IGNORED

Have we overtaken Stoke as a club?

Prinny

It's a question not a statement. It's not really based just on todays game, but generally.

Today we went to Stoke and won, IMO quite comfortably. We often compare ourselves to Brentford and Preston and enviously look at what they achieve on their budgets. If we got as much out of our money as them, we'd really be doing well. But sometimes we don't look at the clubs below when thinking that.

Stoke were a Premier League team for ten years. And he we are, I don't think I'm envious about a single part of their club as it stands.

Outside of history, is there much of anything you'd swap between the clubs?

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Stoke are not a bigger club than us. Very similar fanbase.

Don't think we have necessarily overtaken them either though but 3 wins in a row at their place is a great achievement.

Stoke definitely aren't a bigger club than Bristol City but do have more history and achieved have much more but that counts for nothing when a team is on a downward spiral 

Two similar size clubs - one on the up as an exciting team with motivated players and the other on the down with a bunch of overpaid disinterested journeymen.

We are looking good right across the pitch - will be interesting to see how long we can maintain the high energy press. 

I think I looked at Stokes team today and saw what I’d say were a lot of average or past their best players on likely big wages - your Vokes, Fletchers, Martins-Indi, Chester. And that’s without the wages being spent on Butland and Afobe, Woods etc.

I don’t think we’ve “overtaken” them. I do think that they are at a real pinch point with the last year of parachutes and the above squad. So, I think we’re better positioned than them moving forward - which is a slightly more nuanced side of the same question 

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

It's a question not a statement. It's not really based just on todays game, but generally.

Today we went to Stoke and won, IMO quite comfortably. We often compare ourselves to Brentford and Preston and enviously look at what they achieve on their budgets. If we got as much out of our money as them, we'd really be doing well. But sometimes we don't look at the clubs below when thinking that.

Stoke were a Premier League team for ten years. And he we are, I don't think I'm envious about a single part of their club as it stands.

Outside of history, is there much of anything you'd swap between the clubs?

In our PO Final year Leicester were relegated from Championship................

In answer to the question raised  the answer is yes but we did that last season in reality, I think their parachute payments run out this season so they could be in all sorts of trouble next year.

In terms of size then I would suggest we are similar although in terms of recent history we are behind them but not in a Leeds, Villa or Newcastle type manner.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Stoke are a far bigger club but currently not a better one.

How do we define bigger club?

Is it purely about recent success.. then does that make Bournemouth bigger?

I think fan base, catchment area etc is a big part. A good barometer is how many fans teams have taken to Wembley. That shows how many people ‘look out for their results’ at the very least in a local area. These are people you’d hope consistent success converts to fans who attend games regularly.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How do we define bigger club?

Is it purely about recent success.. then does that make Bournemouth bigger?

I think fan base, catchment area etc is a big part. A good barometer is how many fans teams have taken to Wembley. That shows how many people ‘look out for their results’ at the very least in a local area. These are people you’d hope consistent success converts to fans who attend games regularly.

Do you mean actual ones or made up totals that become truth if you say them often enough?

When it comes to debates about size of club, I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Bristol City are by far the biggest club never to play in the Premier League. There are the really big clubs - Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Manchester City etc. Then I believe City are towards the lower end of the next cluster which would include Stoke City.

As things stand, if you were setting up a two division 18 team Premiership as was talked about on and off for a few year, and it was selected on size of club, we'd miss out on the top 18 but would be an certain pick for the next 18.

Archived