IGNORED

Paul Simpson - Interview

Davefevs

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

23 minutes long....just started watching it.

Was about to start the same topic. Simpson comes across as a real class act and a true footballing man. Think SL might be thinking he already has the successor to DH. Might be our most astute signing this window

I mean, it's just the way it sounds but 13:05 and the way he got the England coaching job "Lady luck, living close, turned up to watch, got offered a job". It's no insult to him and I have no idea about his coaching ability, but when people are impressed that someone is an England youth coach... yeah, I'm not. Maybe it isn't the full story, and there were assessments and a dedicated interview, but we weren't told that so only going off stuff we heard! 

Talks really well, and this is the best piece of content from the media team in a while and I hope we get a "get to know you" video about all of the coaching staff. Do one for each of the players too.

As with all coaches you never know how good they are at actually coaching! Our first impressions of the coaching team is that they changed absolutely nothing in the performance at the weekend. They obviously need time, and player personnel changes things too, and this season more than most it's understandable that any team isn't totally ready. Paul Simpson, very easy to get behind, makes sense with his ideas.

Was a class act he is, so knowledgeable, yet humble, coherent, well spoken, but clearly a footballing man through and through. Who knows, but I think we really do have a chance this year

I remember watching Live his hatrick against us for derby, it was the first time I watched in real time an act of daylight robbery as we went on to win it 4-3.... against their 10 men.... junior bent and all, happy days....

Lots to like about this guy. He's got bags of experience and a nice manner.

I think he's a great conduit between players and the manager. 

Just gives me the feeling he will be a great support for DH and bring that little bit of X factor and experience when we're up against the older crafty managers that always seem to work us out .... Mowbray, Colin, etc 

The first time we’ve heard any info on how he was approached....was it Dean, was it MA, etc?

So, it appears Dean was at interview stage (not sure which number interview it was) and approached Simmo, who had been his boss at Shrewsbury.  Had always assumed he was a Manc like Holden, but he’s from Carlisle.

So I guess we can lay to bed it was Ashton bringing in who he wanted???

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The first time we’ve heard any info on how he was approached....was it Dean, was it MA, etc?

So, it appears Dean was at interview stage (not sure which number interview it was) and approached Simmo, who had been his boss at Shrewsbury.  Had always assumed he was a Manc like Holden, but he’s from Carlisle.

So I guess we can lay to bed it was Ashton bringing in who he wanted???

I thought it was said previously that DH approached them? Can’t remember who said it but I always thought it was DH’s idea. 

I haven’t watched the interview yet but from reading this and other threads my feeling is that we have ‘nice, decent footballing blokes’ in management/coaching roles. This could work well or be too much the same?

My impression of LJ was his way or the highway, have we gone too far the other way now? I’m still in the Holden was one of the three who ‘failed’ camp, he and his two coaches will have to convince me otherwise. The Coventry performance didn’t show me anything had changed really.

Yes obviously early days, but sometimes a new manager has gone into a club and the difference is noticeable straight away. And don’t forget Dean has been here for four years, shouldn’t need or be given too much bedding in time, new players or not.

Just now, RedM said:

I haven’t watched the interview yet but from reading this and other threads my feeling is that we have ‘nice, decent footballing blokes’ in management/coaching roles. This could work well or be too much the same?

My impression of LJ was his way or the highway, have we gone too far the other way now? I’m still in the Holden was one of the three who ‘failed’ camp, he and his two coaches will have to convince me otherwise. The Coventry performance didn’t show me anything had changed really.

Even though they seem nice blokes, I get the impression that they are far more experienced than the previous ensemble. I always thought LJ’s behaviour was down to poor man management more than coaching ability.

It’s difficult to say about performance because there are too many injuries and we haven’t seen the likes of Walsh or Morrell, and the newbies yet.

41 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes obviously early days, but sometimes a new manager has gone into a club and the difference is noticeable straight away. And don’t forget Dean has been here for four years, shouldn’t need or be given too much bedding in time, new players or not.

The difference is that DH has done away with the bovine excrement and , in true Northern stereotype, calls a spade, spade. I am sure in an earlier interview he said that his family of twenty lived in a shoe box at the side of the road...

He is bedding in a new formation and , despite the familiarity , the players will still fighting for their places in the new regime.

What I really like is the move away from the lovely, lovely boys who all needed love , an arm around the shoulder and to be tucked up in bed by the coach , to a more pragmatic type of ‘winner’. 

It could all go pear shaped but I am happy with the debut. 

9 minutes ago, bris red said:

Jury is still out for me on this coaching setup - they can talk well all they want but it’s results and results only that they will be judged on.

Quite rightly so, however unspectacular it's been so far it's 2 wins from 2 games.

Whilst you cannot be complacent and assume a shoe in win for tonight you would expect it to be 3 from 3 with Sundays game being the toughest prospect so far.

50 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Quite rightly so, however unspectacular it's been so far it's 2 wins from 2 games.

Whilst you cannot be complacent and assume a shoe in win for tonight you would expect it to be 3 from 3 with Sundays game being the toughest prospect so far.

Yep, it’s 4 wins 2 draws and a defeat from 7 so far.

Its far from perfect, Holden et all know that.  They are conveying that message back to the fans (and the players too I guess) rather than sugar-coating it.

We have injuries, we had an international break to contend with that impacted prep for both games.

Probably the only real consensus of a complaint is Weimann in midfield, and even as a poster who rates him, I disagree with him playing there.  But I do think it’s partly down to injuries.  I can’t believe he continues there with Walsh, Williams and Morrell back from injury and Nagy fully refreshed.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

23 minutes long....just started watching it.

Thanks for pointing it out, Dave. Great interview.

I like the way Simpson, Holden & Downing are all coming across. They seem to be a real team, and the mention of how the performance analysts plan and arrange training session and preseason was interesting. Clearly a lot of faith in these behind the scenes guys to drill into the statistics and put together tailored sessions for the team.

Holden is clearly willing to buy into that philosophy and it does perhaps show that the top level of our management system may not be quite as important as at other clubs, although Dean obviously has the overall tactical and selection responsibility.

I was disappointed not to get a bigger name as manager, but this team have started well and seem to have set the club on the right track so far. Experienced players have been brought in, we’re showing a bit of nous on the pitch and the management team seem to want to put together a squad where everyone knows their role and everyone wants to do their bit for the team. Those last two bits tend to be the common denominators for successful teams, talent can only get you so far, teamwork and knowing your role within the team is what can make a real difference.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

From what we've seen and know of LJ I have to give Holden the benefit of the doubt that even if he tried to give LJ advice, he'd have felt he knew better. He didn't strike me as the sort of guy that would admit when he was wrong or take advice well, more likely to stubbornly keep going at what he was doing and hope it came good (hence the runs of poor results).

It sounds to me like Dean has surrounded himself with experience, and from listening to that interview (which I really enjoyed) they will give him the help he needs if they see him focusing on the wrong things.

I didn't want to see complete overhaul, I wanted to see the players given a bit of belief and confidence. On paper we have a fantastic squad and many people in football rate our players.

Also, we DID see an immediate impact with the results at the end of the season, and although I didn't watch Coventry and it seems it wasn't perfect, it was also a fairly new team in terms of some on-pitch partnerships. PS says in his interview that it'll take a while for the training ground changes to show on the pitch but that it's important to get the results in the meantime. 2 wins out of 2 so far, can't argue with that.

Read the interview highlights on Bristol Live. He talks about him and DH wanting a team that presses and quickly wins possession back. Also that plays football rather than go long to strikers. 

Will be happy if we get to see that. Can't say it's been evident at all so far. Once all the injured players are back we will get chance to judge. It's easy to talk about but let's actually see some of it on the pitch please. 

The new management team has considerably more experience than the previous.

While Holden is the rookie Head Coach, he appears to have a willingness to take advice from others. Was that LJ's biggest failing?

Simpson and Downing have been around the coaching side for twenty years and with Brunt as our new Wilbraham, the coaching at the club has been comprehensively overhauled.

We have to wait awhile to see if we have done the right things. Seems like most City fans have been waiting all our lives so we should be expert at it!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Its far from perfect, Holden et all know that.  They are conveying that message back to the fans (and the players too I guess) rather than sugar-coating it.

We have injuries, we had an international break to contend with that impacted prep for both games.

Probably the only real consensus of a complaint is Weimann in midfield, and even as a poster who rates him, I disagree with him playing there.  But I do think it’s partly down to injuries.  I can’t believe he continues there with Walsh, Williams and Morrell back from injury and Nagy fully refreshed.

Perfect record since Dean had his own staff though :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, markcarter said:

100% agree with this.  

Against Exeter the team were playing the opposite of the style described, often choosing to go all the way back to the keeper from halfway inside the opposition half, doing it slowly with no momentum, just as per much of the last 2.5 years.  There was no sign that the players had been coached to play it forward early and move with pace.  And yet Holden described the performance as excellent ?‍♂️  How is that possible when it was the opposite of what he wants?  

Against Coventry, it was difficult to tell what the style was first half as after the first minute, we were entirely under the cosh and couldn’t pass the ball at all in the limited time we had it, giving it away regularly even when under little pressure.  For the last half an hour our least experienced midfielder appeared to do what was wanted, pressing to win the ball and playing it quickly forward.  At least on this occasion Holden (& Kalas) admitted we were ? for an hour.

What I would like to see is some fast paced football with positive intent which engrossed me and provides some excitement, of which we have seen little since December 2017.  In the first 2 competitive games, there has been not very much of that.  Let’s hope we aren’t overrun by teams that are stronger, better passers or have more guile, before the team can start to implement what they are apparently being coached to do.

Of course it can be frustrating when the ball goes from high up the pitch and then backwards.  But that is part of the modern game, and we see the likes of Man City and Liverpool doing it all the time.  They go from advanced positions all the way back, across and then down the other side....and repeat, until the gap appears.  Under LJ we rarely cycled the ball from one side of the pitch to the other, let alone back the other way too.  What we do need to watch for a 4 or 5 passes around the defence then 'boom' it forward.  It means the CM3 go from trying to find angles for short passes to watching the ball go over their heads and totally out of position to join the attack or pick up knock-downs / second balls.  This was evident under LJ, but especially SOD.  Of course it will happen under Holden too, but the evidence of 7 games under him is that it happens less often.

Against Exeter, where did the first goal come from?  Started with Hunt, high up on the RW, got cycled back via Dasilva to Moore (on halfway line), who then broke the lines with a pass to Weimann.  You know the rest.

The second goal, again high up on RW, and although it didn't go back to the halfway line, we worked it across the pitch via the penalty area, back to Dasilva who was 30-35 yards from goal.  At that point, if we were playing Rugby, you'd say wed lost 20 yards of territory.  But it allowed Antoine to receive a pass with his CB marker isolated wide.  He spins him, gets away.  You the know the rest here.

I agree that 50 minutes against Coventry wasn't very good, we aren't going to be able to play "our way" every game all game.  But, again, the evidence of the last 25-30 minutes shows what we are trying to do.  Coventry worked bloody hard to stop us, coupled with some 'issues' that Holden resolved.  They tired.  Better to finish strong than the other way around.  We are nowhere near full-strength either.

People are going to have to get used to a more patient, controlled approach in certain phases of possession.  There will be intent to pass forward quickly, but that doesn't mean every ball will be forward and even when it is, it doesn't have to be the main move of the attack.  It can get you up the pitch where you can start to control...and I think this is where you start to see the benefit of Martin up top over Fam if that how Holden plays it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was great, but there is some balance to the debate.

8E289F8D-3ED2-4686-84B3-51D4BEA0B5E1_1_201_a.jpeg.97da679c4c99c9edd341c54f7256f89f.jpeg

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That's promotion points return of 2 per game...

No issue with the current record 

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of course it can be frustrating when the ball goes from high up the pitch and then backwards.  But that is part of the modern game, and we see the likes of Man City and Liverpool doing it all the time.  They go from advanced positions all the way back, across and then down the other side....and repeat, until the gap appears.  Under LJ we rarely cycled the ball from one side of the pitch to the other, let alone back the other way too.  What we do need to watch for a 4 or 5 passes around the defence then 'boom' it forward.  It means the CM3 go from trying to find angles for short passes to watching the ball go over their heads and totally out of position to join the attack or pick up knock-downs / second balls.  This was evident under LJ, but especially SOD.  Of course it will happen under Holden too, but the evidence of 7 games under him is that it happens less often.

Against Exeter, where did the first goal come from?  Started with Hunt, high up on the RW, got cycled back via Dasilva to Moore (on halfway line), who then broke the lines with a pass to Weimann.  You know the rest.

The second goal, again high up on RW, and although it didn't go back to the halfway line, we worked it across the pitch via the penalty area, back to Dasilva who was 30-35 yards from goal.  At that point, if we were playing Rugby, you'd say wed lost 20 yards of territory.  But it allowed Antoine to receive a pass with his CB marker isolated wide.  He spins him, gets away.  You the know the rest here.

I agree that 50 minutes against Coventry wasn't very good, we aren't going to be able to play "our way" every game all game.  But, again, the evidence of the last 25-30 minutes shows what we are trying to do.  Coventry worked bloody hard to stop us, coupled with some 'issues' that Holden resolved.  They tired.  Better to finish strong than the other way around.  We are nowhere near full-strength either.

People are going to have to get used to a more patient, controlled approach in certain phases of possession.  There will be intent to pass forward quickly, but that doesn't mean every ball will be forward and even when it is, it doesn't have to be the main move of the attack.  It can get you up the pitch where you can start to control...and I think this is where you start to see the benefit of Martin up top over Fam if that how Holden plays it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was great, but there is some balance to the debate.

8E289F8D-3ED2-4686-84B3-51D4BEA0B5E1_1_201_a.jpeg.97da679c4c99c9edd341c54f7256f89f.jpeg

I wish you'd take time to add some detail to your posts....

Do you have a job? ?

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No.  Haven’t since April when my contract ended.

You'd do a blinding job doing the analytical work for city! 

The detail and quality of posts are quite exceptional

Sorry to hear about the job situ. I'm sure many reds have the same problem. Let's hope our economy gets back to some normality soon!

Archived