IGNORED

City v Stoke City - Match day 2

Davefevs

Absolutely superb. Whole team takes a bow but particular mentions must go to young Bakinson who ran our midfield always looking to pass forward and Taylor Moore who was immense. Throughout much of the game it was Moore who handled first Vokes and then the vastly experienced Fletcher while Mawson and Vyner handled the threats of Brown/Campbell and Powell. This new style is not just refreshing but it's exciting. Long may it continue. 

Absolutely superb. Whole team takes a bow but particular mentions must go to young Bakinson who ran our midfield always looking to pass forward and Taylor Moore who was immense. Throughout much of the game it was Moore who handled first Vokes and then the vastly experienced Fletcher while Mawson and Vyner handled the threats of Brown/Campbell and Powell. This new style is not just refreshing but it's exciting. Long may it continue. 

10 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Weimann made me eat humble pie today. Fair play to him. Deserved his goal.

I've had some of that pie as well :yes:

So many good performances but I think Bakinson, Moore, and Weimann deserve a shout out and Martin is a bit classy.

I was out at the seaside today, when i saw our midfield of Pattinson, Weiman and Bakinson, on my mobile,  I said ..........we will get overun in midfield, that's terrible selection, and we have no chance of getting anything today.  How wrong can u be?  Just goes to show how little I know, I need to trust the manager..........the one i said should never get the job.  Massive dollops of humble pie consumed.  ?

I had to rely on Radio Stoke for commentary, who were very complimentary about us on the whole.

I got the impression from their commentary that it was very much reminiscent of when teams would come to AG and do a proper job on us and nullify any attacking threat, only with us performing the role of the opposition for a change.

To those who watched it, would that be a fair comparison?

• The title was changed to City v Stoke City - Official Matchday Thread

I must say, thousands miles away from the game, I was thinking that we can't win against this Stoke team which is a good one, despite their last season.  

That Bakinson is a potential  very good player, and the team looked very solid. If we can manage 4-5 staright wins, we can go for a good half season. Maybe this COVID season will be our season, and next year we will meet at the stadium against Manchester UNITED, Liverpool and others :D 

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I had to rely on Radio Stoke for commentary, who were very complimentary about us on the whole.

I got the impression from their commentary that it was very much reminiscent of when teams would come to AG and do a proper job on us and nullify any attacking threat, only with us performing the role of the opposition for a change.

I'm not sure Stoke had a threat to be nullified.

First half we just controlled the game.

Second half they had a bit more of the ball, but were incredibly one dimensional.

Decent performance, good result.  I thought the team managed the game well and Holden used subs intelligently.  Thought Martin again was excellent and Bakinson stood out.  Stoke were pretty impotent, they battled for 20 minutes first half but they haven't turned any corner just yet and are in for a difficult season. 

Special mention for the Radio Sjoke commentators who thought they were far away and the best side in the first half when they had 0 shots on target and 38% possession against a side set up with 5 at the back for counter attacking... those are some special glasses.

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Most concerning thing for me is people putting red Source on humble pie . It’s a dessert pie ain’t it ? That’s just vile . 

Is humble pie a dessert ?? I thought more a main course ?. Red Source on a dessert is just wrong, plain wrong.

I have been known to put salad cream on KFC ?  mind.

42 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yes!

43 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

We did more than just nullify them NR but that's a pretty fair comparison. 

Even the Stoke forum are saying we looked a good side so fair play to them.

27 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

At what point will all the people saying they weren't watching because of Holden's appointment return?

Welcome Back GIF by reactionseditor

There is a thread about that. The OP was getting sh1t something fierce for saying it....Love this place! 

Either way Holden is bringing out the quality we always had in the squad, thus far.....A far cry from what we were getting not that long ago!

I am 100% behind Holden for the season!

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is humble pie a dessert ?? I thought more a main course ?. Red Source on a dessert is just wrong, plain wrong.

I have been known to put salad cream on KFC ?  mind.

Salad cream on kfc is a decent shout actually . Always go with the chicken gravy myself, unless you’re in Majorca . Don’t get me started. Nearly caused a international incident ?

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Salad cream on kfc is a decent shout actually . Always go with the chicken gravy myself, unless you’re in Majorca . Don’t get me started. Nearly caused a international incident ?

??

You can't leave us hanging after that ssn, more info required! 

I agree about the gravy BTW. 

Typical OTIB, nothing to argue about so a match thread turns into this. ?

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

??

You can't leave us hanging after that ssn, more info required! 

I agree about the gravy BTW. 

Typical OTIB, nothing to argue about so a match thread turns into this. ?

Nothing too exciting tbh. Over there on a jolly for a mates 50th went for a kfc and was informed they don’t do gravy in Majorca . It nearly kicked right off over gravy ?? 

55 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I watched with radio Stoke commentary. I thought they were absolutely fair for the most part but still had a flirt with big boy syndrome “with all due respect to Bristol City, we shouldn’t be losing to these!”  

We were comfortable today with the occasional flash of genius. If this is us after a few games then you can absolutely get excited about the rest of the season.  

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I think it would be unfair to say we did a job on them, I think it was more that Stoke could not match us, which limited what they could do. We were always on the front foot, always looked controlled and mostly had an option. Stoke were mostly in the Warnock style of get the ball into the box as quickly as they could.

Archived