IGNORED

This Years Carabao Cup Winners...

Silvio Dante

...don’t go into the Europa League.

Instead, they go into the “UEFA Europa Conference League”. The Europa League in 2021-22 reverts to 32 teams from the current 64 and the majority of lower ranked countries, along with secondary cup winners/lower league placed qualifiers from England, Italy etc go into the UECL. 

Winners of the UECL get a place in the following seasons Europa League.

Two Thoughts:

1. With the condensed COVID season and the lower carrot at the end, there is no way prem clubs will take this competition seriously now. We’re talking not just reserves but I’d guess a few U23s

2. I bet LJ is gutted - This was clearly the Europe in 5 years plan!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54133192

7 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I've still never sampled or seen this particular energy drink sold anywhere whatsoever.

Granted, I don't drink RedBull or any of the alternatives, but after 3 or 4 years, you would expect it to be everywhere by now.

Is it still sponsored? Most places seem to just call it the EFL Cup or League Cup now.

9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I've still never sampled or seen this particular energy drink sold anywhere whatsoever.

Granted, I don't drink RedBull or any of the alternatives, but after 3 or 4 years, you would expect it to be everywhere by now.

It's in a few supermarkets and BP / M&S petrol stations is mainly where I see it. I do tend to drink a lot of energy drinks as I dont drink coffee. Tried it once, didn't really like it

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Seems like I’m in the minority who like the competition. Good chance to see players who we don’t normally see. 

Agree. It is a chance for teams to draw bigger clubs and/or see a lot of youth play. Looking forward to tonight to see some fresh faces.

A lot of championship and prem teams have big squads with proven players. So even if there are 8-9 changes with a lot of teams, there are still some good players playing. If the bigger clubs can scrape through to the later rounds you will see them take it more seriously. 

57 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Seems like I’m in the minority who like the competition. Good chance to see players who we don’t normally see. 

This season especially, as I think it gives a manager the chance to play players to get them up to speed before it gets really condensed at the back end of October.

If we win tonight it’s 3 games worth of 60-90 minutes he can get into a relatively big squad of players....without gambling on league game selection.

10 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Only place I ever saw it was Poundland.

I believe the idea for the new competition is for clubs in the smaller nations to still have something competitive to play for in Europe, although Champions League qualifying teams could lose 2 games (CL and then Europa qualifier) and end up in the Conference - most likely one of those teams will be favourites to win it.  Similar thoughts to the Nations League - at least the likes of San Marino etc are having competitive games rather than getting thumped each time.

The Europa league will be condensed accordingly, and all 3 competitions will be identical in structure I believe - 8 groups of 4 teams then into knockout phase.

It's kind of a modern day equivalent of the Cup Winners Cup.

Archived