IGNORED

Tomorrow

GrahamC

I am sure there will be lengthy threads on this much nearer the time, but Stoke will be really tough opponents tomorrow.

They haven’t conceded a goal yet this season, (which is probably not a huge surprise seeing how Michael O’Neill sets his sides up) are the 4th best team in the league at home since he took over there & have a large number of experienced players to pick from.

Not getting carried away by us beating Northampton & as we are going to be without 3 of our best 4 defenders, I’d take a point right now.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I am sure there will be lengthy threads on this much nearer the time, but Stoke will be really tough opponents tomorrow.

They haven’t conceded a goal yet this season, (which is probably not a huge surprise seeing how Michael O’Neill sets his sides up) are the 4th best team in the league at home since he took over there & have a large number of experienced players to pick from.

Not getting carried away by us beating Northampton & as we are going to be without 3 of our best 4 defenders, I’d take a point right now.

I’d be more confident if we didn’t have injuries & went with a full strength squad. If he plays Pato & Weimann as part of a 3 we will get over run, so has to be Bakinson, Nagy & Pato for me to give us more solidity. Like you, I would take a point but worried about their set play prowess and our ability to physically compete

25 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I’d be more confident if we didn’t have injuries & went with a full strength squad. If he plays Pato & Weimann as part of a 3 we will get over run, so has to be Bakinson, Nagy & Pato for me to give us more solidity. Like you, I would take a point but worried about their set play prowess and our ability to physically compete

The potters struggled a bit last season but I think they have reset themselves and will be a very strong contender for promotion this season. It probably doesn’t mean much today either a home advantage or not but I see this as a challenge to DH and the team. Today’s result will actually be a good indication of where we are really at with the transition of LJ gone and DH now the gov. I’d be happy with a well played draw with a few goals to each side. Obviously happy with a win for us but my head says a draw.

49 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My “What can we expect” thread will be along later.  Just waiting for it to go on Bristol City Live.  It is longer this time, with more pictures.  Knowledge of Stoke is better than Northampton!!

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My “What can we expect” thread will be along later.  Just waiting for it to go on Bristol City Live.  It is longer this time, with more pictures.  Knowledge of Stoke is better than Northampton!!

I'm prepared 

1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

Why so fearful? We should be going into this match confident of 3 points, we have a team now that moves the ball well, and looks full of goals. They must be thinking the same, for that reason I feel confident we will win.

Sorry.

I feel we underestimate how much teams will be aware of the strength of the squad we have 

early days but it feels like the 14/15 season but we bought a couple of older pros into the squad and progressed all season 

like I said early days yet ......

11 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I feel we underestimate how much teams will be aware of the strength of the squad we have 

early days but it feels like the 14/15 season but we bought a couple of older pros into the squad and progressed all season 

I think this is a very good point and one I would agree with. Cotterill was a known quantity, Holden much less so but so far so very good.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I'm prepared 

How do you condense a photo? 

52 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I feel the present squad, even with the injuries is strong enough to challenge right to the top...But we have to overcome this defeatist mentality, starting with Stoke, of course we have enough to win there, and I hope an attacking line up is selected, play the team fielded Thursday, trust KP and see where we land. That performance was classy, full of confidence, Stokes game is all about not conceding, and relying on a set piece goal, give them something to think about.

9 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

I feel the present squad, even with the injuries is strong enough to challenge right to the top...But we have to overcome this defeatist mentality, starting with Stoke, of course we have enough to win there, and I hope an attacking line up is selected, play the team fielded Thursday, trust KP and see where we land. That performance was classy, full of confidence, Stokes game is all about not conceding, and relying on a set piece goal, give them something to think about.

Is it defeatist to not expect to win every game? Note I said expect, not want.

I'd say it's being realistic. Stoke is a very tough game, we have some of our first choice players out, and they'll likely be replaced with some younger players without much championship experience.

A point for me would be a good result against a team I expect to be strong this year. I think calling that defeatist is just a lazy response, personally.

The analysis piece in the Post has got it right. Stoke have a strong spine and are well set up defensively with 3 big centre backs and Jon Obi Mikel screening in front. It is difficult therefore to attack them through the middle. Their CBs are however reluctant to come out of the centre so we need to move the ball quickly down the flanks getting in behind their wing backs. We also need to switch play frequently from side to side to pull Mikel out of position. Stoke are a real threat if we allow the likes of Powell and Clucas to get on the ball, but we are confident and the game is winnable, but I too would take a draw. 

9 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I'd say it's being realistic. Stoke is a very tough game, we have some of our first choice players out, and they'll likely be replaced with some younger players without much championship experience.

A point for me would be a good result against a team I expect to be strong this year. I think calling that defeatist is just a lazy response, personally.

I'll say I'm happy with a good performance because consistanly good team performances will give you the best long term outcome. However, 'it's a results based industry', so I'll say a point is a good outcome, whilst internally thinking 'you don't mean that do you. Lets get 3 points.'

If you don't think there is any chance of finding a way to win a game, then maybe that's defeatist. Hoping for the best but fearing/expecting the worst isn't.

32 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Actually I wasn't responding to you, although I can see why you might think so if you do, no, just the general way 'we' are as a club, for me confidence is everything in this game, Liverpool Leeds have it in spades, as do many other clubs, but we always seem to let the opposition have the upper hand with the mind games. I believe DH has to instill a winning mentality, and he is going some way into doing that 3 wins at home is a good start, fingers crossed we can kick on.     

38 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The analysis piece in the Post has got it right. Stoke have a strong spine and are well set up defensively with 3 big centre backs and Jon Obi Mikel screening in front. It is difficult therefore to attack them through the middle. Their CBs are however reluctant to come out of the centre so we need to move the ball quickly down the flanks getting in behind their wing backs. We also need to switch play frequently from side to side to pull Mikel out of position. Stoke are a real threat if we allow the likes of Powell and Clucas to get on the ball, but we are confident and the game is winnable, but I too would take a draw. 

Cough, cough, ahem!!! ?

1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

I certainly wouldn't play anything like the team from Thursday. 

It was a fantastic performance and ecactky what we want to see and will help generate genuine competition for places, but you don't leave out your first choice players because a second team dispatched a lower league team, no matter how stylishly. 

They also played on Wednesday  and won't all be upto another 90 minutes straight afterwards. 

I would fully expect to see 6 changes at least from Thursday, but with the added bonus of fitter, hungry and Co fident players ready and waiting on the bench, should their chance come again. 

I would then expect to see a high number of changes again for Thursdays tie Vs Villa. 

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Big test of Holden's credentials tomorrow, based on performances neither Fammy nor Wiemann should be in starting 11. Be interesting to see if Holden will reward those showing form or do an LJ and pick under performing players again and again and again.

Yep I hope we don't play a striker in CM or another striker ( who was great last season but has  yet to sign a new contract. Hopefully Martin is seen as fit enough to start really liked his link up play in the week, I think this will help Wells .

I don't mind Wiemann playing but as a striker if martin isn't ready.

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Big test of Holden's credentials tomorrow, based on performances neither Fammy nor Wiemann should be in starting 11. Be interesting to see if Holden will reward those showing form or do an LJ and pick under performing players again and again and again.

If he does bench them will you finally stop moaning about it on every sodding post?

Good measuring stick tomorrow for a number of reasons, can't see a justifiable reason for Weimann to start in midfield so hopefully DH goes for either Nagy or Brunt else whats the point in having stockpiled midfielders.

Whilst we will no doubt be tested defensively Stoke are hardly freescoring so far this season so may not be the worst game possible for Moore and Vyner although they will have to be on their game particularly early on.

Personally if offered a point right now I would take it but also see no reason why we can't win up there with the right team selection.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

If he does bench them will you finally stop moaning about it on every sodding post?

What erks me is playing players that won't sign new contracts eg FD & NE. I understand the politics of it all but its a personal thing with me, if a player won't commit then don't play them, especially if we have others committed to the cause. Obviously its a costly exercise but I can't help myself. 

Sorry guys, I just had to get it off my chest & now I'm off for my coat & tin hat.

COYR's

1 minute ago, bpexile said:

What erks me is playing players that won't sign new contracts eg FD & NE. I understand the politics of it all but its a personal thing with me, if a player won't commit then don't play them, especially if we have others committed to the cause. Obviously its a costly exercise but I can't help myself. 

Sorry guys, I just had to get it off my chest & now I'm off for my coat & tin hat.

COYR's

I don’t disagree.

Its not like we’ve offered them something a couple of days ago, and they want to have a couple of days to think it over with their other half and / or agent.  From what we are led to believe, these are long running.

Archived