IGNORED

Squad strength v expectation

The turtle

When I look at the squad this season,  it feels to me as though its the strongest squad this decade. 

There are a healthy ammount of youngsters around including some that were out on loan now ready to seriously challenge the first time, even establish. 

Brunt, Martin, mawson.... Two exceptional veterans along with a highly regarded centre back. 

The one thing it's lacking is a Murray, Adomah type player... The exciting consistent winger who can also turn a game just like that but that's been the case for a while. 

Has the squad been this strong in the last ten years? 

For that reason, shoud fan, board, management expectations be playoffs and nothing less?

After sacking the manager for getting close but not over the line, there seemed to be a possibility we'd take a step back... Accept mid table etc. 

But based on that squad, combined with previous expectations.  Would it be incorrect to say even 7th place playing attractive football would be considered a failure?? Who would consider it a success? 

Normally a manager should be given time.  But how much time can be given in this case? 

The squad strength and therefore my expectation changes completely on injuries.

My expectations are radically different if we have Rowe and Moore or Dasilva and Mawson playing for the majority of the season on the left side for example.

The team that played yesterday I'd expect 14th-20th Our stronger lineups with Williams in the midfield I think could be 4th-10th.

I think I just want the fans and management and board to closely follow what's going on and then decide if Holden's done a good job rather than setting him an target which not be realistic based on the seasons circumstances. 

City have two wide men capable of tearing the up the wings in Eliasson and CoD but neither have, certainly under LJ anyway. 

On paper City have a strong options in midfield and it’s upto Deano and his assistants to work out the best combination.

Up top yet again City have good options with Fam, Martin and Wells with Semenyo now beginning to feature.

Based on yesterday’s showing City struggled to cope with an organised Coventry and much of that was down to midfield.

It was the first Championship match and Deano said post match the City are still developing and hopefully we’ll see some more convincing performances as the season progresses.

Yet I’m cautiously optimistic that we’ll be in and around the top 6 all season.

18 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I think I've learned now not to have expectations. Just enjoy the season and the challenges it brings! 

Most looking forward to seeing how the players like Walsh, Massengo, Semenyo, Morrell & Bakinson develop this season.

Walsh & Williams together is what I’m looking forward to 

Add in any other midfielder and that will suffice in my opinion 

Hopefully we can start dictating games and probe defences with some good football as we certainly have the personnel now if they stay fit 

Certainly, at least on paper, it looks like the most strength in depth we've had for some time.

Its down to the head coach to utilise the squad and get the best out of the players. Its very early days but in the two competitive games I've seen, that most definitely hasn't been the case imo.

As I say, very early days, I hope DH can succeed - he has the best chance possible with this squad.

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

Gotta get the blend right in the middle.

When at full strength , I think a 3 of Williams, Walsh and Pato could be formidable.

I’m really looking forward to seeing Williams in our midfield.  In terms of there being a missing component in our midfield over the past 12-18 months, at this present time, I can’t think of a realistic signing who would be better than him.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

My concern is if Holden continues to play Paterson and weimann in the midfield

Do you want to have a look how many goals and assists that pair have got between them, since DH took charge 7 games ago and back that up..? 

Edit: just had a look at from what I can quickly spot. 5 goals + 6 assists between them. 

Out of interest why are a lot of people pretty confident Williams & Walsh will be our midfield?

Is it just optimism? I know Walsh had a good season at Coventry but so did Adelukan before he joined. 

With Williams, tbh I didn’t watch much of him so would be good to know just how important he was to the first team last year

6 minutes ago, Jcolebristol said:

Out of interest why are a lot of people pretty confident Williams & Walsh will be our midfield?

Is it just optimism? I know Walsh had a good season at Coventry but so did Adelukan before he joined. 

With Williams, tbh I didn’t watch much of him so would be good to know just how important he was to the first team last year

Probably worth looking at the Joe Williams thread

Walsh has a lot to prove imho, but I’m hoping he has developed at Coventry.

No hope with Williams, all expectation!

In some respects it's our strongest squad in recent years, but it feels like a collection of "good" players rather than stars or match winners 

Not sure brunt will bring much. He's nothing to prove and this feels a bit like a year to top up the pension. Hope I'm wrong

Martin, I get the feeling he could be the star signing. Adds experience and still has a few seasons ahead. Has a point to prove 

I think 7-12th place finish personally. With the hope of some attractive football

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m really looking forward to seeing Williams in our midfield.  In terms of there being a missing component in our midfield over the past 12-18 months, at this present time, I can’t think of a realistic signing who would be better than him.

I don't know know enough about the lad. But he seems to be well liked on here

Personally, I've always rates Bradley Dack

Just now, Matthew me said:

Agreed, but that creative ball winning and midfield scoring player is needed

I'd rather have Dack and make do with Nagy and others

Wait until you’ve seen £1.25m Williams play....you can then decide whether he’s any good or not.

As for Dack, how much would he cost do you reckon.  Last season they turned down £10-15m from West Brom allegedly.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Wait until you’ve seen £1.25m Williams play....you can then decide whether he’s any good or not.

As for Dack, how much would he cost do you reckon.  Last season they turned down £10-15m from West Brom allegedly.

I'm excited to see Williams, nothing against the lad, I just don't know enough about him

As I said, he seems to get a great press on the forum so genuinely hope he's the bees knees

Dack would be a little cheaper now. One year on contract and returning from an ACL. I suspect 6-8m for one of the most talented players in the league. 

All a pipe dream, and a huge gamble. But I'd have loved to have seen him wearing the red and white 

I think we have a lot of above average players but no real top quality players. Premier league players if you like. My expectations therefore are we will be an above average team but not have the extra quality to get promoted. Of course if the team gel and get momentum we could mount a run to the play offs. And/or if someone emerges as a top quality player in the front third of the pitch...

Archived