IGNORED

Nailsea Glass

BigTone

Being a Nailsea lad I recently bought 2 Nailsea glass vases on Ebay for circa £30 each delivered. Had them valued at over £600 for the pair.  Happy days. There are plenty of Bristol Blue glass items on there as well. Well worth a punt and look good as well.

41 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Well that should buy you a few fishing rods! Forgive my ignorance but what is Nailsea glass?

Nailsea was the hub of local glassmaking around 1780s until roughly a hundred later. It closed down due to difficulties transporting coal to fuel the furnaces. There’s not much of  Nailsea glass around these days and Big Tone has got an exceptional deal!

Theres a Tesco on the site these days but a statue stands outside of a glassmaker and the local spoons is also caused the glassmaker.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Once went on a pub crawl round Nailsea, (grew up there) and we collected an ash tray from every pub we went to, ended up with over a dozen by the end of the night! :D 

I'm still not over the old barn closing.

My Dad collected the yellow glass which I believe was locally produced but the Bristol blue glass is more famous .

I wiped out a whole shelf of his treasured possessions whilst playing footy indoors and my slipper flew off as I struck the ball and arrived sideways on , on the top shelf of the ‘chiffonnier ‘ and after a direct hit on a couple of pieces , they toppled and the rest committed yellow glass suicide as they launched themselves to the floor .

He had the last laugh though as he trod on my budgie.

On 14/09/2020 at 21:42, Robbored said:

Nailsea was the hub of local glassmaking around 1780s until roughly a hundred later. It closed down due to difficulties transporting coal to fuel the furnaces. There’s not much of  Nailsea glass around these days and Big Tone has got an exceptional deal!

Theres a Tesco on the site these days but a statue stands outside of a glassmaker and the local spoons is also caused the glassmaker.

Tesco was where the old glass works were? (I was brought up in Nailsea from 0 till I was 12) I always thought THIS was the site of the old Nailsea glassworks. Well bugger me wrong and I've learnt something new.

4 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Tesco was where the old glass works were? (I was brought up in Nailsea from 0 till I was 12) I always thought THIS was the site of the old Nailsea glassworks. Well bugger me wrong and I've learnt something new.

The Tesco goes over the majority of the old glassworks and on the other side of the road there’s now a new green space with mounds and pathways o er the the remaining old glassworks site.

On 14/09/2020 at 17:47, BigTone said:

Being a Nailsea lad I recently bought 2 Nailsea glass vases on Ebay for circa £30 each delivered. Had them valued at over £600 for the pair.  Happy days. There are plenty of Bristol Blue glass items on there as well. Well worth a punt and look good as well.

Any vintage Coates cider, Tone?

12 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Teletubby hill! :D 

spot on Dolls,as a kid,a mate and i used to visit an old tramp type man sometimes who lived in a rough old house there,he would let us have a dig around in the paths and small tunnels he had created there to find bits of this stuff. his house was full of it. strange old man,had hundreds of tins of condensed milk stacked in his kitchen. personally,i thought avon motor centre was built on top of the majority of the site before it all got redeveloped.the road behind the royal oak was a gravel track that went into nailsea park where that old structure is next to the rat infested play area outside tesco

As kids we used to look at old maps of Nailsea to work out what were parks or picnic areas back in the day. Then we would go to these places and see what we could dig up. Old bottles with the glass marble thingy in the neck were the most common.

2b618ba745dcb724d149c0e4a50ee991--glass-marbles-glass-bottles.jpg.cf.jpg

54af3166274fa7cb8ed00e21d6efcb83.jpg.cf.jpg

11 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I dug up some old mapping and overlaid the present supermarket. Hope you can make out where everything is. Nailsea veterans can guide me if it's not quite right.

NailsGlass.png.f4ac868fcc97cc4dd2dbf8c5a5450555.png

The only thing missing is Stan Hills barber shop

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

And the Friendhip is no longer there. The site has been developed into various accommodations

Lots has changed Robbo. When we first lived in Wyatts Close on Mizzymead we were right on the edge of town. Your bowls club came along some years later.

• Admin
On 15/09/2020 at 14:06, Dollymarie said:

Once went on a pub crawl round Nailsea, (grew up there) and we collected an ash tray from every pub we went to, ended up with over a dozen by the end of the night! :D 

Had many happy pub crawls around Nailsea, IIRC correctly at that time it was the Nailsea 9.  A pint in each and we always ended up back in the Friendship.

12 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Had many happy pub crawls around Nailsea, IIRC correctly at that time it was the Nailsea 9.  A pint in each and we always ended up back in the Friendship.

We included the Blue Flame and The Barn, so I’m certain we were in double figures by the end of the night. Ended up in the RM bar! ?

31 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sawyers Arms was always my haunt

And mine a few years ago. It was in there that I came across the City players regularly in the days of Danny Wilson.

Several times Scot Murray was warned by the landlord about his bad language. The more he drank the more profane he got and was finally banned.  

We did have some laughs in there tho.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

And mine a few years ago. It was in there that I came across the City players regularly in the days of Danny Wilson.

Several times Scot Murray was warned by the landlord about his bad language. The more he drank the more profane he got and was finally banned.  

We did have some laughs in there tho.

I'm thinking back to mid 70's when it was run by Bill & Greta Standing. Their son Shaun was a year or so above me at school and joined the Navy. Caught up with him later in Adelaide when Ark Royal visited. He had a weekend pass and was in a right state when we returned him to ship somewhat late.

• Admin
10 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

We included the Blue Flame and The Barn, so I’m certain we were in double figures by the end of the night. Ended up in the RM bar! ?

Ours included the Blue Flame, who wouldn’t include it, one of my favourite pubs.  Can recall going in their years ago and one of the locals from a nearby farm had cooked a swan that met its maker on some overhead power lines - only in the Flame......

Archived