IGNORED

Home to Villa 7pm Thursday

jtc1

Bit shit that we are having to re-arrange our game just because they have one on Monday.

Seeing as they will probably make 9 or 10 changes, have a squad of about 35 & have signed at least 2 more players this week, I think it should have been kept to the Wednesday myself.

Just now, Midred said:

Is the Carabao cup TV an off shoot of Sky by any chance? We were constantly reminded last night that it was because we were playing a "Premier league " team as if this would be some kind of treat for us!

Yeah I doubt Premier League Big Boys Aston Villa have never heard of Lowly Bristol City 

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bit shit that we are having to re-arrange our game just because they have one on Monday.

Seeing as they will probably make 9 or 10 changes, have a squad of about 35 & have signed at least 2 more players this week, I think it should have been kept to the Wednesday myself.

They played the likes of grealish and Watkins against burton 

9 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

That was their first competitve game of the season so would have been used as a final tune up before their first league game on Monday, I fully expect a weakened Villa side next Thursday.

I don’t, realistically it’s their best chance of being in a European competition next season 

58 minutes ago, phantom said:

Where has this been confirmed @jtc1?

Not announced by City or Villa yet?

Interesting that Sky are yet to announce their two Thursday kick offs next week, and 7pm is not one of their slots

Is Bristol City v Villa not a big enough game for Sky not to re organise their entire schedule and move their slot to fit the game in ?

Villa have a premiership game on Monday, then City on Thursday, then another premiership game the next monday. I would think they'll use their most of the their first team for the monday games and a squad team for the Thursday.

Looking at the EFL cup - the winners don't automatically go into the EUFA cup as normal this season, there are preliminary games to qualify. I don't know how many but the EFL winners enter into qualifying round two with the minnows of Europe. With those additional games it may make the EFL cup a bit of an irrelevance and a distraction to teams in the premier league and they may use it for squad utilisation. Bit like the EFL trophy for their u21 teams.

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Villa have a premiership game on Monday, then City on Thursday, then another premiership game the next monday. I would think they'll use their most of the their first team for the monday games and a squad team for the Thursday.

Looking at the EFL cup - the winners don't automatically go into the EUFA cup as normal this season, there are preliminary games to qualify. I don't know how many but the EFL winners enter into qualifying round two with the minnows of Europe. With those additional games it may make the EFL cup a bit of an irrelevance and a distraction to teams in the premier league and they may use it for squad utilisation. Bit like the EFL trophy for their u21 teams.

Not quite. Winners don't even go into the Europa League proper - they get a spot in the final play-off round for the new "UEFA Europa Conference League", a new third tier competition sitting below the Europa League proper.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54133192

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not quite. Winners don't even go into the Europa League proper - they get a spot in the final play-off round for the new "UEFA Europa Conference League", a new third tier competition sitting below the Europa League proper.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54133192

Thanks for that - read a different article that was obviously out of date.

For an EFL club the novelty of European competition is a big incentive but is it now the same for premier league clubs, especially the bigger ones ? 

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Thanks for that - read a different article that was obviously out of date.

For an EFL club the novelty of European competition is a big incentive but is it now the same for premier league clubs, especially the bigger ones ? 

Yeh for a club like us it would be huge. I'm not sure exactly who goes into this new UEFA tournament but it'll presumably be all those weird European clubs that normally litter the group stages of the Europa League. 

Not sure how many prem clubs would relish trips to Gibraltar, Estonia, and others. Add in that the games are being played at the same time as the "real" Europa League and you really wonder were the prestige is in this new competition.

Having said all that I still think that a club like Villa would take the kudos of winning the League cup though, so I'm expecting a string team from them.

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh for a club like us it would be huge. I'm not sure exactly who goes into this new UEFA tournament but it'll presumably be all those weird European clubs that normally litter the group stages of the Europa League. 

Not sure how many prem clubs would relish trips to Gibraltar, Estonia, and others. Add in that the games are being played at the same time as the "real" Europa League and you really wonder were the prestige is in this new competition.

Having said all that I still think that a club like Villa would take the kudos of winning the League cup though, so I'm expecting a string team from them.

perhaps we need a new thread?

• Admin

Interesting to see Tottenham's fixture problems

They have Southampton on Sunday, Orient on Tuesday and then a trip to Macedonia to play Shkendija on Thursday.

If they win both the cup matches they will have the same schedule the following week too, be a bonus for whoever gets Spurs in the next round of the cup

Archived