IGNORED

"We are still nowhere near where we want to be"...Refreshing

Mr Popodopolous

I've not see his full or in-depth ones but a snippet from BBC site.

Decent amount of praise of course but the opening line stood out:

"We are still nowhere near where we want to be".

Clearly some very high standards. Great to see! Exciting to see what we might be like when we peak and our injuries drop off as they surely need to...great range of options, and strong I hope fierce competition for places.

It's still early days of course but that line does give me some extra confidence and heart. 

"Still so much to work on", that's another.

What may also help is the constant run of games and a big squad that enables DH to give players game time and to put into practice what is being asked of them from the training ground

if you are winning and producing good performances then it breeds confidence 

In the 2017/18 season we saw similar with our cup run and the great league form for the first half of the season at least 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've not see his full or in-depth ones but a snippet from BBC site.

Decent amount of praise of course but the opening line stood out:

"We are still nowhere near where we want to be".

Clearly some very high standards. Great to see! Exciting to see what we might be like when we peak and our injuries drop off as they surely need to...great range of options, and strong I hope fierce competition for places.

It's still early days of course but that line does give me some extra confidence and heart. 

"Still so much to work on", that's another.

I agree with Dean’s comments , so far three home Wins !! Albeit against a league 2 team , a recently promoted league 2 and league 1 team. However , wins give confidence and we’re scoring goals! Tougher tests await but good to see younger players being given a chance 

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

What may also help is the constant run of games and a big squad that enables DH to give players game time and to put into practice what is being asked of them from the training ground

if you are winning and producing good performances then it breeds confidence 

In the 2017/18 season we saw similar with our cup run and the great league form for the first half of the season at least 

It all does seem pretty similar to that season,Remember Morrell and hinds etc played in the cups and we had another team in the league. 

I can't remember a 2nd string/almost completely different starting line up ever looking so focused and professional, with so many (of the same players) looking like they were trying to stake their claim, rather than looking half hearted. 

It's excellent, albeit against a lower level team, but who'd dispatched a Cardiff team in the previous round, that I presume didn't show our approach of last night. 

Interesting for me, was Tinnion's comment, when Vyner made a couple of sloppy errors at 2-0 up. 

He said, very clearly, that Dean Holden won't like that and expects things done properly. All the time. Always. 

You can't do much more to kick off your managerial reign that win 3 out of 3 with an 8-1 GD. 

Of course there's tougher challenges ahead, but it's a great start and the depth of our squad is looking good (we need another CB though if Kalas is out for any period of time)

Well done Dean & team ??

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pretty standard rhetoric from managers at this early stage in the season.

Yes it is, I only listened to the game yesterday and watched the highlights, but it does sound like we made Northampton look a poor team which must be making the Cardiff fans wonder.

Our first real stern test on Sunday, proper Championship opposition and away from home.

As far as the competition for places is concerned, I would like to think the Coaches have made it clear to the players from the start that they all will get game time, due to the condensed season. That would help considerably with motivation.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pretty standard rhetoric from managers at this early stage in the season.

While I agree, Holden does seem to steer away from a lot of the cliches and Johnsonisms. I've been impressed so far, he comes across well. Obviously he knows he has to get the fans onside, but so far I think he's doing a decent job of saying what the fans want to hear, as they all do, but without being obvious about it .

Excellent start, but..... against two league 2 sides from last season, and, did I not read that Coventry outplayed us for long periods?

Been following City for far too long to take any notice of home games results against lower league teams, in the league cup.

Lets re-evaluate after ten Championship games! 

It's more the not resting on laurels, always pushing for more that excites me more than the start itself.

Coventry we played a questionable shape for periods- Weimann and Paterson in 3 man CM just sees a questionable balance- changes made and we kicked on somewhat, Martin provided a strong platform in that one off the bench. Bakinson brought something- still not sure about the shape Saturday.

Then there is the depth, the power to add. Baker, Kalas, DaSilva, Williams, Walsh and Morrell all to come back into contention.

Sessegnon, Mawson, Martin- these 3 in particular but Brunt too, new signings. More they play, more patterns and partnerships will form, be understood.

The sudden blossoming of Bakinson and Semenyo- the confidence boost for in particular Palmer but also letting Eliasson have a runout- assist, played quite well- hit the post- LWB may or may not be appropriate in the League though!

Nobody should get carried away but there is a lot to be positive- perhaps cautiously optimistic- about.

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Excellent start, but..... against two league 2 sides from last season, and, did I not read that Coventry outplayed us for long periods?

Been following City for far too long to take any notice of home games results against lower league teams, in the league cup.

Lets re-evaluate after ten Championship games! 

Dream start in terms of sides played, it has allowed DH to tinker, shape and review how he might select going forward, as those games could be considered additional pre season friendly games.

Admittedly the Coventry game fell short of expectations, but that was rounded off with a lucky 3 points.

So it's all good.

Archived