IGNORED

City v Northampton Town (19:45 Wed 16th Sept) - match day thread

Davefevs

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Let’s forget all this ‘allowing for the opposition’ stuff and remember that they beat Cardiff in the last round.  That was the most complete performance by a City team since the promotion season.

Agreed however reading the Northampton forum other than back four they were missing 4 first team players. Still great for confidence and can only beat whats in front of you. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Great to see a City side, go out, try stuff, play some great, attacking football and come away with a deserved win. 

Yes and at 2-0 up with ten mins left, they didn't sit back. Instead they went looking for a third and continued pressing after that. A trait that's been missing in recent seasons.

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Let’s forget all this ‘allowing for the opposition’ stuff and remember that they beat Cardiff in the last round.  That was the most complete performance by a City team since the promotion season.

If only Tinnion could have mentioned that they beat Cardiff 3-0 in the last round ;)

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Have to agree re weimann, if him and pato both come back in after that,,, well wed better win...

we all know stoke will be tough, ive no idea now who will be in the starting 11.

Would be harsh to drop Pato after the start to the season he's had but either Nagy or Palmer must replace Weimann on Sunday. In fact I can't see how AW even makes the bench as Semenyo and Eliasson played so well tonight nice problems for Holden to have

best part of that was they came to dominate us physically,we saw that off after about 15 mins then passed it around them and wore them out.  A very good performance against a lower league side.. not sure it would work against a team in our division.. But great game management for a one off game.

Yes, Northampton are a league 1 outfit, but if this game had been played a year ago it would almost certainly have been a turgid affair, with us playing across and  back, players pretty static and the opposition putting us under pressure. We would probably have been lucky and snatched  a late second half winner.

It was a pleasure to see City on the front foot, taking the initiative and giving the opposition little chance to get back in the game.

There was pace and movement throughout the team and it was especially good to see us sustaining attacks in and around their penalty area - under LJ all too often our attacks would break down and we would be under pressure on the edge of our penalty area within a couple of quick passes. As others have commented, tonight we could see what Palmer offers - he was perpetual motion, getting back to make tackles but particularly looking dangerous every time he got the ball in and around their penalty area - he made the team tick and you can see him working well with Semenyo and Elliason.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Biggest difference for me compared to an LJ team.  MOVEMENT.

There was such good,  quick and constant movement in the opposition half.  Been screaming that for months. 

So refreshing to see.  COYR!!!

Totally agree. It was so fluid in the middle at times, with players popping up everywhere. It looked like Northampton were down to 10 as there were always so many available city shirts and none of this static hiding that became a hallmark last season. Great to see 

29 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Aww that’s lovely. I still don’t quite believe it to be honest, and she’s due the end of November! 

Congrats Dolls!

But will she be called Casey or Antoinette...? ?

Back to the game... Swagger. The first time in so long I've seen us play with swagger for a sustained period (I'd say it was an hour). Well done Holden & co for teasing it out of them tonight.

I don't think everyone's getting carried away I just think they're relieved to see us go out and perform how we should perform against a lower league side. 

As rightly pointed out a few posts back, in a similar home fixture under LJ we would have been a lot more restrained and therefore duller. 

As someone else posted, we had a swagger tonight which was great to see. 

Also, our squad showed some depth with a number of players pushing for more game time. That's a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

Well that was fun, don't blame Holden for Kalas too much. Possibly trying out the first team defence. Need the captain for Vyner, Bakinson possibly. Anyway didn't hate he played.

Likely a bottom league one team, but we were positive, kept going, and the players that were previously accused in lacking desire in Semenyo and Palmer were working for 90.

Not too sure about Sessegnon in the grand OTIB tradition of writing young players off after one game.

Yep, that’s why I wanted Kalas to play tonight too.

I thought we were up for the fight tonight, there was a little 5 minute spell in the first half where tackles and headers were flying in.  A good sign imho.

Sessegnon improved a lot in the second half, was rusty in the first.  Can certainly get up and down!

A really good exercise tonight.

4 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Weinman and Cod get nowhere near the starting 11 based on that.

All season preferably.

This is what you get when you swap aimless running with no intent, for genuine commitment and effort....

Bit harsh on Weimann I think, he has some good or decent end product (goals and assists) and being shoehorned into CM helps neither him or us.

As part of a front 2 in this setup for some games, or wide right (not wing) say 3-4-2-1 I think he could do fine. Not necessarily spectacular but fine. Like I say an option for some games only.

O'Dowda had a great spell in Autumn 2017 until his lengthy injury but very little since. Showed the odd bit but only in patches. 

9 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Well, with the obvious caveat that it was Northampton, that's the best home performance for a very long time and suddenly it looks a, lot harder to trim the squad. We could talk about any number of players tonight but I would like to mention Kasey Palmer. I have been a long term critic of his, not because of any lack of talent, which we know he possesses in spades, but because of his work ethic and seeming lack of interest to provide the performances required. Tonight however he showed in full what he can give to the team. The trick now is if given the opportunities, either from starts or off the bench, can he replicate that week in and week out in the Championship. 

Must also given a mention to Tins who introduced me to a new football term tonight when Sessegnon wazzed it across the box. 

As youngsters ‘ I’m going for a wazz ‘ meant going for a pee.

( Comes from ‘ wassailing’ ) 

Also completely changed the romantic wistful Rod Stewart into a bit of a laugh ‘ I’m wassailing, I’m wassailing... ‘ 

8 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

We’ve played Northampton, who were a league two side a few games ago and Coventry, league one side a couple of games ago.

We were good tonight, but we should be, we have far better quality players.

Lets not get carried away just yet.

Christ on a bike , how very dare we enjoy a demolition of another club in the cup where we were on a hiding to nothing .

The key points are :

The youngsters all looked good

The newbies equally.

The players already here all looked motivated and playing at there best.

That was the first time that those players have played together in a team and we are feeling our way into a new formation whilst there are other teams in front of us trying to ruin our progress.

I have followed City long enough to have seen us struggle to see off lower division clubs, who often raise their game for the occasion. 

I don’t think anyone is ‘ getting carried away ‘ but simply appreciating another very good performance and sharing with optimism and realism the rare pleasure of four nil victory , a good result against anyone.

Archived