IGNORED

Brunt

Danwal

Not sure if he has been mentioned but a nice cameo from him last night. Superb ball to set Eliasson on his way for the fourth goal, two great set piece deliveries including the cross for Palmer's disallowed goal and generally played the holding role with ease. 

May not have the engine to play regularly but his class could be very important this season. 

1 hour ago, daored said:

Interesting but could anybody see him playing as the spare man in the back three for us with Kalas out. As @Danwalsaid can certainly spot a pass , adds experience to the squad and playing in that position an ideal captain in Kalas’ absence 

A friend of mine is a West Brom fan, so when Brunt signed I asked his opinion. When talking about Brunt as a potential LB (not CB) he told me:

"Definitely not a LB, he’s not defensively minded and gets caught out. When we signed him I always saw him as a winger and because of his crossing, which is excellent, that’s always where I’d play him." 

He is a real talent, in the right system and with the right protection he could become the star man this season. His legs may not give us 90 mins every game, but the quality and assurance he offers players around him is invaluable. How to make yourself a better player, surround yourself with better players. Semenyo and Palmer are case in point, when Brunt linked up with them you could see we moved up a level that Northampton had no answer to. 

how we fit him in is the question, but it if he continues like that then I think he becomes a starter. Great to watch a player with that ability at City, exciting times 

2 hours ago, daored said:

Interesting but could anybody see him playing as the spare man in the back three for us with Kalas out. As @Danwalsaid can certainly spot a pass , adds experience to the squad and playing in that position an ideal captain in Kalas’ absence 

Yes I suggested that could be an option last night but my post disappeared.

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

I'd use him most weeks, first 60 mins or last 30. Rest him for the cup games, and we could have a real gem

I only fear he's arrived with all the money he will ever need and no point to prove. Let's hope it's not a pension top up year

What a strange thing to say - if that was the case he’d just retire. There’s been no evidence from his performance or interviews that this is the case. Just reaching.

I only fear he's arrived with all the money he will ever need and no point to prove. Let's hope it's not a pension top up year

That's not really fair, there's plenty of players down the years who've come to us at the back end of their careers and sweated blood for us - think of Norman Hunter, Joe Jordan; more recently, Wilbs or Wade Elliott

Tinman had the best left foot I can recall at the club. I recall a quote from a manager (cannot recall who) that if he  had anything  at all on his right  foot,  he would have been an international. 
I am wondering how Brunt’s left peg will compare?  Old Tinman could drop a ball onto a sixpence. Look forward to comparing the two from days gone bye.

26 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Tinman had the best left foot I can recall at the club. I recall a quote from a manager (cannot recall who) that if he  had anything  at all on his right  foot,  he would have been an international. 
I am wondering how Brunt’s left peg will compare?  Old Tinman could drop a ball onto a sixpence. Look forward to comparing the two from days gone bye.

Ill raise you alan walsh DTTO....... 

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What a strange thing to say - if that was the case he’d just retire. There’s been no evidence from his performance or interviews that this is the case. Just reaching.

Why retire if you can get another year of 10k per week playing odd games

I'm.not saying thats his Modus operandi, but it could be!!

Not reaching for anything, but only someone totally blinkered would ignore the fact it's possible. Hopefully unlikely!

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

That's not really fair, there's plenty of players down the years who've come to us at the back end of their careers and sweated blood for us - think of Norman Hunter, Joe Jordan; more recently, Wilbs or Wade Elliott

As per previous response. I don't think it's his Modus operandi, but it could be. We don't know yet. His a 35 year old multi millionaire

The others you mentioned were not already made for life were they....

3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Why retire if you can get another year of 10k per week playing odd games

I'm.not saying thats his Modus operandi, but it could be!!

Not reaching for anything, but only someone totally blinkered would ignore the fact it's possible. Hopefully unlikely!

Players like him don’t get nearly 300 prem games and 60+ international caps with a attitude that your’e suggesting. 

1 minute ago, Matthew me said:

My word, I'm not saying he has that attitude!!!

I'm saying it's remotely possible and sincerely hope that's not the case!!!!

If you thought about it a bit. He’s obviously had a very professional attitude to have done what he has in the game. That attitude is ingrained in people like him. 

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

If you thought about it a bit. He’s obviously had a very professional attitude to have done what he has in the game. That attitude is ingrained in people like him. 

Like David James, Marcus Stewart, Micheal Bridges....

Sorry, but you're argument isn't sound

I'm just saying it's possible!!!! Surely you can at least entertain that thought as a remote possibility?

49 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Ill raise you alan walsh DTTO....... 

Agree, but a forward, who could thump it in from anywhere on his left peg, and even though everyone knew what he was going to do when advancing on a defender, he would still leave him on his ass. Priceless ! Great times. Tinman was different, he would spray the ball around the park from the middle, and recall that season when Scotty got 30 odd goals, many running onto tinmans  Long balls. 
From what I have read, it seems like  Brunt may be similar, bit of a cross between Walsh and Tinman.  It will be nice how this pans out. The baggies have nothing but respect for him.

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Much as I like Tinnion, I would suggest that Brunt having made 237 starts in the top tier might put his left peg ahead.  With Paul Simpson too, there are some serious left pegs around the training ground.

Like David James, Marcus Stewart, Micheal Bridges....

Sorry, but you're argument isn't sound

I'm just saying it's possible!!!! Surely you can at least entertain that thought as a remote possibility?

No I can’t . Not with him. There’s no suggestion David james wasn’t professional , he was just shite . So was bridges and Stewart was a serious piss head. Your argument isn’t sound at all. Was Wilbs or wade Wade Elliot like that ? 

You’ve just had a cynical thought about him. Like I said . Have a good look at his career and what people have said about his character first. 

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

As per previous response. I don't think it's his Modus operandi, but it could be. We don't know yet. His a 35 year old multi millionaire

The others you mentioned were not already made for life were they....

I consider that you are being cynical. Of course there are footballers who are only interested in money.

There are also plenty who are in it as a lifelong career. My guess would be that Chris Brunt has enjoyed his playing career and wants to stay in the game. Thus he has got himself a chance at City to not be a super star but to contribute as a player, as one who is willing to help our crop of young ones to improve and maybe as one who wants to stay as a coach and manager.

At 35 years, it's a reasonable guess that he already has some of his coaching badges.

So why @Matthew me do you assume that he's a money grabbing person here solely for his income?

55 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I consider that you are being cynical. Of course there are footballers who are only interested in money.

There are also plenty who are in it as a lifelong career. My guess would be that Chris Brunt has enjoyed his playing career and wants to stay in the game. Thus he has got himself a chance at City to not be a super star but to contribute as a player, as one who is willing to help our crop of young ones to improve and maybe as one who wants to stay as a coach and manager.

At 35 years, it's a reasonable guess that he already has some of his coaching badges.

So why @Matthew me do you assume that he's a money grabbing person here solely for his income?

I don't think he is!!!

I said I fear that. Not that I think that.

He.seems a good lad. I've just made the point that if someone arrives and they've already done well, played premier league and made millions, it COULD just be a final top up year.

NOT saying he is, just it's possible

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

No I can’t . Not with him. There’s no suggestion David james wasn’t professional , he was just shite . So was bridges and Stewart was a serious piss head. Your argument isn’t sound at all. Was Wilbs or wade Wade Elliot like that ? 

You’ve just had a cynical thought about him. Like I said . Have a good look at his career and what people have said about his character first. 

Wilbs and Wade did not arrive as multimillionaires that had already played at the highest level. They had a point to prove and needed to still play

This seems a pointless argument!!!

I'm not saying he is here on a jolly, I'm just saying ANY player that's 35, played at the top level with one club for so many years COULD just be looking for one last pay day.

I've no clue!!! We've seen and heard very little from him, it's therefore fair to say you can't judge his mindset since he's joined either

Let's hope he's player of the year and world his socks off. I'm a brunt fan!!!!

I just made the comparison that it's possible

I don't think he is!!!

I said I fear that. Not that I think that.

He.seems a good lad. I've just made the point that if someone arrives and they've already done well, played premier league and made millions, it COULD just be a final top up year.

NOT saying he is, just it's possible

Surely if you fear that then that IS your opinion of his attitude, I don't think your wording it very well and are just digging a deeper hole for yourself. 

Wilbs and Wade did not arrive as multimillionaires that had already played at the highest level. They had a point to prove and needed to still play

I'm not saying he is here on a jolly, I'm just saying ANY player that's 35, played at the top level with one club for so many years COULD just be looking for one last pay day.

I've no clue!!! We've seen and heard very little from him, it's therefore fair to say you can't judge his mindset since he's joined either

It is possible....but everything about his career, the references from Baggies fans - point to him being your typical “model pro”.  Couple that with his relationship with Downing in the past, gives me zero concern that he is here for a jolly.

People said the same with Ashley Williams.  Yeah, he got two stupid red cards, but apart from that, on and off the pitch he was very good.

There are players that come across as Billy Big Gonads.  I doubt you’ll find anyone with a decent recall of his career who’d ever put him in that category.

4 hours ago, Matthew me said:

I think it was the way it was worded that has ruffled a few feathers, intended or not. IMO we need that experience & professionalism around our young group at all times, we now have a good blend.

Archived