IGNORED

Tomorrow

GrahamC

13 hours ago, Blackbird1 said:

Why so fearful? We should be going into this match confident of 3 points, we have a team now that moves the ball well, and looks full of goals. They must be thinking the same, for that reason I feel confident we will win.

Sorry.

All this happy with a draw nonsense on here, hope the players are not thinking that, why shouldn't we feel confident? like you am more than expecting us not to just be happy with that, and yes I will nail my colours to the mast 3-2 to us, there I've said it.

9 hours ago, bpexile said:

What erks me is playing players that won't sign new contracts eg FD & NE. I understand the politics of it all but its a personal thing with me, if a player won't commit then don't play them, especially if we have others committed to the cause. Obviously its a costly exercise but I can't help myself. 

Sorry guys, I just had to get it off my chest & now I'm off for my coat & tin hat.

COYR's

I agree and said on a different thread the risk of one of them getting injured and being unsellable in this window is quite big for DH, he would have some serious explaining to do if this happened

10 hours ago, bpexile said:

What erks me is playing players that won't sign new contracts eg FD & NE. I understand the politics of it all but its a personal thing with me, if a player won't commit then don't play them, especially if we have others committed to the cause. Obviously its a costly exercise but I can't help myself. 

Sorry guys, I just had to get it off my chest & now I'm off for my coat & tin hat.

COYR's

It is part of the modern game , I agree with you in principle but they were signed to play for the club for ‘ x ‘ number of seasons and are paid handsomely to do so .

I can understand if there are question marks over their application but equally if they want a good move then they have to impress a potential suitor and keep up match fitness. 

What pains me is the financial loss we may make if a valuable player leaves for nothing but, in fairness to Mark Ashton, the club generally have managed to avoid this scenario. 

I was surprised that we let Matty Taylor leave for nothing when we could have got at least 300,000£ for him but there were surely mitigating circumstances.

The player is taking a risk as well , a long term injury and that’s his earning power out the window.

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The player is taking a risk as well , a long term injury and that’s his earning power out the window.

Great point Major,,,something we tend to forget.

Maybe we should include reference to the number of 'nasty injuries suffered at Failand in any future prolonged negotiation??

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It is part of the modern game , I agree with you in principle but they were signed to play for the club for ‘ x ‘ number of seasons and are paid handsomely to do so .

I can understand if there are question marks over their application but equally if they want a good move then they have to impress a potential suitor and keep up match fitness. 

What pains me is the financial loss we may make if a valuable player leaves for nothing but, in fairness to Mark Ashton, the club generally have managed to avoid this scenario. 

I was surprised that we let Matty Taylor leave for nothing when we could have got at least 300,000£ for him but there were surely mitigating circumstances.

Thanks Major, yes I understand what you have said but it's just a situation I can't warm to, the sooner it's sorted the better for both parties :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, pillred said:

All this happy with a draw nonsense on here, hope the players are not thinking that, why shouldn't we feel confident? like you am more than expecting us not to just be happy with that, and yes I will nail my colours to the mast 3-2 to us, there I've said it.

A draw in any championship away game isn't to be sniffed at. Especially following a home win. And against a team who are tipped as many peoples dark horses for success this season. 

However, it would be SO good to see us go and Co tinue our momentum and send out a real statement of intent by turning them over today. 

Many say it's our first real test today. IF we pass it, this could be a very interesting season ahead ?

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I certainly wouldn't play anything like the team from Thursday. 

It was a fantastic performance and ecactky what we want to see and will help generate genuine competition for places, but you don't leave out your first choice players because a second team dispatched a lower league team, no matter how stylishly. 

They also played on Wednesday  and won't all be upto another 90 minutes straight afterwards. 

I would fully expect to see 6 changes at least from Thursday, but with the added bonus of fitter, hungry and Co fident players ready and waiting on the bench, should their chance come again. 

I would then expect to see a high number of changes again for Thursdays tie Vs Villa. 

In many circumstances, I would agree with you. But it's worth bearing in mind the team that started last Saturday - which was also the team that dispatched a lower league team far less stylishly in the previous round - was influenced by international call-ups, injuries and players coming back to fitness rather than conclusively being the "first choice team".

Taking it player by player:

Bentley v O'Leary: Yep, Bentley is first choice. He'll start and O'Leary will start v Villa

Hunt v Sessegnon: Too early to say who is first choice. Hunt might start simply because Sessegnon might not be up to two games a week.

Vyner played in both

Kalas got injured so Moore is sure to come back in

Mawson will clearly start if fit enough, if not it will be Rowe

Rowe v Eliasson: I'd agree Rowe is the default LWB cover but you could argue Eliasson is more likely to become the automatic choice if Dasilva out for any length of time, and offers more of a threat against an ultra-defensive team)

Massengo v Bakinson v Brunt: Massengo started last week but struggled and Bakinson offered more. Reckon Bakinson keeps his place. 

Weimann v Nagy: It remains to be seen if Weimann is the default central midfield choice or whether he was covering due to absence. A toss-up which starts.

Paterson v Palmer: Yep, Paterson is ahead of Palmer in the pecking order. Reckon he will start despite Palmer's performance.

Martin v Diedhiou: Diedhiou has not offered much this season. Martin has.

Wells v Semenyo: Again, there is an argument that Semenyo is offering more but reckon it will be Wells.

I reckon you may be right about 5 or 6 changes - my guess would be Bentley, Hunt, Moore, Paterson, Wells and maybe Weimann will come in- but I think that is still about match fitness as much as quality and don't think it is anywhere near as clearcut as first choice team vs second choice team. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

In many circumstances, I would agree with you. But it's worth bearing in mind the team that started last Saturday - which was also the team that dispatched a lower league team far less stylishly in the previous round - was influenced by international call-ups, injuries and players coming back to fitness rather than conclusively being the "first choice team".

Taking it player by player:

Bentley v O'Leary: Yep, Bentley is first choice. He'll start and O'Leary will start v Villa

Hunt v Sessegnon: Too early to say who is first choice. Hunt might start simply because Sessegnon might not be up to two games a week.

Vyner played in both

Kalas got injured so Moore is sure to come back in

Mawson will clearly start if fit enough, if not it will be Rowe

Rowe v Eliasson: I'd agree Rowe is the default LWB cover but you could argue Eliasson is more likely to become the automatic choice if Dasilva out for any length of time, and offers more of a threat against an ultra-defensive team)

Massengo v Bakinson v Brunt: Massengo started last week but struggled and Bakinson offered more. Reckon Bakinson keeps his place. 

Weimann v Nagy: It remains to be seen if Weimann is the default central midfield choice or whether he was covering due to absence. A toss-up which starts.

Paterson v Palmer: Yep, Paterson is ahead of Palmer in the pecking order. Reckon he will start despite Paterson's performances.

Martin v Diedhiou: Diedhiou has not offered much this season. Martin has.

Wells v Semenyo: Again, there is an argument that Semenyo is offering more but reckon it will be Wells.

I reckon you may be right about 5 or 6 changes - my guess would be Bentley, Hunt, Moore, Paterson, Wells and maybe Weimann will come in- but I think that is still about match fitness as much as quality and don't think it is anywhere near as clearcut as first choice team vs second choice team. 

Yes, I'd agree with all of that. 

It's very encouraging to have that genuine competition for places AND still have Kalas, Baker, Dasilva, Williams, Walsh & Morrell all to come back into contention. 

11 hours ago, bpexile said:

COYR's

What irks me a bit is Liam Walsh continuing to get a free pass on the contract situation from people who are ready to cash in on FD and NE for the same reason.  I realise Walsh's reasons for not signing so far may well be very different to the two players above - although you could argue NE is essentially in the same circumstance as Walsh of being asked to sign a contract with no real certanty of first team football, which he might be able to get elsewhere - but his contract situation seems largely overlooked. 

Performance is the most important for me. Watching the early games we were getting results without playing great. We have started to show, albeit through different personnel, quality at the end of the Coventry match and also in the week that we can play well.

So for me, bravery and composure at the back, skill and dynamism going forward will give us the beat hope of winning. I really don't like us losing but if we can see positive football being played it will be encouraging nevertheless.

Under O'Neill, Stoke will be organised and hard to break down.  Luckily they have nowt going forward   My heart says a City win but my head says a draw.

It would be great to score a few and go top though, especially with the Sags just one point above the relegation zone.

Not sure weather DH will revert to to Coventry tactics or incorporate a bit of Northampton tactics.

Archived