, Walsh - I, O'Dowda - I, Wollacott - NS, Morell - R, Williams - I, Brunt - F, Palmer - NS

And then all the information is in one place, on official channels, you're not helping the opposition because it's released at one hour before kickoff anyway, you're not helping future opposition because you don't have to go into details about anything just listing the reason. It stops confusion, and speculation, and helps the fans understand so they can get on with supporting the team. It would take under a minute for the coach to do as it's writing letters on an already prepared sheet of paper, so it's not exactly a waste of the time. Journalists will be asking about the players missing after the game anyway, so get ahead of that, and help the fans and help yourselves.

Briilant idea ????

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Bad Holden.

So Holden has chosen to lie about a player to only his benefit. That SHOULD cause him problems IMO!

It's not GREAT HUMAN behaviour is it?

I think causing that problem is good for the club. They should know who their manager is.

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Have you been introduced to social media?????

So what's the point then if they can just lie?!

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Or a better suggestion. Don't randomly guess at why players aren't picked. 

What's the point of any communication if we can just lie? Well we assume people are telling the truth generally if we have no reason to suspect them, if you don't you have issues!

And I think you're missing point two of this, in that it collects the data already out there. Holden will be asked about Joe Bloggs by a journalist, so he'll have to lie there anyway.

7 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

What right have we got to know what is happening in a player’s personal life? I don’t want anybody who is not a close friend or family member to know what’s happening with me. 

Footballers have their lives plastered all over social media etc. Can’t we just leave people alone

Yes- broadly agree.

Unless, of course, they are paid extraordinary sums of money and as such are contractually obligated to behave within agreed parameters, don't spout off on twitter and set an example off the pitch as well as off it.

Otherwise- they're fair game.

8 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

What right have we got to know what is happening in a player’s personal life? I don’t want anybody who is not a close friend or family member to know what’s happening with me. 

Footballers have their lives plastered all over social media etc. Can’t we just leave people alone. 

You don't get to know what is happening. You get to know there's an issue, which is why they're not selected. Not the details. And if the player doesn't want that they can ask to be listed as NS. The coach can then choose what to do, much like as if they're asked why x isn't playing. Which they will be. This isn't any different from that, except it's done earlier and officially and in a place you don't really have an excuse not to be aware of.

If you're the type of person who wants to speculate about a persons personal issues, that's on you. If someone says "it's personal" to me, I just leave it at that and respect it. It won't stop people like that, nothing will.

I think knowing why a player isn't selected is inside the bounds of what is acceptable information for a supporter to have.  So does everyone, or every question about team selection would be answered with NO COMMENT. Managers don't do that usually. We don't NEED to know if a player is injured, but we still get that info. Same deal. Why is ok to know about their medical conditions? Or injury status? Or contracts? It's personal information.

Archived