IGNORED

Pato in today's game

Red7

Fantastic team performance today with pretty much everybody mucking in and coming out of the game with plenty of credit.

But I thought Pato was absent again today for long periods of the game and, as such, the weakest link in the team. That said, I admit I wasn't really watching what he did off the ball much.

How do others rate his performance today? Perhaps you saw something that I didn't. Genuine question. 

He was probably our quietest player today. 
When he’s played in this position before he’s often come deep to start the play, collected the ball off the defence, turned and tried to play. 
But with Bakinson doing that job superbly, Pato wasn’t needed to come so deep. Thus he looked a lot quieter.

Since he’s switched to midfield, most of his touches were in a deeper position. Today he wasn’t needed that far back and little of our play ended up going through him. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

He was probably our quietest player today. 
When he’s played in this position before he’s often come deep to start the play, collected the ball off the defence, turned and tried to play. 
But with Bakinson doing that job superbly, Pato wasn’t needed to come so deep. Thus he looked a lot quieter.

Since he’s switched to midfield, most of his touches were in a deeper position. Today he wasn’t needed that far back and little of our play ended up going through him. 

That's sort of what it felt like to me. Almost a waste of a player.

Absolutely one of his worst games. totally anonymous and his biggest contribution was getting booked. That's why he's at this level.

So when someone has been a major contributor to the teams success and play under you. Do you back him? Do you replace him for the next important game? Palmer played well. You have a bunch of central midfielders if you want to play Weimann there instead. Eliasson is another candidate.

Very interesting to see what Holden does here with a big competitive squad, a player who he's picked and who has generally performed for him, who had a bad game. What does he do?

I think what I would do is start him in the Villa game and back him, if he sucks again, and Palmer or whoever comes in and has a good game, then that person gets the shirt. I don't want to bin people after one bad game, but apart from the key contributions he wasn't great against Coventry either IMO, but you also have to pick the best team to win the next game.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

Very interesting to see what Holden does here with a big competitive squad, a player who he's picked and who has generally performed for him, who had a bad game. What does he do?

I think his recent goals bought him a bit of time. But even in the games he has scored in, he's been missing for most of the game as far as I can see. But maybe others see something that I don't. Or maybe the stats and analysis reveal something I've missed.

Quiet in impact today, but worked hard and pressed. 

Stoke aren't the type of team (physical) to let the likes of Paterson play their usual game. 

He had to adapt his game and was part of an excellent team performance, without grabbing any headlines himself, today. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He ran his socks off. But it definitely wasn't the game for him.

That's interesting to hear. Like I said, I wasn't really watching what he did when he didn't have the ball. Hoping that Holden and his team have the nouse to know when to play him and when not to.

I think it might be more that we associate Pato with the more flamboyant part of his game. I thought he was a much better team player tonight than Coventry, in that game HNM was left to try and hold the midfield solo. today both AW and Pato pressed and dropped back properly. He was less incisve and exciting in attack but today played better overall for me. 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Everyone has an off day occasionally.

He has been our stand out player since Holden took over but not great today.

What impressed me though was that it was Brunt not Palmer who replaced him, the perfect sub at that time.

I think he's done well with his goals, which can tend to gloss over the fact he does seem to go out of the game for long periods. Brunt definitely seemed like a good swap at the time. 

Issue with Bakinson in the role he is, and Weimann making more runs; Pato becomes an anomaly as his end product and passing isnt fantastic.

Would prefer Nagy in that role if we're playing Weimann/Bak alongside; as he at least offers better overall link-up play and is better defensively. Morrell would also work I think.

It does worry me with Pato that we have seen many "LJ-esque" streaks of form, he has done pretty well for us since he came back from Derby, and especially after the enforced break, carrying on good form into the early parts of this season. He does not normally just have 1 poor game and then bounce back, he tends to fade into the background, even though LJ often carried on picking him.  I accept that one of his bad sequences happened after he had an unfortunate illness.

However, the optimist in me says that the new regime, and good quality competition for places (Palmer/NE etc) may mean that he can't just coast through a period of poor form.  Also, as already stated, this may not have been the game for him, just hope that it is a one-off. It says a lot for the rest of the team that he seemed a bit quiet.

What I would say is the booking was a fantastic tactical foul. The break was on and making that challenge showed real awareness and a great bit of game management - which I think we’d all acknowledge we’ve not been great at.

Definitely his quietest game of the season. However, with a goal a game prior, that was bound to come. 

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He ran his socks off. But it definitely wasn't the game for him. But then there won't be many tests like today. Very different tests I'm sure that will suit Pato.

It is interesting though that with the compensation, will he keep his place next week.

I agree with you, I thought he worked hard today, covering in the right wing back area and so on. Gilmartin said that Holden feels that we are playing with “Two number 8’s rather than two number 10’s” because they are expected to defend as well. That was his biggest contribution today. 

17 minutes ago, Red7 said:

I think his recent goals bought him a bit of time. But even in the games he has scored in, he's been missing for most of the game as far as I can see. But maybe others see something that I don't. Or maybe the stats and analysis reveal something I've missed.

It literally is the stats since he's been back.  The amount of sheer goals and assists he's had playing in that position is really really high.

When he came back he had 6 goals and 2 assists IIRC from 21 games so over a 46 game season that's 13 and 5 averaging out.

He's on one goal and one assist so far in the championship already.

Obviously I don't think that he's going to end up with 23 goals and assists... but his actual raw production is worth keeping in the team if he's working hard and not being a liability going the other way.

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

What I would say is the booking was a fantastic tactical foul. The break was on and making that challenge showed real awareness and a great bit of game management - which I think we’d all acknowledge we’ve not been great at.

But the reason he had to get booked was because of the way he was positioned. He ran up, stood still and had the ball knocked by him. SO good decision to foul, but awful positioning and defending that led to it. Unless I'm misremembering.

53 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Absolutely one of his worst games. totally anonymous and his biggest contribution was getting booked. That's why he's at this level.

So when someone has been a major contributor to the teams success and play under you. Do you back him? Do you replace him for the next important game? Palmer played well. You have a bunch of central midfielders if you want to play Weimann there instead. Eliasson is another candidate.

I think what I would do is start him in the Villa game and back him, if he sucks again, and Palmer or whoever comes in and has a good game, then that person gets the shirt. I don't want to bin people after one bad game, but apart from the key contributions he wasn't great against Coventry either IMO, but you also have to pick the best team to win the next game.

If Palmer has another good game versus villa then Pato’s place must be under threat for the game next Sunday 

DH and the assistants must be looking at performance stats and be considering a change and shouldn’t have any loyalty to players if they fall below standards 

15 minutes ago, INCRED said:

If Palmer has another good game versus villa then Pato’s place must be under threat for the game next Sunday 

DH and the assistants must be looking at performance stats and be considering a change and shouldn’t have any loyalty to players if they fall below standards 

Yeh....big gamble starting Palmer in the big games...but if he can add pressing and tackling to to his undoubted skill set he would be first on the team sheet.  So tempting to start him. 

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He’s certainly had more than one great game in his last ten appearances...

Oh, I agree. But my assessment is based on three-and-a-half years of performances and, IMO, is pretty fair. World beater against Man City, stroller against Rotherham. We have better options in that position.

Archived