IGNORED

Captain for Sunday?

OneTeamInBristol

On 18/09/2020 at 11:07, Dolman_Stand said:

Wouldn't be suprised if Mawson got it given he took it from Kalas after he went off.

Agree, experience and leadership qualities and also CB is probably best place for a captain to be playing and can see the full picture in front of him 

On 18/09/2020 at 15:13, Robbored said:

I was thinking that Moore already has leadership skills. 

This prolonged scratching of your chin won't be doing you any good.

Have you had time to come up with the particular leadership skills you've noticed in TM?

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

This prolonged scratching of your chin won't be doing you any good.

Have you had time to come up with the particular leadership skills you've noticed in TM?

Based on his previous captaincy role with England U19s

He wouldn’t have appointed if had no leadership skills.

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

I don't think it really matters all that much. You want leaders all over the pitch, to succeed. 

It's very important.

Somebody needs to take on-pitch responsibility for the team's performance, especially when the team as a whole is having an off day and needs to be geed up.

If they don't play well the manager will explain things afterwards from his point of view, but the Captain - the manager's voice on the pitch - needs to also step forward and explain.

As Kalas did so well recently.

Of course ideally you need leaders all over the pitch (something we've often lacked in the past) but this seems to be a personality trait lacking in many modern players. Even if you have some you also need a respected prime leader who orchestrates the others to ensure the manager's game plan is being put into action. .

The manager and the Captain should have a special relationship, with the Captain slightly aloof from the other players.

Can you think of a successful City team that didn't have a notable and respected Captain?

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Playing devil’s advocate, he might’ve been the oldest, might’ve been the most capped, might’ve been the best player.  Italy used to give the captaincy the most-capped player, so not always based on leadership skills at all.

Captaining at age group is different to captaining at senior level too.

I would say someone who self-confesses that he doesn’t feel like a senior pro yet, is not ready to be captain.  Until I heard him interviewed and seen his performance v Cov, I thought he’d be a good candidate to be vice-captain.  I’ve changed my mind.

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That was 4/5 years ago, crucially in a squad all the same age, full of immature players and perhaps lacking individuals of character.

You're suggesting he has shown the leadership skills to step in for Kalas over such experienced players as - if they're selected - Weimann, Hunt, Paterson, Mawson, Rowe, Martin, Brunt & Bentley.

No doubting his enthusiasm but I have not seen these outstanding leadership skills you have apparently noted.

For me Mawson is the obvious choice.

Taylor Moore may well prove to be Captain material in a year or 2 after properly establishing himself in the team and gaining the respect of his fellow pros through consistently inspiring performances but he should be nowhere near it at the moment imo.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Playing devil’s advocate, he might’ve been the oldest, might’ve been the most capped, might’ve been the best player.  Italy used to give the captaincy the most-capped player, so not always based on leadership skills at all.

Captaining at age group is different to captaining at senior level too.

I would say someone who self-confesses that he doesn’t feel like a senior pro yet, is not ready to be captain.  Until I heard him interviewed and seen his performance v Cov, I thought he’d be a good candidate to be vice-captain.  I’ve changed my mind.

Of course captaincy is different at higher levels Dave......

TM admitting that shows how self aware he is and to me that an important quality in any leader. I can understand why he doesn’t feel a senior pro yet tho. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's very important.

Somebody needs to take on-pitch responsibility for the team's performance, especially when the team as a whole is having an off day and needs to be geed up.

If they don't play well the manager will explain things afterwards from his point of view, but the Captain - the manager's voice on the pitch - needs to also step forward and explain.

As Kalas did so well recently.

Of course ideally you need leaders all over the pitch (something we've often lacked in the past) but this seems to be a personality trait lacking in many modern players. Even if you have some you also need a respected prime leader who orchestrates the others to ensure the manager's game plan is being put into action. .

The manager and the Captain should have a special relationship, with the Captain slightly aloof from the other players.

Can you think of a successful City team that didn't have a notable and respected Captain?

Yes I agree with all that, of course. 

I just mean that you want everyone leading by example, rather than lumping all the responsibility of that onto one "captain" 

I think we have that now, more than at any time in recent years, having signed some genuine quality experience, to add to what we already have. 

I've been very critical of KP, but his work rate, as well as his flair on Wednesday were hugely impressive. 

After a diabolical corner, he didn't hide or sulk, but got stuck in, tackled back and earned himself the right for the showboating later on. 

Long may that continue..!

Archived