IGNORED

Fam not as wanted as he thought

Clutton Caveman

Interesting how wrong Fam and his agent got it. No bids and each interested party walking away

Perhaps when they look at the stats and see a guy that can't trap the ball, needs 8 good chances per goal, plays with REAL effort when he feels like it, has very little football intelligence but is great defending corners and is a very nice man, they think it is better to sign a Chris Martin for nothing.

Based on the lack of interest and the form of Martin I would be replacing the current offer with a contract with lower base and heavy on performance incentives.

3 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Interesting how wrong Fam and his agent got it. No bids and each interested party walking away

Perhaps when they look at the stats and see a guy that can't trap the ball, needs 8 good chances per goal, plays with REAL effort when he feels like it, has very little football intelligence but is great defending corners and is a very nice man, they think it is better to sign a Chris Martin for nothing.

Based on the lack of interest and the form of Martin I would be replacing the current offer with a contract with lower base and heavy on performance incentives.

Then he turns down the deal and leaves on a free.  Bit naive 

2 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

There is also the emergence and potential of Semenyo to factor in..

Semenyo, Martin, Weimann, Wells - could be he is behind three of those soon.

If so, any negotiations re transfer or new contract swings into the clubs favour.

11 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

That's all very harsh imo. 

His touch has improved massively over the last few years, it seems people look back to the Fam of 2017/18 with a trampoline for a foot and have ignored the improvement he's made in that area. He's a 14 plus goal a season striker, so certainly not someone who needs '8 good chances per goal'. 

The next comment confuses me slightly, he plays with full effort all of the time, not when he feels like it. Criticise his technique if you want, but the one thing you can't criticise is his work rate. For a big guy it's excellent, and one of his best attributes. He also has much better intelligence than you give him credit for, he wouldn't be a decent championship striker with 'very little football intelligence' would he? 

Granted, he's not on the same level as Martin, but at least be fair in your analysis of him

I wouldn't write him off for us just yet. Obviously if we get a good offer we now have other good options in place. However, he was one of our consistent performers last season and once he gets in his groove he is more than a challenge for any championship defence and has been a massive factor in our good away form for the last couple of seasons. I think what we have now is some better options for when we come up against sides that sit back against us, particularly at home, and we need to be a bit cleverer in possession to retain possession, break teams down and create chances. This is where Martin's hold up play and composure and Semenyo's running will give us good options. 

O'Dowda all over again. Player and his agent thinking he is far better than he is and then discovering the truth. Unfortunately we are stuck with a player who basically is a nuisance and does not fit into an upgraded playing system. If he appears in the side we invariably drift into a longball dinosaur style of play.

Personally I would circulate other clubs stating that he was available at a bargain price (and O'Dowda) and wait for offers from all those clubs that have been saying what a handful he is to play against and wait for the queue to form.

15 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

You are beyond stupid if all you think he brings to the team is defending corners.

30 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Wibble.

14 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I love Fam as a person, but lets not get sucked into that.  

For me, Fam shone in a team that was struggling in huge patches, and mainly becasue of the defensive abilities.  Should we really be rating a striker based on his ability to defend?  I think you have be to be a bit brutal with Fam.  Looking at CM, I think he is everything that a target man should be with his movement off the ball. 

If you asked me 4 weeks ago, should we kept Fam, it would have been an emphatic YES! But, increasingly I would suggest that I wouldn't miss him as much as I thought.  We now have defenders that can defend now that Kalas looks like he's back in form (I think giving him the captains band was a genius stroke) and a genuine  prem CB in AM. 

If I was Fams agent, looking at the emergence of AS, I would be pressing the panic button! 

Yeah gets me about when people say he's vital for defending. It's not his job. Taller midfield like Bakinson can do that job at corners and having Mawson will help. 

Let's not all get our knickers in a twist about this. Hes approaching the peak of his career and looking for a bigger move, don't see why fans get all upset about it and start going on about how he can't trap a bag of sand. 

Hes been good for us and if he wants to go somewhere else, then fine if we can get a good price, if not then hes going to be needed this season for sure, he scores more than anyone else. 

13 minutes ago, Super said:

You are beyond stupid if all you think he brings to the team is defending corners.

Firstly I would say that to to say someone is beyond stupid shows that you lack the ability to accept that somebody can have a different opinion to yourself. This seems an increasly common affliction amongst our modern woke community. I would say that my rating of Fam is backed up by the total lack of bids from any club in the world. Perhaps they are beyond stupid too. We have brought in a free transfer centre forward who contributes far more to the team particularly in terms of hold up play and bringing others into the attack. In my opinion (and I think a forum is a place where you exchange opinions) Fam has never represented good value for the money we payed for him. Perhaps your reluctance to provide a location comes from an insecurity caused by your habit of attacking posters rather than for one minute questioning your own opinion and accepting that other people have a right to theirs.

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Let's not all get our knickers in a twist about this. Hes approaching the peak of his career and looking for a bigger move, don't see why fans get all upset about it and start going on about how he can't trap a bag of sand. 

Hes been good for us and if he wants to go somewhere else, then fine if we can get a good price, if not then hes going to be needed this season for sure, he scores more than anyone else. 

Agreed, I was just making the point that perhaps he and his agent over estimated his attraction

Firstly I would say that to to say someone is beyond stupid shows that you lack the ability to accept that somebody can have a different opinion to yourself. This seems an increasly common affliction amongst our modern woke community. I would say that my rating of Fam is backed up by the total lack of bids from any club in the world. Perhaps they are beyond stupid too. We have brought in a free transfer centre forward who contributes far more to the team particularly in terms of hold up play and bringing others into the attack. In my opinion (and I think a forum is a place where you exchange opinions) Fam has never represented good value for the money we payed for him. Perhaps your reluctance to provide a location comes from an insecurity caused by your habit of attacking posters rather than for one minute questioning your own opinion and accepting that other people have a right to theirs.

Desperate effort to prove your point.

Bottom line is that, a few weeks ago, we as fans collectively voted him player of the season. And deservedly so. @Clutton Caveman is entitled to his opinion but we know the vast majority of fans disagree and we know from interviews that the manager and players disagree too. And I have to say I have to say I struggle to see how any supporter who saw a number of games last season would come to the conclusion the OP has.

At the same time, Diedhiou is not yet at the races this season in terms of form and fitness and it is difficult to see a case for including him in the team - or perhaps even the squad - on Sunday over players who are performing. If he stays, great. If he leaves, we will manage but it needs a quick resolution for everyone’s sake.

Just now, Monkeh said:

you didn't answer my question, how do you know he isn't attracting clubs?

I would back my opinion that he isn't attracting clubs becuase

a) he is still here

b) 3 clubs that were linked with him have ruled themselves out

c) I see no speculation no matter how weak about possibile interested clubs

Now please can you provide similar arguments to support your theory that there are interested clubs

I think it is better you stop here. I put a point forward. You seem only able to type insults. Why don't you sit in a drak room for a while and try to come up with a reasoned opinion and they try to articulate it here.

Yes you pretty much rubbished him and called him lazy. If you can't see what he can offer to the team then i would give up watching.

Think Fam is a good championship striker. He is kind of average at everything which is why you get some people slating him and some people talking him up. His goal scoring record should be higher imo but he has done well to score the goals he has in pretty poor attacking sides. 

All that said, I am not sure he is the best partner for Wells. I think Wells kind of has to play at this point as he is the most natural goal scorer and need to justify his wage. Martin will probably be a better starter to play next to Wells. What does that mean for Fam? Well I think it is clear you get the best from him when he is playing every week. He seems to take awhile for full sharpness. So not sure he is the greatest asset if he will be a spot starter and super sub. Not sure committing to him for another 3 years is wise at this minute other than the security of getting a fee. 

38 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

His touch has improved massively over the last few years, it seems people look back to the Fam of 2017/18 with a trampoline for a foot and have ignored the improvement he's made in that area. He's a 14 plus goal a season striker, so certainly not someone who needs '8 good chances per goal'. 

The next comment confuses me slightly, he plays with full effort all of the time, not when he feels like it. Criticise his technique if you want, but the one thing you can't criticise is his work rate. For a big guy it's excellent, and one of his best attributes. He also has much better intelligence than you give him credit for, he wouldn't be a decent championship striker with 'very little football intelligence' would he? 

Granted, he's not on the same level as Martin, but at least be fair in your analysis of him

Martin cost nothing we believe Fam cost £5.5 million. I think this backs my assessment

Football intelligence means being able to read the game and bring others into it plus changing your game when plan A is not working.

My feeling is that if Fam had more football intelligence he would get at least 25% more goals per season

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Yes you pretty much rubbished him and called him lazy. If you can't see what he can offer to the team then i would give up watching.

Is there a statement or opinion in there somewhere?

9 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Valid point London.  

I would obviously want to keep Fam, but, I don't think him signing a new contract is as vital as it was a few weeks ago.  I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but that their is life after Fam, although I conceed that finding a 15 goal a year striker isn't easy to replace. 

Argh, glad I'm not a football manager.... 

I certainly agree. I think Semenyo and Martin - who at the moment are making the best case to be our first choice strike partnership - have made the issue less vital. Although obviously we don’t want a situation where he isn’t sold and doesn’t sign a contract, especially if money from him and/or Eliasson could get a bit more cover for our injured centre backs...

Going back to Fam, I’m perpetually torn between the fact that, at his best, I really rate him a striker find him an utter joy to watch and the nagging sense he is not the best player for our system. That said, I seem to spend most seasons starting off feeling Fam should not be in the team at all and ending it with him as the first name on the team sheet. It is a bit how it was with Fielding in goal for a while. Every time you write him off, he suddenly seems to make himself indispensable.

25 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I would back my opinion that he isn't attracting clubs becuase

a) he is still here

b) 3 clubs that were linked with him have ruled themselves out

c) I see no speculation no matter how weak about possibile interested clubs

Now please can you provide similar arguments to support your theory that there are interested clubs

I haven't said there were interested clubs i asked how you know there aren't any

And judging the avoidance of the question you don't

His agent will known the club may know and the player will know

No one else 

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

This is something I disagree with.  There is rarely “intensity” to his play. Unlike Palmer who rushes around in the press without thinking, Fam (imho) doesn’t really close down with any urgency at all.  You don’t see Fam at “full tilt” very often.  When he is, he is a different animal.

He is a reactive player, his doesn’t put effort into being proactive.

Some people mistake his defending set pieces as “putting in effort”.  I don’t, it’s a dead ball position, he can amble back.  I accept he puts effort in physically though.

I relate effort to making runs off the ball, making space for others.

Watch Martin last night (and Cov), he he makes a 5 yard sprint as if he’s running the channel.  He takes his marker with him, then he darts back to get it short into feet.  That’s effort, albeit intelligent effort / movement.  Fam allows himself to marked, he doesn’t do the hard yards I’m afraid.

Some of that I don’t believe is his fault, but a result of his he was told to play under LJ.  As someone who watched him at SCO Angers, he has lost his natural game.

59 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I love Fam as a person, but lets not get sucked into that.  

For me, Fam shone in a team that was struggling in huge patches, and mainly becasue of the defensive abilities.  Should we really be rating a striker based on his ability to defend?  I think you have be to be a bit brutal with Fam.  Looking at CM, I think he is everything that a target man should be with his movement off the ball. 

If you asked me 4 weeks ago, should we kept Fam, it would have been an emphatic YES! But, increasingly I would suggest that I wouldn't miss him as much as I thought.  We now have defenders that can defend now that Kalas looks like he's back in form (I think giving him the captains band was a genius stroke) and a genuine  prem CB in AM. 

If I was Fams agent, looking at the emergence of AS, I would be pressing the panic button! 

I don’t mind admitting that last week if you told me we could only keep one out of Eliasson or Diedhiou (our contract “rebels” - which is a bit unfair as there are several players in similar contract situations), I would’ve plumped for Fam.

But things change quickly in football.

Who knows whether the terms with Dijon suddenly become attractive again?

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Bottom line is that, a few weeks ago, we as fans collectively voted him player of the season. And deservedly so. @Clutton Caveman is entitled to his opinion but we know the vast majority of fans disagree and we know from interviews that the manager and players disagree too. And I have to say I have to say I struggle to see how any supporter who saw a number of games last season would come to the conclusion the OP has.

At the same time, Diedhiou is not yet at the races this season in terms of form and fitness and it is difficult to see a case for including him in the team - or perhaps even the squad - on Sunday over players who are performing. If he stays, great. If he leaves, we will manage but it needs a quick resolution for everyone’s sake.

I didn’t vote because I thought there was no standout choice.  To use the saying “pick of a bad bunch”, and probably awarded more on the short term memory than the whole season, as he contributed more in the second half of the season that first half (generally).  Someone like Bentley did the opposite, so was erased from people’s minds.  

Archived