IGNORED

Say a little prayer

Bat Fastard

36 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Interesting how many of those most vocal against his appointment are the ones not in favour of threads like this and call it imbeciles point scoring, rather than taking it as simply proving a point that they may have been imbiciles to be so against something that they really knew very little about. 

Deary me, probably 75% of the fan base thought Hughton was the best man for the job, the majority of that 75% wished Holden well when he got the job. 

Every City fan will be happy with the start we have made, so please stop this continuous point scoring, we had it for four years with LJ, just grow up a bit ,and be happy, rather than being poisonous. 

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Deary me, probably 75% of the fan base thought Hughton was the best man for the job, the majority of that 75% wished Holden well when he got the job. 

Every City fan will be happy with the start we have made, so please stop this continuous point scoring, we had it for four years with LJ, just grow up a bit ,and be happy, rather than being poisonous. 

Spot on Bill, lovely result today, I wanted Hughton because I want us in the top flight before I snuff it, but I get behind the manager because they run  MY TEAM and I hope Dean does it for us, nice Guy and deserves success for us. COYR

I must admit, I really wanted to congratulate @Bar BS3for being the only one to promote Holden as a realistic choice prior to his appointment. Sadly I could find plenty of posts slagging off other Reds for their picks for the job but none where Bar gives an opinion on who it should be.

Just because Bar posted a few "wait and see" posts after the fact doesn't make him a clairvoyant. 

It seems the OP gets more enjoyment at hammering fellow fans rather than enjoying the moment. 

I will freely admit I didn't want Holden in the job but have always said, once he got it, he should be backed all the way. I doubt anyone could have foreseen the strong start we've made and let's enjoy the feeling and hope it continues. 

Let's enjoy it together and leave the "told you so's" until the end of (hopefully a very successful) season. 

What a moronic post from the OP. All of us are City fans who want to see us do well, opinions differ - that’s a fact of life. 

Great start for Holden, one I hope continues. But I recall his predecessor was streaky, time will tell if he’s the same. 

Just now, tin said:

What a moronic post from the OP. All of us are City fans who want to see us do well, opinions differ - that’s a fact of life. 

Great start for Holden, one I hope continues. But I recall his predecessor was streaky, time will tell if he’s the same. 

Sorry, but moronic is taking it a bit too far, misguided maybe?  The most sensible comment i have read on this thread, is "It's a long old season" .......which it is.  Everbody needs to wait until November until any practical judgement is assessed.  IMHO.  PS. So good to outplay Stoke today though?

It is certainly one of the wonders of the world to watch leopards changing spots!  I know it is early days but there is much to suggest that Dean Holden really knows what he is doing and is backed up by several wise old heads. Excellent recruits as well.  Nothing to suggest that the board are all the rude names they were called during and after the selection process. Many very short memories on this forum.  Let us hope it all works out for the best!

35 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It is certainly one of the wonders of the world to watch leopards changing spots!  I know it is early days but there is much to suggest that Dean Holden really knows what he is doing and is backed up by several wise old heads. Excellent recruits as well.  Nothing to suggest that the board are all the rude names they were called during and after the selection process. Many very short memories on this forum.  Let us hope it all works out for the best!

You have some gall posting that after getting ratioed’ by myself and dismissed by many others on this thread.

As usual though, you’re deliberately misrepresenting the considered points people have made and tediously decided it is ‘leopards changing their spots’. Just enjoy the win.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You have some gall posting that after getting ratioed’ by myself and dismissed by many others on this thread.

As usual though, you’re deliberately misrepresenting the considered points people have made and tediously decided it is ‘leopards changing their spots’. Just enjoy the win.

Don't waste your time with this guy

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have the gall to remember the terrible things that were said on this forum about the board and DH and spent some considerable time supporting  those who run our club in difficult circumstances. Some people took exception to my support.  I hope that everyone comes "on side" and comes to the conclusion that Bristol City is a very well run football club and that those in charge are decent and talented people and do not deserve to be insulted.  I fully understand that, like any football team, we may be a couple of key injuries away from a run of difficult form, but there is much to suggest at this early stage that DH, his backroom team and players are showing great promise.  I have the gall to be a positive supporter - I appreciate that those with a more negative outlook will find this offensive.  A forum is usually the place where one might be expected to state, defend and hone opinions. Sorry if this does not fit your agenda.

The popular phase at DH appointment was  the feeling of being underwhelmed , after the statements made by SL.  However the bigger picture was the appointment of Simpson &  Downing to support DH.  Seems like we now have a top rate ‘staff team’ with Simpson playing at the top level. Some very good signings as well and the season looks a lot better than 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Just got to get bums on seats in the stadium now 

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

The popular phase at DH appointment was  the feeling of being underwhelmed , after the statements made by SL.  However the bigger picture was the appointment of Simpson &  Downing to support DH.  Seems like we now have a top rate ‘staff team’ with Simpson playing at the top level. Some very good signings as well and the season looks a lot better than 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Just got to get bums on seats in the stadium now 

that is a spot on assessment,

14 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Interesting how many of those most vocal against his appointment are the ones not in favour of threads like this and call it imbeciles point scoring, rather than taking it as simply proving a point that they may have been imbiciles to be so against something that they really knew very little about. 

We are two games in.....

15 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The opening poster was against Mr Johnson being replaced. 

13 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I tell you what is incredibly tedious, was having to read all of the vitriol aimed at our owner, his son and the CEO.  Its the same people who get upset when after all the fuss, anger and abuse turns out to be misplaced or wrong.  But when people pull them up on it, its the same "just enjoy the win" that comes out instead of maning up and admitting they were wrong, becasue their egos won't allow it.  

So everything points torwards that if you're wrong, or want to call the club out, the get out clause is always enjoy the football. 

SL, MA and JL have made a fantastic decison by the looks of it, but I don't think I've seen a single apology.  MA got dogs abuse on here as did our owner.  I think its only right that people get called out for it.  Imagine how horrible those few weeks were for them, getting called all sorts!  Then we just shrug it off, like, yeah, just enjoy the results. 

Why should anyone apologise? The club handled the appointment, especially communication, badly. That can’t be disputed - Lansdown admitted this himself.

As for admitting they were wrong - we’re a couple of games into the season. It’s very early.

My expectation for us this season is top 6 and so far we’re achieving that aim.

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

You think they deserved the abuse they all got because the communication was bad?  I've never been so disgusted at supporting this club.  The fanbase was really out of order IMO. 

Obviously some go over the top but as usual that’s a vocal minority. It’s an Internet forum and hyperbole comes with the territory to an extent.

What I saw, in general, was harsh critique. Nothing wrong with that - the club asked for it given how they communicated and raised fan expectations. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Some fans acted embarrassingly. 

I say 'some' because it was only a tiny portion of our fan base that said the things they did on social media. 

I agreed with Lansdown that the only thing they could have done differently is explain that this appointment may take some time.

But let's face it, had Lansdown and the club announced that then it would not have made any difference.

Lansdown saying a breath of fresh air is something fans chose meant anyone but Holden or anyone else currently at the club.

I thought Holden was a breath of fresh air. He's showing that so far and thought he showed it in those 5 final games. 

We could have appointed someone outside of the club who might well have played negative football and not given the likes of Bakinson and Semenyo a chance. That could have been more like LJ than Holden and would certainly have not been a breath of fresh air.

Never really understood the problem with Ashton either and the job he's doing. Superb recruitment again this summer. Not got many wrong overall. A few really bad ones over the years we have hopefully learnt from. But so many great signings too.

But I've never believed it is what some seem to believe. That he is the one who decides who we sign. Just something people have made up I think. He makes the deals happen and it has to fit in with the budget etc. But no way does he say Holden here you go, work with that.

But if that is his role then actually he's made some terrific signings, not just in making the deals happen, but identifying them! In reality I believe the club that Holden is the one who decides who we sign.

So far all looking very good. Exactly what I wanted to see and had a feeling Holden would go with this kind of philosophy.

I think threads like this are fair enough. I'm sure I took some stick, not that I care. But I always had Holden as one id like. And trusted that from all the interviews that he would be the one that does things the right way, which is far more important than it being a 'big name'

Lansdown shouldn't have said what he said on the TalkSport interview. I appreciate it's a small thing, but it was very important.

We're going over old ground here, but these are the main quotes.

"The aim is to get us into the Premier League as soon as we can."

"When it comes to the crunch, he hasn't got us over the line and we felt it was time to make the move, to make a change for someone who can help us make that next step."

"We felt if we were going to make a change we should start now, bring a breath of fresh air into the club, everyone was on a downer at the point and anybody coming in gets plenty of time for the new season."

Anyone claiming the first manager they'd think of when reading those quotes at the time was Holden is lying. 

It's difficult being caretaker, but we didn't look fantastic under Holden as caretaker and no fans had any inkling what sort of transfer business we'd be making. You can understand fans thinking that Holden would be appointed to steady the ship and ride out the Covid situation.

As it happens, we've spent a reasonable amount and bought in genuinely seasoned Championship players on good wages. That obviously changes the entire complexion of the situation.

There are some who are determined to make anonymous forum posters 'eat humble pie' (just a couple of games into the season) but I think that only really applies if fans want a manager to fail and criticise him personally. Criticism was levied at the board for the recruitment process and raising of expectation more than anything. From the off, Holden had goodwill among supporters - even if he is now exceeding expectations.

I must admit I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with the appointment of Dean Holden considering that he was untested as a Manager, and that was down mainly to the fact that SL had said that the club wanted to appoint the right man to get us over the line and into the Premier League.

From what I have seen and heard since Dean's appointment I am beginning to believe that the decision to go with Dean is the right one.

Right from the very first interview I liked Dean's honesty, hunger for success and clarity. I felt that he was winning me over and it appears that he is having the same effect on the players.

I also watched the interviews with Keith Downing and Paul Simpson and like what I have heard from them too. There is a lot of coaching experience with those two and they both seem very grounded and professional.

The players seem to be free of their shackles and able to express themselves on the field and you can clearly see that the players are onboard and all want to be playing well to grab a shirt. They are also complimenting each other and you can feel a real sense of comradery in the camp.

We look a better balanced team on the pitch and we are able to mix it up.

I liked that Dean is able to see what is actually happening on the pitch and make changes in the right place at the right time.

There seems to be a plan B and even a plan C where in game tactics are concerned. No sign of the tombola yet.

It's all well and good to spout philosophies, but football as with any sport is about getting the right mindset, being able to talk to the players in a language which they understand so that they know the job that they need to be doing as well as how they can contribute to supporting the rest of the team, and ultimately being fit enough and drilled in the right way to take the things that they are doing on the training field and putting it to practice on matchday.

The tempo is up and we don't seem to be wasting set plays by trying something confusing and it is starting to click.

It's very early into the season and you still need luck and avoid too many injuries if possible, but I certainly feel much more comfortable with Dean and his coaches at the helm than I did with the previous regime.

Lots to feel positive about at the moment. I hope that we can continue to build some momentum and will be taking an interest in how we bounce back from defeat when it happens.

Still, we all need to keep our feet on the ground and not get too carried away.

Overall, a solid and impressive start to the season.

15 hours ago, bris red said:

Totally agree. It was always going to be the case though that these imbeciles would try and start the point scoring early on..

Agreed there's no need for point scoring but it's probably also best to stop trying to make it an 'us' and 'them' situation using words like imbeciles who have a different view.  We are one fan base and all have different opinions.  When I made the case for Dean your response was a slightly limited  'F off'.    Each to their own and no worries but, as I say, we are one fan base and can disagree without point scoring or abusive.

It's not about being right or wrong & most who didn't want Dean made valid points.  Anyway, let's all be happy that it's showing early signs of being the right decision.   There is a feel good factor both on and off the pitch.   

The fact is it's not just results, it's a number of things that are positive arising from DH's awareness of what works well.

He seems committed to playing easy on the eye attacking football but with a bit of grit and pragmatism when we haven't got the ball.

He's encouraging players to express themselves and has encouraged a sense of freedom without being reckless.  We have a talented quad but I felt under LJ , even the ball playing players were so afraid of making a mistake they just hoofed it and conceded possession.  One example of playing with freedom but being sensible is how he instructed Palmer to play.  I like the fact DH told Palmer to stay upfield and do what he does best.  It didn't mean an absence of work rate or pressing either.  I think under LJ he was told to track back and often conceded possession in dangerous areas.   DH seems to have an instinct of a players positional strengths and brings the best out of them.

I love his down to earth honest attitude and that will work well with players. I think he will be a good man manager. 

I like the fact that he's been here long enough to have some emotional attachment to the Club.  He wears his heart on the sleeve and, after the likes of O'Driscoll, it gives a feel good factor to the Club. 

The new coaches add to that with their enthusiasm as well. He's appointed two excellent coaches who he will listen to and learn from. He made the point he didn't want 'yes' men. They are both great assets to the Club and will help bring on young players and already seem to be doing that.

He's playing a system that suits our squad and has recruited accordingly.  He also blooded young players and they are all playing well with confidence.

Definitely, there will be downs as well as ups but, whether we go up or not, it will be a terrific season if we play decent football, challenge for the play-offs and see the likes of Bakinson, Vyner , Moore, Morrell and Semenyo emerge (as they all look like doing) as quality, confident first team players.  

He's added a few seasoned but quality footballers that are 'winners' (Martin, Brunt & Mawson) showing he has an eye for a player and a winning mentality in a player.  I think a legitimate concern was that Dean might be too nice for management.  He's definitely a good guy but he has shown he has steel with some of his decisions as well as the fact that the team are no longer soft touch pushovers.  He wants attractive football but with a winning mean streak.  He has even adopted that mentality for training sessions.

Anyway, let's just enjoy it and be solid in showing support.

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I have always tried to support rather than get on the backs of managers and players. Lee did many very good things during his stint as head coach and some of the fruits of his labours are starting to find their feet in the first team.  I find the tone of some of the criticism to be very rude and unpleasant and feel that this reflects badly on the fan base.  Two of the main culprits have shown their disapproval for my original quote. If they hate so much about the club, why do they bother? They boast about no longer going to matches (covid aside) and lack the will to support, but still come on here to criticise.  It takes all sorts I suppose.

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I have always tried to support rather than get on the backs of managers and players. Lee did many very good things during his stint as head coach and some of the fruits of his labours are starting to find their feet in the first team.  I find the tone of some of the criticism to be very rude and unpleasant and feel that this reflects badly on the fan base.  Two of the main culprits have shown their disapproval for my original quote. If they hate so much about the club, why do they bother? They boast about no longer going to matches (covid aside) and lack the will to support, but still come on here to criticise.  It takes all sorts I suppose.

23 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

For all the fans who stopped watching our beloved Bristol City because Dean Holden was appointed manager.  Maybe they will creep back and grudgingly accept that the club has chosen well.

Early days yet. Not creeping back anytime soon thank you. I have heard that Martin is class though.

16 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Do you curtsy or bow when you encounter any of the hierarchy or staff at Ashton Gate 

I was upset when we appointed Dean, but the disappointment only lasted a short while as I have no decision in who the club appoints so can do nothing else but support. 

It’s all positive at the moment, and I’m looking back to the last time we started off the season in the championship on a positive. But we all know what happened when we started off well when Del was in charge. I’m hoping that when we lose and we will one day, that we don’t go on a slump. 

However we all went through a LJ out or LJ in gang warfare previously and was hoping we could avoid post like this and all get on with what we want and support the club. I think post like this will only serve a purpose to splinter the support. 

On 20/09/2020 at 16:41, bris red said:

Totally agree. It was always going to be the case though that these imbeciles would try and start the point scoring early on..

Everyone that wanted Hughton myself included wanted him for one reason and that was for the good of this football club. If and it is still a big if Holden and the current management team succeed in getting us into the top 6 (I genuinely feel anything else will be a failure of sorts - dress it up however you like but it will) then i will be the first to applaud the board for appointing them. All i and many others have ever wanted is the best for BCFC and not to point score against our own fans - its beyond pathetic.

Well said mate .

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, well 4 including the cup games, but OK 2 games... Which we've won both. 

What else would you like us to base our first impressions on...? 

Nothing wrong with discussing first impressions. I just cannot believe there are posts on here where people are taking swipes at people because “they have been proved wrong”

I’m simply saying we are a few games in and some people need to reign it in. With a lot of new managers comes the honeymoon period....can we save the petty swipes against over fans until at least 15-20 games in? 

Archived