IGNORED

Tinman

Steve Watts

With his playing days in mind as well, every time I listen to what Tins has to say I am astounded at how bad his managerial dalliance went.  The best OSIB show still, I could've listened to him talking about his knowledge of the game and his role at the club for hours on end.  Last night again, his insight was superb and his analysis was spot on.  Such a shame he couldn't transfer all of that to the dugout. 

Was it simply a case of too much too soon?

8 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

With his playing days in mind as well, every time I listen to what Tins has to say I am astounded at how bad his managerial dalliance went.  The best OSIB show still, I could've listened to him talking about his knowledge of the game and his role at the club for hours on end.  Last night again, his insight was superb and his analysis was spot on.  Such a shame he couldn't transfer all of that to the dugout. 

⬆️

I think it was more a case of a few gobby players intentionally bringing him down.

Water under the bridge now - glad to see Tinnion enjoying his time back here.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Sadly his love for the club meant he was hung out to dry.

Even now I am not sure he should be the Manager of City with his extra experience.

But he was never going to turn down what was probably a dream role for him

I'm personally glad that he was given the opportunity to rejoin the club.

14 minutes ago, Henry said:

He was great last night, best pundit so far. His comments were quite balance for an in house role.

I was watching via the Northampton iProfile, and they had Colin Calderwood on there.

It was interesting to hear views and knowledge from someone not associated with our club, equally spot on views about our players

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Even now I am not sure he should be the Manager of City with his extra experience.

I was watching via the Northampton iProfile, and they had Colin Calderwood on there.

It was interesting to hear views and knowledge from someone not associated with our club, equally spot on views about our players

What did Calderwood have to say? He was never a big fan of City being ex Swindon and a Manager of Forest when we pipped them to promotion..

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not everyone can move from a position of team mate to Manager of the same team mates. In retrospect he perhaps should have gone elsewhere to learn the ropes and returned when "his team" had moved on. 

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

⬆️

I think it was more a case of a few gobby players intentionally bringing him down.

Water under the bridge now - glad to see Tinnion enjoying his time back here.

Both spot on.

Tins inherited from the Wilson era a deeply embedded drinking culture of which he was not himself a part. The players involved in that had been allowed to get away with murder and did not want anyone dismantling it. (Christian Roberts autobiography is one source of detail on this history; I think there may be others.) He was basically shafted by his own team mates, who resented him and wanted to undermine him, partly, I suspect, because of his professionalism that was in stark contrast to their own behaviour. That was reflected in their performances, especially the final capitulation, which I think was at Swansea and resulted in something like a 7-1 defeat. The players who were responsible for that debacle were a disgrace and many subsequently left the club.

Even if there had not been that very unhealthy dressing room clique, it would still, in my view have been a mistake to think that someone still playing in the side can make the transition directly from player to player-manager overnight. Tins was a hardly going to turn it down, but you have to question the judgement of the man who appointed him. It was not a good decision. I still believe that if it had been handled in the right way, he might have gone on to manage the club successfully. Something like the old Liverpool Boot Room model, that groomed ex-players or coaches to take over the top job after a kind of apprenticeship might have served both Tinnion and the club well. He has many sound qualities.

As it is, we are fortunate that he still thought enough of the club to want to return after a very bruising experience. I think he's enormously respected for his shrewd knowledge of the game and he does an outstanding job with the younger guys coming through. It was an education to listen to his shrewd analysis of the match on Wednesday.

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

Both spot on.

Tins inherited from the Wilson era a deeply embedded drinking culture of which he was not himself a part. The players involved in that had been allowed to get away with murder and did not want anyone dismantling it. (Christian Roberts autobiography is one source of detail on this history; I think there may be others.) He was basically shafted by his own team mates, who resented him and wanted to undermine him, partly, I suspect, because of his professionalism that was in stark contrast to their own behaviour. That was reflected in their performances, especially the final capitulation, which I think was at Swansea and resulted in something like a 7-1 defeat. The players who were responsible for that debacle were a disgrace and many subsequently left the club.

Even if there had not been that very unhealthy dressing room clique, it would still, in my view have been a mistake to think that someone still playing in the side can make the transition directly from player to player-manager overnight. Tins was a hardly going to turn it down, but you have to question the judgement of the man who appointed him. It was not a good decision. I still believe that if it had been handled in the right way, he might have gone on to manage the club successfully. Something like the old Liverpool Boot Room model, that groomed ex-players or coaches to take over the top job after a kind of apprenticeship might have served both Tinnion and the club well. He has many sound qualities.

As it is, we are fortunate that he still thought enough of the club to want to return after a very bruising experience. I think he's enormously respected for his shrewd knowledge of the game and he does an outstanding job with the younger guys coming through. It was an education to listen to his shrewd analysis of the match on Wednesday.

Totally agree with this.  Wilson's squad was a complete shambles off the pitch - witnessed it myself a number of times - and it took a long time to get back to vague professionalism.

Tinnion was an outsider in that team because he wasn't one of the lads socially and was good friends with SL.

He seems to be a very accomplished youth coach and he knows a lot about the game but I'm not sure he's a natural enough leader to be manager though.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Likewise, was interesting listening to the other team's commentary last night.

53 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not everyone can move from a position of team mate to Manager of the same team mates. In retrospect he perhaps should have gone elsewhere to learn the ropes and returned when "his team" had moved on. 

I agree. Also in the years before it was much more common to have Player Managers, I think the club thought he could naturally manage the players having been a recent team mate. Not so easy as all that in hindsight. 

I’m glad though that he has found a role at the club which he clearly loves. It took a while for the wounds to heal and rightly so.

21 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Totally agree with this.  Wilson's squad was a complete shambles off the pitch - witnessed it myself a number of times - and it took a long time to get back to vague professionalism.

Tinnion was an outsider in that team because he wasn't one of the lads socially and was good friends with SL.

He seems to be a very accomplished youth coach and he knows a lot about the game but I'm not sure he's a natural enough leader to be manager though.

You may well be right on your final point. Despite his role in the team as senior professional and playmaker, I don’t remember him captaining the side much, if in fact he ever did. He was older by some distance than most of the culprits I referred to above, and I have often heard him described as quite a quiet man. He perhaps tended to lead by example, rather than by being very vocal. It’s interesting that he doesn’t appear ever to have sought a managerial role elsewhere, so maybe Tins himself thinks he’s not particularly cut out for it. What’s great for us is that he seems to have found his niche, doing a job he clearly loves and is both very good at and extremely dedicated to. As I said, we’re lucky to have him.

• Admin
1 hour ago, 2015 said:

What did Calderwood have to say? He was never a big fan of City being ex Swindon and a Manager of Forest when we pipped them to promotion..

He was very complimentary about the club set up, ground and squad

He did mention when Swindon played at City and we needed to beat them to get in the play offs and drew 1-1

He said their team coach was parked near to our supporters club bar, and as they were leaving they got pelted with drinks

5 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Very much a possibility. You had piss heads like Coles & Doherty who suddenly found a good mate/player was suddenly their manager. I think in paritcular the later couldn't handle that and hence he had lost parts of the dressing room before he even started his tenure. 

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Totally agree with this.  Wilson's squad was a complete shambles off the pitch - witnessed it myself a number of times

There are good and bad points about GJ's legacy at this club, but you have to say he was the one to finally get rid of the antics.  What happened during DW era was unbelievable in today's modern footballer world. Not helped by the fact he was 200 miles in Chesterfield most weekends

You got it spot on in that last sentence. Was way to soon, hed be an exquisite manager. His man management during his playing days and his knowledge of positioning and distrubution was up there with the best, and a man like Louis carey who would jump in front of a busbif it meant saving a goal against city. I believe he is very happy in this role though and dont think management will be for him after that first time round disaster.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

He was very complimentary about the club set up, ground and squad

He did mention when Swindon played at City and we needed to beat them to get in the play offs and drew 1-1

He said their team coach was parked near to our supporters club bar, and as they were leaving they got pelted with drinks

i remember that we were in supporters club the coach stopped at chippy on Ashton rd on route home left their chips or they would have had them ??

Archived