IGNORED

Rene Gilmartin

redordead1

Superb, really insightful, partly from knowing what's been coached all week and the scouting reports, but also it's clear he watches a lot of games as well (think he referenced a Watford game for example).

I'd genuinely love him as co-commentator each week. Best performance in a City shirt (or training jacket..).

Logged in late so spent at least 5 minutes trying to work out exactly "who" the Irish co commentator was??? But even without knowing exactly "who" he was I soon realised here was a professional who certainly knew what he was talking about?  Really good insights throughout and like Bakinson (Sorry @Shtanley) clearly destined for higher profile gigs. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He is currently under 23s coach. I think he might have other roles within the first team too maybe. Not sure exactly on that.

I'm not sure if he is still an option as a player in an emergency role. Though with Jojo probably staying here, I guess he isn't.

He is still player-coach, but more emphasis on coaching this season, whereas last season he was there to play with a bit of coaching.

He is supporting Alex Ball with the u23s and also Ireland age group goalkeeping coach too.

His registration status is a bit strange though, deciding not to register him a squad number.  I guess the club see JoJo as 3rd choice until such point as that changes.

2 minutes ago, glastonred said:

was he any good as a goalkeeper? Can't remember seeing him in action....

Ranging from Average lower league GK to bombscare lower league GK depending on who’s view you take.

i vaguely recall his time at Plymouth, but not enough to form any opinion.

But what I will say is he is an amazing human ? I chatted to him and Kalife for ages at Charlton Farm.  If the pair of them are as good talkers at Failand as they were down the road, we are in a good place.

Last season at Brentford away he was warming the keepers up by getting them to play a game of head tennis/keeping uppie. They all were noticeably laughing and joking and were very relaxed. Rene was certainly the joker ringleader and many of us stood and watched as they were all having such a laugh with lots of banter. It was great to see. 

So glad he has been given a role with the youngsters as he seems a really good  people person with a lot of intelligence and knowledge too.

4 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Does anyone know the wider role he’s been given in the coaching set-up? 

Is it just a case of inviting a clearly bright bloke into the meetings to learn from the Snr coaches or anything more specific?

Would be a great link between coaches and fans to have Rene as a regular on the programme and his comments certainly inspired confidence in where the club is headed. 

He mentioned that he and Pat Mountain are involved in defensive drills, presumably to ensure the goalkeepers point of view is taken into consideration.

Archived