IGNORED

Competition ups the ante, oh er missus.

Major Isewater

I am impressed by the start of our season mainly in watching the youngsters and ‘established ‘ first teamers’ move up a level .

We looked streets ahead of Northampton , like we should do but haven’t always managed against plucky lower division sides.

I am sure this is due to bringing in quality players. Every one is boosted and must be on their game and the youngsters can learn from the old pros.

This is a quote from Danny Murphy 

« 
I've seen it happen before, where a major signing comes into your club and everyone raises their levels and improves their performances around him.«  

I am delighted that, unlike LJ, Holden has no problem dealing with experienced pros and equally so that they want to come here and play under him. 

The competition for places means that no one can ‘ coast ‘. 

Just now, Major Isewater said:

I am impressed by the start of our season mainly in watching the youngsters and ‘established ‘ first teamers’ move up a level .

We looked streets ahead of Northampton , like we should do but haven’t always managed against plucky lower division sides.

I am sure this is due to bringing in quality players. Every one is boosted and must be on their game and the youngsters can learn from the old pros.

This is a quote from Danny Murphy 

« 
I've seen it happen before, where a major signing comes into your club and everyone raises their levels and improves their performances around him.«  

I am delighted that, unlike LJ, Holden has no problem dealing with experienced pros and equally so that they want to come here and play under him. 

The competition for places means that no one can ‘ coast ‘. 

Tammy had a similar impact.  I’m hoping Mawson will too.

We'll know Dean Holden has truly arrived as manager when posts start to omit references to LJ.

Be interesting to plot the LJ references as time goes by.

We had some good times, but things weren't right between us and LJ in the end.  We've got a new girlfriend now, so let's just let her be herself and stop making comparisons to the last one.   Time to move on. 

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I love what I am seeing so far.

Still very early, but I like what Holden is trying to do. I like the system and I like how he is trusting in our young players.

We have already seen big differences in how Holden does things, and how LJ would do things.

Coventry game was not great, but Holden sorted the problems we were having by making minor tweaks tactically and then bringing on Bakinson for Massengo.

That did enough to make us control the last 30 minutes that won us the game.

So far it does seem that he is able to make the right decisions rather than the clever ones.

You see the good side because we've won games. The bad side is when you lose you have 17 players who weren't in the first team who now have a good reason to complain. Knocking on a managers door? 2 meters apart, one cross each, first line on the left.

Last season was a free hit. And we've won all our games so far this year. Say we lose today which is perfectly possible as losing any championship game to anyone seems to be for anyone and suddenly there COULD be problems from the squad size and competition. How does Dean react on a losing streak? Hopefully we NEVER find out.

Steve Cotterill was funny and engaging until he started losing. Then he turned into an embarrassing big baby! While we laugh at the tombola, but pulling out 4-2-2-2 and flexibility has its strengths too. Attention to detail to coaching the ability out of players. We've yet to see Dean Holden in trouble. And that'll really show who he is.

There actually was a hint, and not a good one IMO against Coventry. Against Coventry he didn't react quick enough. It was all so LJ as we sat and waited for them to score as the midfield got over run. Eventually it changed. Hope he learns. But he did have a few years watching the same thing, so I think he should have learned already.

I'm consistent on saying that I like that there IS a plan A it seems, and that decisions are being made to support it. What if the plan A doesn't work? How does he react? Does he have ideas to do different things in different situation? I'm kinda waiting 5 minutes to see what his team selection is for today now we have a bunch more central midfielders available.

It always comes back to what Al Davis said. "Just win, baby!" Most people won't care how or why!

Archived