IGNORED

PSG vs Marseille

JamesBCFC

7 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I tuned in around 65 mins. I think by 90 mins there were 7 or 8 yellows.

Turned into a mass brawl at the end, pushing, kicking and Neymar getting a straight red for sneaky punch to the back of someones head.

Think it was 12 bookings by 90 minutes.

Wehn Neymar went off he said to the camera he had been racially abused, so won't be surprised if a Marseille player gets a ban added as well.

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Also of note, just Googled it and I see Marseille won! 

Away at PSG. Bit of a notable result, for AVB despite his tribulations here. Think it was a reasonably strong PSG side too?

Full strength PSG, Marseille's first win against or at PSG in 20 games or something (commentators were stating a stat on those lines, but I was only half watching until the end).

PSG 0 points from their first 2 games and will have at least 3 suspended for Wednesday night.

Could finally be the year Ligue 1 is a competition. 

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Full strength PSG, Marseille's first win against or at PSG in 20 games or something (commentators were stating a stat on those lines, but I was only half watching until the end).

PSG 0 points from their first 2 games and will have at least 3 suspended for Wednesday night.

Lyon looked good in CL, players stay and they should improve. Monaco 7 pts 3 games. 

Note Thauvin got winner, yes the ex Newcastle flop? Or so he was dubbed anyway. Payet assist, both of them were together when Bielsa's Marseille clicked.

Of course CL would be PSG top priority I reckon, may open up Ligue 1 a bit?

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Also of note, just Googled it and I see Marseille won! 

Away at PSG. Bit of a notable result, for AVB despite his tribulations here. Think it was a reasonably strong PSG side too?

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Psg have not had a good few weeks since the champions league final. They didn’t really have a pre season anyway and they had a fair few test positive for covid which would have lessened their already short preparation. So while the starting XI looked strong they were all basically playing for the first time since the champions league final. Then look at the bench. 

It could open up the Ligue 1 race some but still see PSG winning it in the end. 

16 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Finally?

Monaco won the title in 2017.

I watched this game, it wasn't that eventful, even the 5 players getting sent off was really just handbags. The punch by Neymar was more like a tap. I was glad that Marseille won because it would be good to see a title race but it seemed like they scored with their only chance, not convinced they are even close to PSG when they eventually get going. Hopefully Lyon can put a challenge together after they did well in the CL but they finished 28pts behind PSG in 28 games last season.

17 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don't consider 2 different champions in the last 8 seasons much in the way of competition. 

Particularly when half of those have been won at a canter.

True, but that's better than Serie A or the Bundesliga...

I so hope that never happens to the premier league (unless by some absolute miracle it's us)

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

I watched this game, it wasn't that eventful, even the 5 players getting sent off was really just handbags. The punch by Neymar was more like a tap. I was glad that Marseille won because it would be good to see a title race but it seemed like they scored with their only chance, not convinced they are even close to PSG when they eventually get going. Hopefully Lyon can put a challenge together after they did well in the CL but they finished 28pts behind PSG in 28 games last season.

Selling Memphis Depay to Barcelona so could be a big loss in terms of a title race. 

On 14/09/2020 at 00:20, JamesBCFC said:

Although it may not look like it recently since PSG were bought by a nation Ligue 1 has been more of a competition than the Premier League. Since the inception of the Premier League in 1992 there have been 7 winners. Since the conversion of the old French first division to Ligue 1 in 1993 there have been 10 winners. In addition to PSG, Nantes, Auxerre, Monaco, Lens, Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseille, Lille and Montpellier have all won the league. 

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Although it may not look like it recently since PSG were bought by a nation Ligue 1 has been more of a competition than the Premier League. Since the inception of the Premier League in 1992 there have been 7 winners. Since the conversion of the old French first division to Ligue 1 in 1993 there have been 10 winners. In addition to PSG, Nantes, Auxerre, Monaco, Lens, Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseille, Lille and Montpellier have all won the league. 

Granted, though the bulk of those were in the first 9 seasons, before Lyon went on their 7 season run.

More recently the league has been won at a canter, by both PSG and in their one recent season Monaco.

Even with Liverpool and Man City having very dominant seasons recently we have still had some recent genuine title races. 

Perhaps a competition again would have been better wording.

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Like the 9 years when it was only won by United or Arsenal, or the 7 years when it was Chelsea or United?

But it was a genuine competition between United and Arsenal or Chelsea and United.

Man City winning on the final day.

Liverpool nearly winning it and collapsing under Rogers.

24 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Granted, though the bulk of those were in the first 9 seasons, before Lyon went on their 7 season run.

More recently the league has been won at a canter, by both PSG and in their one recent season Monaco.

Even with Liverpool and Man City having very dominant seasons recently we have still had some recent genuine title races. 

Perhaps a competition again would have been better wording.

That's fair, I was just trying to point out that despite all Sky and the BBC tell us the Premier League is not as competitive as they would have us believe. In recent seasons both Liverpool and Manchester City have won it at a canter too. In fact if you stretched things to teams finishing in the top 3 or 4 most of the top leagues in Europe would be as competitive, if not more so, than the Premier League. The PL is not the best league in the world, just the best marketed. 

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

That's fair, I was just trying to point out that despite all Sky and the BBC tell us the Premier League is not as competitive as they would have us believe. In recent seasons both Liverpool and Manchester City have won it at a canter too. In fact if you stretched things to teams finishing in the top 3 or 4 most of the top leagues in Europe would be as competitive, if not more so, than the Premier League. The PL is not the best league in the world, just the best marketed. 

Also fair comments.

I wasnt out to laud the Prem, and fully agree with your last sentence.

23 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Finally?

Monaco won the title in 2017.

Completely forgot about that. So they did! Team got taken apart in summer 2017 of course, three of them- Mendy, Silva, Mbappe- to petrostate clubs.

That Monaco side together for a few years could've hit some real heights I reckon, as a genuine second force in the League and strong in Europe.

That was a side who had also within recent years sold Martial and Rodriguez.

Archived