IGNORED

City v Northampton Town (19:45 Wed 16th Sept) - match day thread

Davefevs

Northampton Town: [Wednesday 16th September – 19:45] – What can we expect?

City entertain Northampton Town in the EFL Cup 2nd Round tie having beaten Exeter City last week.  The Cobblers are new arrivals in League One, having beaten City’s 1st Round opponents Exeter City 4-0 in the Play-off Final in June.  They had finished in 7th position on points per game method following the early curtailment of League Two.  So far this season they have beaten Cardiff City 3-0 to reach the 2nd round, whilst drawing in the League to Wimbledon and a loss in the EFL Trophy to MK Dons.  A mixed bag then.

Manager:

For the second game running, City face a team managed by an old-boy, this time Keith Curle.  A former Rovers player under Terry Cooper, he was converted from a left winger to a centre-back by “TC” and went on to play top-flight football, earning 3 England caps.  Whilst at City he was a key player in the two Wembley cup-runs.

91E54071-B681-4B4A-958A-B81649936F68.thumb.jpeg.f91c3668182a1997f279e8a4de9f62a4.jpeg

Figure 1 - Keith Curle

As a manager he has done the rounds at Mansfield Town, Chester City, Torquay United, Notts County and Carlisle United, whilst also being assistant to Neil Warnock at Crystal Palace and QPR.

Formation / System:

The Cobblers play a 3412 (5212) formation, but at times use a standard 352 – a bit like City.

B22B6E55-A7C9-491B-9A18-9A92ABFB157A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cff918c636107228a4471a1a214dcc4b.jpeg

Figure 2 - Formation against AFC Wimbledon

It is fair to say that they like to play direct, albeit a little less so far this season – that may be the result of three new centre-backs, one of who schooled in the Brentford way.  They hit the most long balls in League Two last season, and the 4th highest long balls per 90 minutes, so no surprises that possession wasn’t in the top half of the division.  But in saying that, they work hard to get it back, being the 3rd best in limiting opposition passes – Exeter were top for context.  They topped the charts for aerial duel and fouls - a team that isn’t made in the mould of their manager as a player! 

Goalkeeper Steve Arnold – just the 1 short pass to his defenders, everything else long!

63855F2D-B0F2-4094-90D7-3831E24CFD12_4_5005_c.jpeg.3a9c3eaa41546db40d859ec82dff1119.jpeg

Figure 3 - Steve Arnold - passes

Central midfielders Christian Missilou (left) and Ryan Watson (right) complement each, one combative, one creative respectively.

5C29A493-012B-47C1-B7BC-BCF683D887DB_4_5005_c.jpeg.988fcc9ac3122a488de37f2fb89baf15.jpeg

Figure 4 – Missilou – duels won / lost

E55A881D-B074-44A9-9A5C-815A5FC3A181_4_5005_c.jpeg.d0d473c53d631fab9db1ab633d1e901c.jpeg

Figure 5 - Ryan Watson - passes

Recruitment:

Not easy to look at the ins and outs and draw conclusions from transfer fees, as they haven’t really spent anything! They did however sell one of the stand-out League Two centre-backs – Charlie Goode for £1m to Brentford, having picked him up cheaply the previous summer from Scunthorpe.  They have replaced him with Cian Bolger on a free.  That’s the kind of recruitment that happens below the Championship.

Line-up:

GK: Steve Arnold (31) – ex-Shrewsbury man who arrived last summer and made a dozen appearances last season.  Jonathan Mitchell (25) has joined on loan and made his debut against MK Dons in the EFL Trophy defeat.

RWB: Michael Harriman (27) – free transfer from Wycombe last summer having started at QPR.  In and out of the team last season, but played every minute of the 3 play-off games. 

RCB: Luka Racic (21) – Danish born defender, who has played at all age groups from u16 to u21. On loan from Brentford having started at FC Copenhagen.

CB: Cian Bolger (28) – signed in the summer as Goode’s replacement.  At 6’4” he can be a threat from set-pieces and had a good scoring record at Fleetwood.  Previous loan spell at Bristol Rovers, has been named captain by Curle.

LCB: Fraser Horsfall (23) – arrived last month on a free from Macclesfield, via Kidderminster, having started at Huddersfield.  2 yellow cards already this season.

LWB: Mark Marshall (34) – evergreen winger / wingback from Manchester – Manchester, Jamaica.  Been around the lower leagues and signed in January, causing all manner of problems in the play-off final.

CM: Christopher Missilou (28) – French-Congolese midfielder, signed on a free from Oldham in the summer.  Started in Auxerre, his hometown, before appearing for several lower league French teams.  Possible starter is ex-Rovers man Chris Lines (30), who joined in summer 2019, who featured in 31 of the 37 league games, but had to be content with sitting on the bench in the play-off final.

CM: Ryan Watson (27) – former Everton and Wigan youngster who arrived last summer from MK Dons.  Had previously been on loan to The Cobblers in 14/15 from Leicester.  Good passer with an eye for a goal.  My DANGERMAN

AB425ADD-5463-4921-A36D-90717FCA11ED.jpeg.1557e58b2aa2fc4f60408b115dfd0d19.jpeg

Figure 6 - Dangerman - Ryan Watson

AM: Ricky Korboa (24) – signed from non-league Carshalton in the summer for a nominal fee, he has started really well, with a goal and 2 assists in 3 starts.

CF: Benny Ashley-Seal (21) – signed from Wolves last week and had a loan in Portugal (not the usual Jorge Mendes way) last season pre-Christmas before being loaned to Accrington.  His place may be at risk from Harry Smith (23), who at 6’5” is suited to Northampton’s style, but has good feet and mobility. 7 goals in 12 starts (17 subs).

CF: Matt Warburton (28) – former Stockport and Salford frontman who can operate wide.  A danger from set-pieces.

How do we win?

Should be a contrast in styles, and much may depend on the eleven that Holden starts with.  There is an expectation that Mawson, Martin and Sessegnon of the new boys will start, and possibly Morrell too.  Holden will want to get minutes into some players.

For other players it will be a chance to give Holden a little reminder of what they are capable of, and a good performance may give them a chance of being involved against Stoke City on Sunday.  Also, if City can progress there is another Cup match the week after with Aston Villa or Burton waiting.

You would hope City have too much quality, but often these games come down to attitude and desire, as well as executing the fundamentals well.  It will be a good test for Vyner and Moore should they play, as they will certainly face an aerial challenge.

City will need to ensure that Watson isn’t given time on the ball in midfield, as he can pick a pass.  From set-pieces, Bolger will be the target, or Warburton if close enough for a shot.  Whoever plays in front of our Back 3 will need to be very aware to ensure loose balls aren’t picked up by the advancing Cobblers’ midfielders.  Bolger was caught trying to play out on Saturday, so there is opportunity to take advantage of smart pressing from the City front-line.

Prediction:

Win the battles, anticipate the nod-downs, and City can enjoy a comfortable evening

Bristol City 3 : 0 Northampton Town

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Seneca the Younger pictures added in the edit.

Not too many changes for me, but agree minutes in legs.

Bentley

Moore Kalas Mawson
Sessegnon    Brunt Bakinson   Rowe        
                       Paterson

Wells Martin

Just seen Morrell is out injured, not sure who else could play LWB if Rowe doesn’t play and O’Dowda injured

1 hour ago, daored said:

Bentley

Moore Kalas Mawson
                       Paterson

Wells Martin

Just seen Morrell is out injured, not sure who else could play LWB if Rowe doesn’t play and O’Dowda injured

What is Morrels injury and how long expected out? 

• The title was changed to City v Northampton Town (19:45 Wed 16th Sept) - match day thread
2 hours ago, daored said:

Bentley

Moore Kalas Mawson
                       Paterson

Wells Martin

Wouldn’t be surprised if a Max gets a run-out in goal and Semenyo starts instead of Wells.

I think both Hunt and Rowe will be rested for tonight. I’d like to see Mawson and Kalas together to start building a relationship as it’s so important with a central pairing. 

In midfield I think Bakinson and Nagy will be involved. I’d like to see Martin and Semenyo up top aswell. Not sure if it will be Bents or O’Leary between the sticks?

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I think both Hunt and Rowe will be rested for tonight. I’d like to see Mawson and Kalas together to start building a relationship as it’s so important with a central pairing. 

In midfield I think Bakinson and Nagy will be involved. I’d like to see Martin and Semenyo up top aswell. Not sure if it will be Bents or O’Leary between the sticks?

Although I’ve picked Rowe in my suggested team, I think the most important partnership tonight is Mawson and Kalas....although having said that if Mawson plays LCB, it might be worth him getting to know Rowe too.  Who’d be a head-coach!

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Would you be able to do more match threads this season Dave?

Just my opinion but that’s exactly what I’d want from one. Detailed analysis that’s substantial but readable.

I appreciate some prefer the other style other posters do but I think this is better.

Room for both types imho.  I quite like the Peg, Havana MDTs....quite educational at times.  Was a tough one doing Northampton, as not seen many of their players.

Archived