IGNORED

Say a little prayer

Bat Fastard

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You keep on about injuries, we know so have other teams also they have had to play the same number of games. We dont know why DH did not bring in a LB, but that is only the last 2 games we have been woeful for ages even when we have had enough fit players, to give teams a game.

Sorry DH has not got a clue and problems are much bigger than caused by the injuries.

So how would you suggest he deals with the lack of left footed players?  Young Towler was up against a £40m player on his debut at the age of 18 and playing out of his normal position.  

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Does anyone think some of, most certainly not all, these injuries would suddenly clear up with a respected Manager in place?

Just something that's been bothering me.

That’s definitely something I’ve thought about A certain missing midfielder. 

11 minutes ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

Here we go again... "Nice guy" is Dean... How do you know? He's a blagger... Totally clueless. Players love him... Not surprised... He holds no authority with them... They're all cruising...

Yes, agree.. our worst manager.... And that's saying something.

Ok, how do you know then?  Have you got any inside contacts?

He may be having a tough time at the moment, but if he left tomorrow he wouldn’t be our worst manager, not by a long shot.

But then again people were very critical of Joe Jordan during his first full season in charge.  His second season was ok...

54 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

In fairness, you could also point out that he is currently missing 11 front line pros.  Three of his players are coming back from long term injuries and are not up to speed yet and he has 4 virtually untried kids in the squad.  That is a total of 18 players of a squad of thirty four - and three of those are goalkeepers.  It hardly seems fair to condemn Dean in the current circumstances - especially when the active players are probably knackered with playing so much and may well be carrying various knocks and not playing their best football.  I doubt if many managers could weave the current lot of players available into a promotion winning team.  If he gets players back, as Tins said in on Saturday, they will need to be nursed back to match fitness and not rushed for fear of causing further injuries.  It seems clear that this season has become a bit of a write off and it would be a great achievement if we could end up in mid table and then get all the squad really fit for next season.  With our best players available, I feel we are a match for most teams in this league.

I suggest that the head coach and team need full support right now and not the regulation baying for blood that seems to be a feature of this forum whenever difficult times come along.  

In all fairness Bat, the same thing has been said for the past few seasons, when we’re waiting for injured players to return. When they do eventually get back, the performances normally go from bad to worse.  The problem is this year, the slump started even earlier than usual.

Not just Dean Holden’s fault though and there seems to be an all-round team efforts of failures, from players, medical team, head coach, plus the hesd honchos above.

Ironically, it now looks like we’ve got everyone pulling in the same direction, but unfortunately that is by doing their jobs consistently badly, as evidenced by dire performances on the pitch and our horrendous injury list and recovery management and it’s taking the club backwards at an alarming rate.

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

In all fairness Bat, the same thing has been said for the past few seasons, when we’re waiting for injured players to return. When they do eventually get back, the performances normally go from bad to worse.  The problem is this year, the slump started even earlier than usual.

Not just Dean Holden’s fault though and there seems to be an all-round team efforts of failures, from players, medical team, head coach, plus the hesd honchos above.

Ironically, it now looks like we’ve got everyone pulling in the same direction, but unfortunately that is by doing their jobs consistently badly, as evidenced by dire performances on the pitch and our horrendous injury list and recovery management and it’s taking the club backwards at an alarming rate.

Dean's first season has coincided with covid and a massive injury crisis.  I am not at all surprised at his current plight but would still like to see him given longer.  I could not see a different manager achieving much more in current dire circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

So how would you suggest he deals with the lack of left footed players?  Young Towler was up against a £40m player on his debut at the age of 18 and playing out of his normal position.  

Your missing my point, we were a shambles before Rowe got injured, so you keep on about no LB is a red herring.

Why have we not got a LB in, was it down to DH or MA or SL, none of us know so giving the benefit of the doubt in that.

He cannot get a team to play well with or without a LB

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Your missing my point, we were a shambles before Rowe got injured, so you keep on about no LB is a red herring.

Why have we not got a LB in, was it down to DH or MA or SL, none of us know so giving the benefit of the doubt in that.

He cannot get a team to play well with or without a LB

If you include O'Dowda as a potential wing back, we have four more left backs in the squad - all with either long term injuries or back in the next few weeks.  Another body has to be paid and maybe the recoveries have not gone as well as hoped - time will tell. As fans, we are likely to be the last to be informed.

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Sadly the surgeons knife is less forgiving and time is needed to heal and rehabilitate.  Prayer may be all we have right now - so don't knock it!!

You're valiant attempt is not making me feel particularly positive Mr Fastard.

Maybe Dean is being fed to the wolves while any new incumbent has a clearer reset with so many players out of contract?

There is certainly an issue somewhere but where does that lie in your opinion Sir?

You're valiant attempt is not making me feel particularly positive Mr Fastard.

Maybe Dean is being fed to the wolves while any new incumbent has a clearer reset with so many players out of contract?

There is certainly an issue somewhere but where does that lie in your opinion Sir?

We are told that we plan two or three transfer windows in advance, so I hope there is a master plan.  We seem to lack pace and penertation and I would like to see these qualities brought into the team. The returns of Sasilva, O'Dowda and Weimann would help.  Hunt looks to struggle if he plays consecutive games - but his is a difficult position at his age.  I would expect to see a rebuilding in the summer, subject to financial constraints.  MA will have plans afoot and is probably lining up the players right now. Time to have faith!

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Then you must be the most pessimistic chap to ever walk the earth. 

Im struggling To think Of anyone who’d do worse currently. 

Fordy - it may be true! I have been called a miserable bastard.  My view is that we need to get through this season, stay up and then regroup in the summer. For me, that is quite optimistic.

15 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ok, how do you know then?  Have you got any inside contacts?

He may be having a tough time at the moment, but if he left tomorrow he wouldn’t be our worst manager, not by a long shot.

But then again people were very critical of Joe Jordan during his first full season in charge.  His second season was ok...

I remember a lot of criticism of Alan Dicks in the early days of his first managerial appointment.

He didn't do too bad eventually though!

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

We are told that we plan two or three transfer windows in advance, so I hope there is a master plan.  We seem to lack pace and penertation and I would like to see these qualities brought into the team. The returns of Sasilva, O'Dowda and Weimann would help.  Hunt looks to struggle if he plays consecutive games - but his is a difficult position at his age.  I would expect to see a rebuilding in the summer, subject to financial constraints.  MA will have plans afoot and is probably lining up the players right now. Time to have faith!

Do you trust MA or in particular DH to have the right plans in place Sir?

Are both likely to be with us in the summer?

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Fordy - it may be true! I have been called a miserable bastard.  My view is that we need to get through this season, stay up and then regroup in the summer. For me, that is quite optimistic.

For me ‘getting through this season’ is fiddling while Rome burns. 

Do you trust MA or in particular DH to have the right plans in place Sir?

There is nobody else to trust right now. Love the one you're with!

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Then come up with a plan to restore some of our left footed and pacey players!

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

Dean's first season has coincided with covid and a massive injury crisis.  I am not at all surprised at his current plight but would still like to see him given longer.  I could not see a different manager achieving much more in current dire circumstances.

I’ve got some sympathy with Dean, but every manager and head coach has had to deal with the Covid situation too.  As for the injury crisis, we’ve got plenty of past form on this and imho, that can’t just be put down to bad luck and is an indication of an underlying problem.  Clearly, both those situations are beyond DH’s control, but they are making his job more difficult than it would otherwise be

What he can’t hide from though is the shambolic tactics and team selections, which aren’t always down to not having the right players available.  He’s now giving a very good impression of a Lee Johnson Mk 2, though thankfully without the nausiating after match rambling and excuses.

I personally think the problems in this club are running far deeper than Dean Holden, even though I was completely against his appointment.  To be honest, I’ve gone past caring whether he stays or goes now, as I’ve got zero confidence that even if Dean is made the sacrificial lamb, there will be any effort to get anyone any better in his place.  

We’ve now backed ourselves into a place where no decent manager will touch us with a very long barge pole!

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Maybe that's exactly what we're doing Fordy, fiddling while the decks are cleared under Dean ready for a clean sweep in the summer?

Risking our Championship status while doing it probably wasn't in the script though.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Maybe that's exactly what we're doing Fordy, fiddling while the decks are cleared under Dean ready for a clean sweep in the summer?

But the board have shown before - very recently in fact - that they want a new manager to have as much preparation time as possible... that could be now!

Still, I have absolutely zero faith in them appointing anyone worthwhile. It’ll probably be back to SL’s love child. 

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I’ve got some sympathy with Dean, but every manager and head coach has had to deal with the Covid situation too.  As for the injury crisis, we’ve got plenty of past form on this and imho, that can’t just be put down to bad luck and is an indication of an underlying problem.  Clearly, both those situations are beyond DH’s control, but they are making his job more difficult than it would otherwise be

What he can’t hide from though is the shambolic tactics and team selections, which aren’t always down to not having the right players available.  He’s now giving a very good impression of a Lee Johnson Mk 2, though thankfully without the nausiating after match rambling and excuses.

I personally think the problems in this club are running far deeper than Dean Holden, even though I was completely against his appointment.  To be honest, I’ve gone past caring whether he stays or goes now, as I’ve got zero confidence that even if Dean is made the sacrificial lamb, there will be any effort to get anyone any better in his place.  

We’ve now backed ourselves into a place where no decent manager will touch us with a very long barge pole!

I think we would be a great gig for many able managers - but we have Dean and he is facing incredible challenges at the present time.  We have not seen the best of him or his team because we have not seen half his team for months. We are clearly constrained by finances but the so are around half of the teams in our league.  We do seem to get an awful lot of severe hamstring problems and that might warrant further investigation.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

But the board have shown before - very recently in fact - that they want a new manager to have as much preparation time as possible... that could be now!

Still, I have absolutely zero faith in them appointing anyone worthwhile. It’ll probably be back to SL’s love child. 

I'm with you Fordy but I'm just trying to find the remotest clue of WTF the club are doing!

I'm clutching at some seriously unlikely straws, I appreciate but am hoping it's not a case of 'we have no idea what we're doing' which is the other option IMHO.

36 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Does anyone think some of, most certainly not all, these injuries would suddenly clear up with a respected Manager in place?

Just something that's been bothering me.

not sure the manager might be the problem but i do wonder if there is a bit of 'if he can have time off,so can i' or something going on. especially during the miserable cold wet months during a covid season.. i dont know anything about what goes on down there but said after mawson was reported going back for assessment that we wont se him again. probably begged his club to get him back away from our shit shower

I don't think a change of Head Coach at this stage would be helpful. The massive injury list plus having to play half fit players (Pato for one) makes Holdens task impossible. I would add the senior players, Hunt, Wells & Diedhiou have all been letting the team down recently. I would let Hunt, Baker & Diedhiou leave on Frees at season end & if we can get anything for them Wells & Palmer too. Was not appreciative of Andi Weinman until a few weeks before his injury when I realised his constant chasing was unsettling the opposition rather than him being a ' headless chicken' ( sorry Andi!)

Although far from the popular view I would stick with DH & let him have a non-Covid & hopefully a less injured squad next season to see how he does then. That is, of course, assuming we stay up this season. Performances must improve quickly as they have been awful. I fear season ticket sales could be at least 5000 down if no improvement made.

Just now, Wiltshire robin said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been fine this whole time , there was a video back when it was the first training session of pre season and he looked like he was being sentenced in court 

“I sentence you to 12 months of Holden’s anti football!”

”Noooo! I’ll take the lethal injection!”

Archived