IGNORED

Luke Wilkshire Podcast

Mr X

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I’ve not had a chance to listen yet but is it just a cheap jibe from the players? After all it must be hard for someone like Gary with a cheap(fake?) Rolex trying to manage and motivate players who wear the real thing.

Probably a bit of both.

The claim is he struggled with some of the players that were here when he arrived due to them having higher level experience and had a bully/dictator style of management. So when in the dressing room trying to motivate he allegedly pointed at his watch and told them they might be able to have one as welll if they are good enough.

Neither have a single good thing to say about him. They moved on, GJ almost got us to the Prem. Certainly some bitterness there if you ask me.

The comments ref tinman and the total chaos was not unexpected. Sounded like it was a mess.

I think both players sounded like big time Charlie's and didn't warrant a place . It was right for GJ to exit them, even if his management style was a little bit of a HR disaster

I bet our HR manager was busy during the GJ years ?

10 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Can't wait for a player managed by LJ to do an interview. I bet it's more of the same

Weirdly, I thought GJ was a likeable man. LJ, less so. 

In years to come, I think the job LJ did will be more valued by fans. He made us stable 

But his likeability for some reason just isn't what it should be

I really wanted LJ to succeed and think he did a better job than some give him credit for but I agree he was difficult to like. My feeling is that there's maybe a little bit of insecurity about him that manifests itself in business speak which makes him sound a bit insincere in interviews and an occasional tendency to dig players out in interviews.  My guess - purely based on essentially decent but insecure people I've met who come across in a similar way to how LJ seems to - is that, when the dust settles and we find out what the players really thought about him, the truth won't be particularly explosive or dramatic. It will be that players quite liked him on the whole but found him a bit indecisive and frustratingly inconsistent in how he communicated what he wanted. 

There can't be many occupations where the "workers" can get paid far more than the "boss". In most cases the interdependancy is respected on both sides but there must be instances where players who's ego is greater than their ability bring a feeling of superiority and entitlement with them.

9 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Well given everything Ive heard about GJ this just confirms what people have known

I really cannot get behind this *hagiography* people had especially when things finally started coming to a head at Plymouth away and the rest.

Seems we were toxic as all hell in that period and it showed. followed by a management style that burnt out completely, and caused all kinds of issues

I’m willing to bet that’s the first time that words been used on here.

Michael Bridges sounds a lot like someone who is completely unaware of Michael Bridges career history.

The idea he was the best player being forced out of City by GJ, when in fact he barely strung a game together fit and ended up at Carlisle and various other short lived spells in England on a complete career nosedive.

Shameless also for Bridges to ridicule Tinnion's lack of a strategy or plan when there's a bloke called Michael Bridges who would've met Tinnion and had a chance to ask about either before accepting a lucrative contract.

I also liked his recollections of the best managers he worked under - Sam Allardyce, Bobby Robson, christ he was with those managers for all of about 5 minutes. He must think an Australian audience will know no better.

7 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Well given everything Ive heard about GJ this just confirms what people have known

I really cannot get behind this *hagiography* people had especially when things finally started coming to a head at Plymouth away and the rest.

Seems we were toxic as all hell in that period and it showed. followed by a management style that burnt out completely, and caused all kinds of issues

There was stories coming out at the time re GJ and his bullying. One in particular about a young loan signing we had from Charlton, when some of the senior players had to step in and stop GJ from what he was doing. 

Re, the chaos when GJ first came to the club, I was told by someone who at the time worked at City, that he was like “a bull in a china shop” during the first few weeks, and some players and staff were genuinely shocked by his behaviour. 

I’m 100% sure that we will hear similar things re LJ in the years to come. 

I am so glad the Johnson’s are finally out of my club. 

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Re, the chaos when GJ first came to the club, I was told by someone who at the time worked at City, that he was like “a bull in a china shop” during the first few weeks, and some players and staff were genuinely shocked by his behaviour. 

Considering what was going on at the club at the time, I was under the impression that was pretty much required to clean it out?

I thought the prevailing opinion was that he did a good job shutting down the unhealthy culture we had (drinking, partying, run ins with the law etc), and clearing out the players who contributed to it if they wouldn't shape up pretty quickly.

No idea how true that is of course!

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Michael Bridges sounds a lot like someone who is completely unaware of Michael Bridges career history.

The idea he was the best player being forced out of City by GJ, when in fact he barely strung a game together fit and ended up at Carlisle and various other short lived spells in England on a complete career nosedive.

Shameless also for Bridges to ridicule Tinnion's lack of a strategy or plan when there's a bloke called Michael Bridges who would've met Tinnion and had a chance to ask about either before accepting a lucrative contract.

I also liked his recollections of the best managers he worked under - Sam Allardyce, Bobby Robson, christ he was with those managers for all of about 5 minutes. He must think an Australian audience will know no better.

Bridges did a podcast called “undr the cosh” a few months ago. This is an English podcast, which will have been listened to by tens of thousands in this country. He was a highly respected footballer, who had a bloody good career. When he came to City he was still high profile, and viewed by City fans as a big signing, along with Marcus Stewart. 

I’m struggling to see why you disregard what he says, and why you wrongly think he has only said these things to an Australian audience. He lives and works in Australia, and Australian football fans know a lot more about the English game than you give them credit for. 

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Considering what was going on at the club at the time, I was under the impression that was pretty much required to clean it out?

I thought the prevailing opinion was that he did a good job shutting down the unhealthy culture we had (drinking, partying, run ins with the law etc), and clearing out the players who contributed to it if they wouldn't shape up pretty quickly.

No idea how true that is of course!

I think there are ways of doing this, which don’t include bullying. 

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No way. LJ did stabilise us, but ultimately GJ got us promotion and a playoff final. The buzz at games during the good times in his tenure was the best I’ve seen it too (watching since 05).

GJ enjoyed more measurable success than LJ. LJ does deserve credit too, but managers don’t get remembered for ‘stabilising’ clubs.

I have no issue with GJ falling out with LW and MB either. I imagine there’s a couple of similar stories about each of our managers falling out with players. Nature of the job.

As a side note it's a shame that he couldn't harness the undoubted talents of Evander Sno and Lee Trundle enough.

Both thought they should have just walked into the team. Both were underperformers. Bridges career was already in terminal decline and Wilkshire was lightweight and I recall always preoccupied with making the Socceroos squad to the detriment of his club game.

Best thing Gary could’ve done was throw a grenade in the dressing room and change the personnel and culture - he did both then got promotion in his first full season.

12 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

There was stories coming out at the time re GJ and his bullying. One in particular about a young loan signing we had from Charlton, when some of the senior players had to step in and stop GJ from what he was doing. 

I’m 100% sure that we will hear similar things re LJ in the years to come. 

I am so glad the Johnson’s are finally out of my club. 

Yeah they have been terrible for us haven’t they!!

GJ is my favourite ever manager of this club, those few seasons under him were brilliant, there hasn’t been a better atmosphere in the stands since he left. 

Luke Wilkshire is perfectly entitled to his opinion on Gary Johnson as a person.

The facts are though that Gary Johnson is not a bad manager.

He may well have had his ‘worst experience’ under Johnson, and maybe out if all of his managers he feels Gary Johnson was ‘the worst’. But that must be a hell of a list given the success Gary Johnson has had.

54 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

That goal though, right? ?

To this day, I still occasionally find myself shouting “SHOOT!” whenever I spot someone about 60 yards away from a football goal.

Terrified a few dog walkers in my time.

Is it on YouTube anywhere?

Archived