IGNORED

Rest in Peace Gordon Bennett

Never to the dark side

I know many of you would know the name,sad to hear of the passing of Gordon Bennett.

Gordon was involved with  Bristol Rovers Stoke and Plymouth Argyle and organising and attending  football programme fairs.

I shall miss you Gordon, as you were always the one that was their to greet me when I attended many of your football programme fairs.

Sad to hear this news 

Gordon used to pick me and a few other lads up and take us to matches to play when I was a 11/12 yr old - I won’t say who I played for but they were from the other side of the river

lovely bloke who really cared about youth football and got to know your family and was always there to help

RIP and thank you Gordon

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I can vaguely remember he won a prize for being the best football supporter in England and promptly gave the money to Rovers 

I never met Gordon but to donate his prize money to his football club reflects perfectly why he won it in the first place. 

Reading thru this thread shows how, regardless of your own club that we are all football fans at heart.

RIP Gordon.

Went to Sodbury Grammar with him ( he was 6th form, I was 1st) Teachers used to despair of him, he was very clever, but thought more about the Rovers (selling tickets etc.)

Before the Tote end was thought of, he used to stand in the South Enclosure with either a large drum or trumpet and make a racket !    RIP "squire"  (as he used to call everyone at school )

Had dealings with Gordon in the mid 1980s when he was Rovers secretary. What a smashing bloke and I have to say, due to his like and Keith Brookman, I don't harbour the anti-gas sentimentality other City supporters do. That isn't to denigrate those fans it's more a reflection on Mr Bennett and Mr Brookman. Two passionate fans of their club but also very nice and decent people. If you made their acquaintance, you couldn't then hate.

RIP Gordon.

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Went to Sodbury Grammar with him ( he was 6th form, I was 1st) Teachers used to despair of him, he was very clever, but thought more about the Rovers (selling tickets etc.)

Before the Tote end was thought of, he used to stand in the South Enclosure with either a large drum or trumpet and make a racket !    RIP "squire"  (as he used to call everyone at school )

Likewise, but he was 4th year to my 1st. I remember that he was the school bell ringer for the end of periods, lunch and home time.

Something I managed to get to do 3 years later.

Always thought that he was a bit odd, well I would, given that he was a Rovers fanatic!

RIP GB

4 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Likewise, but he was 4th year to my 1st. I remember that he was the school bell ringer for the end of periods, lunch and home time.

Something I managed to get to do 3 years later.

Always thought that he was a bit odd, well I would, given that he was a Rovers fanatic!

RIP GB

TBF, I think he was the ONLY one in school (at the time), We were on our way to Div 2 so there were a lot of "glory " seekers !

Archived