IGNORED

To the Weimann haters..

Son of Fred

40 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Williams Walsh and Morrell Will have to go some to displace him in league games!

Williams won't. He has all Weimann's energy but also the aggressive tackling, passing ability, and 360° awareness of a genuine central midfielder.

Well played today though, Andy.

Competition for places is exactly what we need. 

10 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Who hates Weimann? Apart from the Mad Dog.

In fact who in there right mind hates any city player?

If we had most of our midfielders fit i wouldn't play him in a 3,but what do i know, Holden clearly knows more than i ever will.

Keep it up Dean fantastic start.

This

Don't hate Weimann but do question him playing in midfield when we have so many of them already and it didn't work to great effect last season but happy to be proved wrong. Not seen the game today, assume he played well?

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Weimann is an enigma, for me. 
There were 4 occasions in the first half today where, with an ounce of composure he could’ve threaded a through ball and created an easy chance. But he either overhit, under hit or didn’t even hit. 

But because he runs and runs and runs he gets more of these opportunities fall to him. 

His industry often creates his success. I just wish he had just the teeniest bit of composure when trying to thread a final ball. 

This is it for me, his desire to keep going is the main asset that keeps him in the team line ups, without it I don't even think he'd get a look in.

Today he wasn't a weak link but I think Bakinson allows Weimann a place in the starting line up today, he did all the work we're usually missing and it allowed Weimann a bit more freedom. Whilst we can win with Weimann in the team I think I'd much rather have a trio of Williams (when fit), Bakinson and either Palmer or Paterson. 

Weimann is great to have because he's able to play in a lot of different positions but I don't think he excels in any of them and whilst people can throw stats like 4 games played, 3 assists and a goal I think it's fair to say he's been here before with great stats and then gone missing the rest of the season. I suppose what it comes down to is how will he cope against the Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford teams? I mean Coventry and Stoke are still teams to be respected but Stoke are yet to score a goal and although they boast a solid season last season Coventry are still newly promoted. I think we'll see just how much we need three natural midfielders when we come up against the strongest opposition.

For the record I do like Weimann but I think he's more of a squad player than a starting 11 player, I just hope we see more Bakinson as we go on.

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Williams won't. He has all Weimann's energy but also the aggressive tackling, passing ability, and 360° awareness of a genuine central midfielder.

Well played today though, Andy.

Competition for places is exactly what we need. 

Yes competition is good. I will await Williams and if AWs form drops, he gets injured Or we start losing he will get his chance. I’m sure

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

There were 4 occasions in the first half today where, with an ounce of composure he could’ve threaded a through ball and created an easy chance. But he either overhit, under hit or didn’t even hit. 

But because he runs and runs and runs he gets more of these opportunities fall to him. 

His industry often creates his success. I just wish he had just the teeniest bit of composure when trying to thread a final ball. 

I was just going to say the same. Work rate is excellent. His ability to find pockets of space - also excellent. Composure on the ball when in that space - could do better. 

33 minutes ago, chinapig said:

More generally, some fans fixate on what players can't do rather than what they can. Fammy is another example. They always seem to want a whipping boy, even when things are going well.

I believe many High Court Judges, MPs and Lords want the same thing!

Did well today. Got a goal too, nice- has a decent end product. 

Still got my doubts about how much control and security we get with Paterson and Weimann in CM 3. Stoke away this was a step up.

Zero shots on target conceded- impressive! He also helped Hunt out on the right at times- that ability to pull wider is another thing in his favour.

He's definitely an asset, just unsure he's right for CM if we're to hit our optimum level.

Issue I have isn't with Andi but the overall midfield dynamic - I just don't see the sense in having both Pato and Weimann ahead of Bakinson.

Weimmans off the ball work-rate means he's more useful of the two - Pato's been MIA. Need to play one or the other, Nagy/Morrell over Pato for me and then I have no issue.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Although I agree with you about those missed opportunities after he had got in good positions, overall today was his best performance for a long, long, long time. 

He always runs his socks off but often it's a headless chicken act, today he pressed with purpose. Also today he made himself available for simple short passes after we had been defending, often he runs away from his teammate with the ball looking to get on the end of a wonder pass that never comes. 

So overall a really good team contribution and if he maintains that standard nobody will complain about him being in the starting 11. Although I still think against the better sides we have to play 2 proper CMs, and one of Weimann, Pato, Palmer.

43 minutes ago, Spike said:

This is it for me, his desire to keep going is the main asset that keeps him in the team line ups, without it I don't even think he'd get a look in.

he’s now started 8 games under Holden in the CM3 and bar 55 mins v Coventry and a bit of Swansea (a) we haven’t got “strung out”....which used to happen to us often.  Desire? Yep, but coupled with intelligence, and graft, and unfortunately a bit of a lack of composure at times too.  It’s kinda why he’s played at the top level, but had to drop into the Champ.

Today he wasn't a weak link but I think Bakinson allows Weimann a place in the starting line up today, he did all the work we're usually missing and it allowed Weimann a bit more freedom. Whilst we can win with Weimann in the team I think I'd much rather have a trio of Williams (when fit), Bakinson and either Palmer or Paterson.

That’s a good point, but I think it works both ways on evidence.  Pretty much every time Bakinson got pressed, Weimann was alongside him making himself available to get an easy pass.  Really keen to see how many times that happens when the stats update.  It is something Weimann failed to do well last week with Massengo, hence why we were disjointed.

We won an away game comfortably with one of the CM3 not having that great a game - Pato - he worked hard though.  That’s a good sign.

Weimann is great to have because he's able to play in a lot of different positions but I don't think he excels in any of them and whilst people can throw stats like 4 games played, 3 assists and a goal I think it's fair to say he's been here before with great stats and then gone missing the rest of the season. I suppose what it comes down to is how will he cope against the Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford teams? I mean Coventry and Stoke are still teams to be respected but Stoke are yet to score a goal and although they boast a solid season last season Coventry are still newly promoted. I think we'll see just how much we need three natural midfielders when we come up against the strongest opposition.

...and I hope we see the likes of Williams, Walsh, Morrell, Nagy, Brunt, Massengo coming into the midfield for many of those.  Powell and Clucas aren’t industrious, Mikel is getting on...and Holden picked Weimann, who I guess he thought could run them ragged with his energy.  Against other teams that might not be the way to go.

For the record I do like Weimann but I think he's more of a squad player than a starting 11 player, I just hope we see more Bakinson as we go on.

I see it all as a squad game, there will be a handful who will play most games (the better players), but I think we have players who can come in and do what is needed.

Good post Spike - comments ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Weimann’s pressing is a thing of beauty and a lot our players seem to take cues from him.

Would he be in my starting line-up if everyone is fit? Not sure but at the moment he would and that’s purely down to you know what you’re getting. Until we get a good look at Walsh, Morrell and even Williams and see how DH intends to use them, it’s hard not to see him in the team at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We had to play someone like Weimann today. I would have thought that the last thing that a match rusty, aging Mikel would have wanted to see was a man capable of running at him again and again for 90 minutes. 

Yet everyone was suggesting our CM3 would get over-run pre-game.  The pre-conceived bias about certain players astounds me at times.

5 hours ago, Dog said:

I tipped stoke for promotion based on how they ended last season. Look dreadful now though.

5 hours ago, Dog said:

Lack any sense of creativity. Will make it difficult for teams when playing away as they did us but no spark bar Powell whose a 1 in 5 player.

Have you thought that maybe it was due to their opponents???

:dunno:

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Exactly as I saw it today, Harry.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yet everyone was suggesting our CM3 would get over-run pre-game.  The pre-conceived bias about certain players astounds me at times.

Our CM3 looked very shaky against Exeter and Coventry and for 30 odd minutes v Cobblers imo. I'm still a bit surprised that Stoke struggled so much in possession today. 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Exactly as I saw it today, Harry.

yep, bloody frustrating...broke the lines brilliantly, then lacked composure (on 3/4 occasions)

Our CM3 looked very shaky against Exeter and Coventry and for 30 odd minutes v Cobblers imo. I'm still a bit surprised that Stoke struggled so much in possession today. 

Yes, spells in the Exeter and Cov games for a multitude of reasons, not just the midfield.  Northampton was just about winning the battle, not sure we looked shaky.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think there were too many unforced errors in th battle v Northampton, particularly in midfield, but the quality of that last hour massively overshadowed that.

Back to Weimann, his chasing down in the last 10 minutes today was insane. Incredible effort.

Archived