IGNORED

Okay...what the holy hell do we do Sunday?

BCFC Rich

Exciting to see so many players staking a claim for a starting place. Eliasson and Sessegnon putting in a good showing at WB, Nagy, Bakinson and Palmer all looking good in CM, Martin showing a good touch and getting a goal, Semenyo with assists and showing great hold up play. All genuinely impressing and up for it, no one being carried or looking lack luster. Can't remeber enjoying a city game that much for quite  a while! Great Stuff! COYR!

If we assume Kalas is injured, then the GK and 3 CBS are settled. But the rest?

- Pato or KP? Pato has two goals and an assist, ditto KP

- Wells, Martin, Semenyo or Fam? I’d love to go the same two as tonight but is CM fit enough? Either way, Antoine is now firmly in the conversation and probably ahead of Fam and Wells on form

- The other two in midfield? I can’t see AW starting but two from Tyreeq, Adam, Han-Noah and Brunt? Who?

- The RB - gut says Hunt but Sess, particularly second half, excellent

- The LB - Rowe?

I don’t want to overreact as it’s Northampton. But, in a non tombola way, I genuinely have no idea what we’re lining up with on Sunday for a very positive reason 

I think the team from Cov are still your starting point for the league. It's then a case of monitoring for any knocks in training. As Tinnion said you can say to Palmer (for example) "look, you've done brilliantly but I need you for the Villa game so will rest you against Stoke." He can't complain there and I think it's great that we've put out two pretty different XIs that have both performed well (once they got going).

My only changes would be Massengo out for either Bakinson or another depending on fitness, and then I expect Moore to come in for Kalas.

2 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Drop Weinmann for Palmer, wont happen though, at least not until we need a goal or two though mind. 

I'd go along with that. Also would drop Pato to the bench. But he has been scoring goals so, despite his total absence for long periods of games, will probably keep his place. Sadly, in my book. I reckon we'd have a lot more cohesion and shape without those two in the team.

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Palmer for Weimann. Nagy for Massengo.

Rest remains the same.

This for me. Palmer and Nagy really need to grab this opportunity by the scruff of its neck - i really want to see those two in particular do well this season.. the talent is clearly there. No disrespect to Weimann but im really not a fan - great work ethic but nothing much more to offer and Massengo I genuinely don’t feel is quite physically ready to play week in week out in the Championship.

I hope tonight has shown Holden that his 3-3-2-2 isn't the best formation. Drop one of the attacking mids and replace with a centre mid so its a 3-4-1-2

Back three picks themselves. Elliason can play wing back with enough cover alongside and behind him. Hunt on the other.

The two sitting midfielders should be Bakinson and Nagy in the absence of Williams, Walsh and Morrell. 

The one, who knows, probably not Weimann but flip a coin between Pato and Palmer.

Finally Semenyo and Wells up front perhaps 

Holden won't trust Palmer against Stoke, he had a great game and played his way into the squad, but Northampton are a very different team to Stoke.  I think Nagy might play, but best KP can hope for is the bench.  If he starts playing like that regularly against better oppoistion then he has a future here, which is great news............  and at last Semenyo is showing how good he could become, so a good positive night.

I know it's just 2 games, but for me Bakinson has moved in front of Massengo now in terms of starting holding mid. Nagy demonstrated how clever he is at popping up in the space between the holding mid and no 10. Both Nagy and Bakinson are so positive on the ball when the pitch presents itself, and always look to play forward where possible. Pato should probably keep his place in the side, but with Palmer now breathing right down his neck. 

Once all fit, I think in terms of perfect rotation (but still keeping that central system fluid and consistent) Bakinson will rotate well with Brunt/Williams/Morrell. Nagy will rotate with Walsh/Williams, and Palmer with Pato and maybe Weimann. 

Harsh on Massengo, but I think at 19 the lad needs a season long loan somewhere in League 1, or Ligue 2 in France. Needs to just get game time. 

The main thing that tonight has shown me though is that we have too much talent in central midfield for Weimann to take up one of the 3 roles. Some will see that as harsh, but I see it as progressive. He'll still have a role to play mind. 

I think the big shock of the pre-season for Holden is surely Bakinson. Nobody expected this lad to be in contention, but it's already clear that Dean likes this lad a lot, and I think will trust him enough to throw him in there. 

Madness...

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To answer my own question, with the assumption that Martins not up to two games in a week (if so, he’s in for Wells) and that Kalas is out I reckon it’s:

Bentley

Hunt

Rowe

Mawson

Moore

Vyner

Bakinson

Nagy

Paterson

Semenyo

Wells

I’m just not there on a KP/Paterson combo in midfield yet!

I think I’d go same line up on Sunday bar Martin for Semenyo as he looked ready to me. I’m with you that it’s Pato or Palmer not both. 

Probably the hardest team selection I can remember but I would go

Bentley

Hunt

Vyner

Moore

Mawson

Eliasson - Difficult to decide so soon after tonight, Rowe would offer defensive stability but Eliasson would be such a good outlet and potentially push Stoke back with his forward runs, also Rowe on the bench covers LWB & CB

Bake-inson

Nagy

Palmer / Paterson - Again can't decide between them this soon after the game, leaning towards Paterson on the basis he would be fresh but Palmer's quality is better than JP's.

Martin

Wells (Semenyo is really pushing him now and Nakhi needs to start scoring regularly to keep AS out of the team as on tonights showing he offers slightly more in terms of assists and all round game, think we have a real talent in Semenyo)

Subs

O'Leary

Sessengnon

Rowe

Massengo

Pato / Palmer - Whoever doesn't start should 100% be on the bench out of these two

Diedhiou

Semenyo

Archived