IGNORED

Chris Martin

Kingswoodactor

Great performance tonight & the sort of striker we have been crying out for. I have to admit I was disappointed a season back when we were linked with Hugill and never got him for what ever reason.  Martin is very similar in my view.

Anyone got any ideas why he opted to leave  Derby and come here when Contract offer on table.  I guess we are not bigger payers than Derby ?  Pleased he did Mind ?

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Great performance tonight & the sort of striker we have been crying out for. I have to admit I was disappointed a season back when we were linked with Hugill and never got him for what ever reason.  Martin is very similar in my view.

Anyone got any ideas why he opted to leave  Derby and come here when Contract offer on table.  I guess we are not bigger payers than Derby ?  Pleased he did Ming ?

He obviously wanted to joint the Bristol City dynasty.

8 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Anyone got any ideas why he opted to leave  Derby and come here when Contract offer on table.  I guess we are not bigger payers than Derby ?  Pleased he did Mind ?

Contract length.

They offered 1 year guaranteed + 1 option.

We offered 2 years guaranteed. + 1 option.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree. He's an impressive individual and easy to see why he was so popular at Derby. 

Very articulate.

Manages to answer every question thoughtfully & without resorting to cliches.

A very useful addition, don’t expect him to start every game but he gives us something we can build from & is streetwise, too.

Excellent insurance for if Famara leaves late in the window, too.

With Martin on board providing the quality he does and with semenyo showing strength, power, pace, determination and an ability to score, I’m genuinely not worried if we sell Fam and don’t buy another. Weimann should be the 4th striker and that should be more than enough quality for the season ahead

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well spoken and thoughtful interview, I think there is a future in the game beyond playing. 

The ‘forwards’ coach we’ve needed for a decade or so. Think he could perform thar dual-role now. 

Seems ideal. 

Articulate, intellectually smart, driven and a winner.

Could be ideal for bringing on Semenyo and co, plus sharpen up Fammy. 

You compare Martin to fammy and it's a massive difference.For me it shows we've paid a big price for almost an average player in fam and yes if you compare the two fam is average, If you line these two up together and set the price tag to £5 million tick off the attributes each player brings to the game of play you would automatically know who the £5 million pound player is,Ok there is an age difference but what martin brings to the team could potentially bring a high reward.

And for me it shows over the last few years what money we've wasted on you would say average players for a large sum,McIndoe said in the past that we needed that experienced striker in that play off season to get us over the line is Martin that player.

9 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Great character for the team too

You see, I don’t disagree. But I have a mate who’s an Ipswich fan who absolutely hates Martin, more than any ex local rival relationship would be normally. After I told him that Chris had scored last night he bombarded me with newspaper links confirming that when CM was a Norwich player, he was barred from 80 pubs and done for assault

I think his character now is formed in part by the fact that he did take the wrong path as a youth and that set his career back. And, for me, that makes his experience even more valuable

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The way he talks in this interview, you'd be forgiven for thinking he was managing the team! 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

We have recruited two elder statesmen with Martin and Brunt. We desperately lacked such experience last season so hope the confidence will last as we get to play sides like Stoke.

“Managers on the pitch”.

Re the Brunt signing, I wasn’t necessarily sold on where he’d fit in from a playing point of view (and I think he’s a very good footballer) with the squad we had...but it was clear his signing (and Martin) is about experience, professionalism, standards.  And ensuring those standards are maintained throughout the squad, on and off the pitch, on the training ground, and away from it.

No cosy club with these two around.  Alby and Wade at another level in many respects.

I said Martin would be an astute signing for his playing ability alone.  But hearing him speak a couple of times, this is the DNA we want.

Wot I liked woz...

As soon as Martin scored his header he ran to Semenyo seemingly to praise the youngun for the cushioned header assist. Then, when Semenyo scored he also ran to young Antoine and had a word in his ear. He might have just been saying well-played, but seemed to be a nice dynamic of older head guiding the protege.

Archived