Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Tomorrow


Recommended Posts

I am sure there will be lengthy threads on this much nearer the time, but Stoke will be really tough opponents tomorrow.

They haven’t conceded a goal yet this season, (which is probably not a huge surprise seeing how Michael O’Neill sets his sides up) are the 4th best team in the league at home since he took over there & have a large number of experienced players to pick from.

Not getting carried away by us beating Northampton & as we are going to be without 3 of our best 4 defenders, I’d take a point right now.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I am sure there will be lengthy threads on this much nearer the time, but Stoke will be really tough opponents tomorrow.

They haven’t conceded a goal yet this season, (which is probably not a huge surprise seeing how Michael O’Neill sets his sides up) are the 4th best team in the league at home since he took over there & have a large number of experienced players to pick from.

Not getting carried away by us beating Northampton & as we are going to be without 3 of our best 4 defenders, I’d take a point right now.

I’d be more confident if we didn’t have injuries & went with a full strength squad. If he plays Pato & Weimann as part of a 3 we will get over run, so has to be Bakinson, Nagy & Pato for me to give us more solidity. Like you, I would take a point but worried about their set play prowess and our ability to physically compete

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I’d be more confident if we didn’t have injuries & went with a full strength squad. If he plays Pato & Weimann as part of a 3 we will get over run, so has to be Bakinson, Nagy & Pato for me to give us more solidity. Like you, I would take a point but worried about their set play prowess and our ability to physically compete

The potters struggled a bit last season but I think they have reset themselves and will be a very strong contender for promotion this season. It probably doesn’t mean much today either a home advantage or not but I see this as a challenge to DH and the team. Today’s result will actually be a good indication of where we are really at with the transition of LJ gone and DH now the gov. I’d be happy with a well played draw with a few goals to each side. Obviously happy with a win for us but my head says a draw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I am sure there will be lengthy threads on this much nearer the time, but Stoke will be really tough opponents tomorrow.

They haven’t conceded a goal yet this season, (which is probably not a huge surprise seeing how Michael O’Neill sets his sides up) are the 4th best team in the league at home since he took over there & have a large number of experienced players to pick from.

Not getting carried away by us beating Northampton & as we are going to be without 3 of our best 4 defenders, I’d take a point right now.

My “What can we expect” thread will be along later.  Just waiting for it to go on Bristol City Live.  It is longer this time, with more pictures.  Knowledge of Stoke is better than Northampton!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My “What can we expect” thread will be along later.  Just waiting for it to go on Bristol City Live.  It is longer this time, with more pictures.  Knowledge of Stoke is better than Northampton!!

I'm prepared 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They might have a physical advantage, but it might that we have a speed and energy advantage.

I think the majority of their players are 6 foot or taller.

We had a similar kind of problem away at Boro to deal with last season under Holden, and we dealt with their threat and they could not cope with our energy levels. Weimann and Paterson superb in the box to box roles. I see us going with that again tomorrow, though I am not necessarily a fan of Weimann in the box to box role, we have seen it can work very well.

Other available options would be Nagy, Palmer or Massengo.

2 played on Wednesday and put in a huge shift for 90 minutes. So it could be that Massengo plays box to box if Weimann is to play up top.

I expect Bakinson to be holding, unless Brunt is ready.

Kalas a big loss, and really hope he is back soon. Moore has to perform in the centre of the 3. But I was very impressed with his defending high balls against Northampton. On the ball his passing was superb, passing it early and most often finding his man.

If we win then that will be a huge result. 

Edited by JonDolman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

Why so fearful? We should be going into this match confident of 3 points, we have a team now that moves the ball well, and looks full of goals. They must be thinking the same, for that reason I feel confident we will win.

Sorry.

I feel we underestimate how much teams will be aware of the strength of the squad we have 

early days but it feels like the 14/15 season but we bought a couple of older pros into the squad and progressed all season 

like I said early days yet ......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I feel we underestimate how much teams will be aware of the strength of the squad we have 

early days but it feels like the 14/15 season but we bought a couple of older pros into the squad and progressed all season 

like I said early days yet ......

I think this is a very good point and one I would agree with. Cotterill was a known quantity, Holden much less so but so far so very good.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I'm prepared 

How do you condense a photo? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I feel we underestimate how much teams will be aware of the strength of the squad we have 

early days but it feels like the 14/15 season but we bought a couple of older pros into the squad and progressed all season 

like I said early days yet ......

I feel the present squad, even with the injuries is strong enough to challenge right to the top...But we have to overcome this defeatist mentality, starting with Stoke, of course we have enough to win there, and I hope an attacking line up is selected, play the team fielded Thursday, trust KP and see where we land. That performance was classy, full of confidence, Stokes game is all about not conceding, and relying on a set piece goal, give them something to think about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

I feel the present squad, even with the injuries is strong enough to challenge right to the top...But we have to overcome this defeatist mentality, starting with Stoke, of course we have enough to win there, and I hope an attacking line up is selected, play the team fielded Thursday, trust KP and see where we land. That performance was classy, full of confidence, Stokes game is all about not conceding, and relying on a set piece goal, give them something to think about.

Is it defeatist to not expect to win every game? Note I said expect, not want.

I'd say it's being realistic. Stoke is a very tough game, we have some of our first choice players out, and they'll likely be replaced with some younger players without much championship experience.

A point for me would be a good result against a team I expect to be strong this year. I think calling that defeatist is just a lazy response, personally.

  • Like 1
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The analysis piece in the Post has got it right. Stoke have a strong spine and are well set up defensively with 3 big centre backs and Jon Obi Mikel screening in front. It is difficult therefore to attack them through the middle. Their CBs are however reluctant to come out of the centre so we need to move the ball quickly down the flanks getting in behind their wing backs. We also need to switch play frequently from side to side to pull Mikel out of position. Stoke are a real threat if we allow the likes of Powell and Clucas to get on the ball, but we are confident and the game is winnable, but I too would take a draw. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Is it defeatist to not expect to win every game? Note I said expect, not want.

I'd say it's being realistic. Stoke is a very tough game, we have some of our first choice players out, and they'll likely be replaced with some younger players without much championship experience.

A point for me would be a good result against a team I expect to be strong this year. I think calling that defeatist is just a lazy response, personally.

I'll say I'm happy with a good performance because consistanly good team performances will give you the best long term outcome. However, 'it's a results based industry', so I'll say a point is a good outcome, whilst internally thinking 'you don't mean that do you. Lets get 3 points.'

If you don't think there is any chance of finding a way to win a game, then maybe that's defeatist. Hoping for the best but fearing/expecting the worst isn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The analysis piece in the Post has got it right. Stoke have a strong spine and are well set up defensively with 3 big centre backs and Jon Obi Mikel screening in front. It is difficult therefore to attack them through the middle. Their CBs are however reluctant to come out of the centre so we need to move the ball quickly down the flanks getting in behind their wing backs. We also need to switch play frequently from side to side to pull Mikel out of position. Stoke are a real threat if we allow the likes of Powell and Clucas to get on the ball, but we are confident and the game is winnable, but I too would take a draw. 

I'd say we need a real threat down those flanks.

Eliasson and Sessegnon offer far more pace than Rowe and Hunt. 

I wonder if Holden will be brave. But I guess Sessegnon did look pretty tired near the end on Wednesday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Is it defeatist to not expect to win every game? Note I said expect, not want.

I'd say it's being realistic. Stoke is a very tough game, we have some of our first choice players out, and they'll likely be replaced with some younger players without much championship experience.

A point for me would be a good result against a team I expect to be strong this year. I think calling that defeatist is just a lazy response, personally.

Actually I wasn't responding to you, although I can see why you might think so if you do, no, just the general way 'we' are as a club, for me confidence is everything in this game, Liverpool Leeds have it in spades, as do many other clubs, but we always seem to let the opposition have the upper hand with the mind games. I believe DH has to instill a winning mentality, and he is going some way into doing that 3 wins at home is a good start, fingers crossed we can kick on.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The analysis piece in the Post has got it right. Stoke have a strong spine and are well set up defensively with 3 big centre backs and Jon Obi Mikel screening in front. It is difficult therefore to attack them through the middle. Their CBs are however reluctant to come out of the centre so we need to move the ball quickly down the flanks getting in behind their wing backs. We also need to switch play frequently from side to side to pull Mikel out of position. Stoke are a real threat if we allow the likes of Powell and Clucas to get on the ball, but we are confident and the game is winnable, but I too would take a draw. 

Cough, cough, ahem!!! 👀

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

I feel the present squad, even with the injuries is strong enough to challenge right to the top...But we have to overcome this defeatist mentality, starting with Stoke, of course we have enough to win there, and I hope an attacking line up is selected, play the team fielded Thursday, trust KP and see where we land. That performance was classy, full of confidence, Stokes game is all about not conceding, and relying on a set piece goal, give them something to think about.

I certainly wouldn't play anything like the team from Thursday. 

It was a fantastic performance and ecactky what we want to see and will help generate genuine competition for places, but you don't leave out your first choice players because a second team dispatched a lower league team, no matter how stylishly. 

They also played on Wednesday  and won't all be upto another 90 minutes straight afterwards. 

I would fully expect to see 6 changes at least from Thursday, but with the added bonus of fitter, hungry and Co fident players ready and waiting on the bench, should their chance come again. 

I would then expect to see a high number of changes again for Thursdays tie Vs Villa. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

I think this is a very good point and one I would agree with. Cotterill was a known quantity, Holden much less so but so far so very good.

How do you condense a photo? 

Trust me

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Are you saying “something” looks “condensed” in a photo?  Camera never lies Tone! 😂

Just trust me to do my job Dafydd 

Edited by BigTone
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Big test of Holden's credentials tomorrow, based on performances neither Fammy nor Wiemann should be in starting 11. Be interesting to see if Holden will reward those showing form or do an LJ and pick under performing players again and again and again.

Edited by old_eastender
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take a point. Win your home games and pick up draws away from home and you're promoted 

Stoke won't be easy. Mean defence.

If we get an early goal, it may force them out a bit. If they score, it will be a nightmare breaking them down

Good game for brunt, set pieces could be the answer 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Big test of Holden's credentials tomorrow, based on performances neither Fammy nor Wiemann should be in starting 11. Be interesting to see if Holden will reward those showing form or do an LJ and pick under performing players again and again and again.

Yep I hope we don't play a striker in CM or another striker ( who was great last season but has  yet to sign a new contract. Hopefully Martin is seen as fit enough to start really liked his link up play in the week, I think this will help Wells .

I don't mind Wiemann playing but as a striker if martin isn't ready.

Edited by miketh2nd
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Big test of Holden's credentials tomorrow, based on performances neither Fammy nor Wiemann should be in starting 11. Be interesting to see if Holden will reward those showing form or do an LJ and pick under performing players again and again and again.

If he does bench them will you finally stop moaning about it on every sodding post?

Edited by Northern Red
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good measuring stick tomorrow for a number of reasons, can't see a justifiable reason for Weimann to start in midfield so hopefully DH goes for either Nagy or Brunt else whats the point in having stockpiled midfielders.

Whilst we will no doubt be tested defensively Stoke are hardly freescoring so far this season so may not be the worst game possible for Moore and Vyner although they will have to be on their game particularly early on.

Personally if offered a point right now I would take it but also see no reason why we can't win up there with the right team selection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

If he does bench them will you finally stop moaning about it on every sodding post?

What erks me is playing players that won't sign new contracts eg FD & NE. I understand the politics of it all but its a personal thing with me, if a player won't commit then don't play them, especially if we have others committed to the cause. Obviously its a costly exercise but I can't help myself. 

Sorry guys, I just had to get it off my chest & now I'm off for my coat & tin hat.

COYR's

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...