IGNORED

Bakinson - Bakeinson or Backinson

Dollymarie

30 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

We just won 2.0 away, top of the league,well 2nd, would have thought there were more pressing issues, that's all. I know its a woman thing, but you know what they are like on here, the debate could go on for ever, and still get it wrong, you have created a monster!

I dont see this as a male or female thing.

It's just pointless on the back of a great away win.

Who cares what we call him! It's not exactly a pressing topic 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Paterson and Bakinson are a bit counterintuitive because they break the rule of vowel either side later or baking.

English is a weird language though so whatevs.

Yep. My daughter has been learning this at school recently - quite educational doing the home learning!! 
It’s called a Split Digraph. 
They use phonics these days, so teach kids that the vowels would generally be pronounced phonically : a as is apple, e as in egg, I as in igloo, o as in off, u as in under. 
Where there is a vowel, followed by a consonant and then another vowel, this is called a Split Digraph. 
So the word ‘Bake’, they call the ‘e’ the magic e. It makes the ‘a’ say it’s name rather than it’s sound. So instead of the A being the sound as in Apple, it’s the name A as in ABC, and thus sounded as in ‘acre’ or ‘age’. 

So technically, the A in Bakinson has a split digraph I, the magic I should make the A say it’s name not it’s phonic sound. So it should be Bake-inson. 

But I guess the lad knows his own name, so it goes against the rules of split digraphs. 

There you go. Home schooling rocks!! 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. My daughter has been learning this at school recently - quite educational doing the home learning!! 
It’s called a Split Digraph. 
They use phonics these days, so teach kids that the vowels would generally be pronounced phonically : a as is apple, e as in egg, I as in igloo, o as in off, u as in under. 
Where there is a vowel, followed by a consonant and then another vowel, this is called a Split Digraph. 
So the word ‘Bake’, they call the ‘e’ the magic e. It makes the ‘a’ say it’s name rather than it’s sound. So instead of the A being the sound as in Apple, it’s the name A as in ABC, and thus sounded as in ‘acre’ or ‘age’. 

So technically, the A in Bakinson has a split digraph I, the magic I should make the A say it’s name not it’s phonic sound. So it should be Bake-inson. 

But I guess the lad knows his own name, so it goes against the rules of split digraphs. 

There you go. Home schooling rocks!! 

Cheers mate, I like that. I'm wondering now why catastrophe or maternal don't abide by the split digraph... 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Cheers mate, I like that. I'm wondering now why catastrophe or maternal don't abide by the split digraph... 

@Harry has a really good explanation, but I believe split digraphs are vowel-consonant-e, so catastrophe doesn't count. They also don't count if they cross a syllable boundary, such as in maternal (mat-er-nal).

My partner is a primary school teacher...!

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

It sure is strange. 
Those words aren’t on the Year 1 Curriculum. I’ll come back to you with an answer in about 11 years ?

24 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

@Harry has a really good explanation, but I believe split digraphs are vowel-consonant-e, so catastrophe doesn't count. They also don't count if they cross a syllable boundary, such as in maternal (mat-er-nal).

My partner is a primary school teacher...!

Boom! Nick you just slam dunked it.

They don't cross a syllable boundary - it was staring me in the face! 

My ambition now is to find the word that breaks both those rules...

3 hours ago, Matthew me said:

I dont see this as a male or female thing.

It's just pointless on the back of a great away win.

Who cares what we call him! It's not exactly a pressing topic 

I couldn't disagree more, we are Bristol City fans and Bakinson is an outstanding prospect, we should all pronounce his name correctly. I thought it was Bakeinson, but I will quickly get used to Backinson.

5 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I couldn't disagree more, we are Bristol City fans and Bakinson is an outstanding prospect, we should all pronounce his name correctly. I thought it was Bakeinson, but I will quickly get used to Backinson.

Of course we should. But I wasn't going to lose sleep over it or start a discussion based on it. Fairly sure we'd have found out via the club in an interview

I guess it's a good thing that all we have to worry about is how to say a player's name 

Normally our issues extend well beyond this 

45 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Of course we should. But I wasn't going to lose sleep over it or start a discussion based on it. Fairly sure we'd have found out via the club in an interview

I guess it's a good thing that all we have to worry about is how to say a player's name 

Normally our issues extend well beyond this 

There  is no absolute right way of pronouncing a family name, because it is unique to that family. Many see Bucket as just that, the title owner may prefer 'Bouquet'. But in true OTIB tradition certain distractions to  the main event become the main topic, as this little episode proves. 

BACKINSON is a headline writers gift..'BACKOFTHENETSON' is Sun journo dream,

Any more? Lets get it all out so we can all get on with our lives.

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it generally is... Although currently in the middle of teaching a 6 year old to read, there are inexplicable anomalies with most rules of pronunciation..! 

Try this one with them  then;

If GH can stand for P as in Hiccough
If OUGH stands for O as in Dough
If PHTH stands for T as in Phthisis
If EIGH stands for A as in Neighbour
If TTE stands for T as in Gazette
If EAU stands for O as in Plateau

The right way to spell POTATO should be: GHOUGHPHTHEIGHTTEEAU.

11 hours ago, mozo said:

One of the guys on OSIB pronounces Weimann with an English W instead of the German V sound, which is equivalent to calling Thierry Henry Terry Henry ?

Americans do this a lot.

Worst thing is they're brought up with not knowing any better so even when they themselves have a name where a W should be a V, they pronounce their own name wrong!

6 minutes ago, TBW said:

Americans do this a lot.

Worst thing is they're brought up with not knowing any better so even when they themselves have a name where a W should be a V, they pronounce their own name wrong!

Yeah. For example, they pronounce Weinstein wine-steen, when in German it would be vine-stine. I pronounce it scum-bag, by the way...

3 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:
Try this one with them  then;

If GH can stand for P as in Hiccough
If OUGH stands for O as in Dough
If PHTH stands for T as in Phthisis
If EIGH stands for A as in Neighbour
If TTE stands for T as in Gazette
If EAU stands for O as in Plateau

The right way to spell POTATO should be: GHOUGHPHTHEIGHTTEEAU.

So what would,supercalifragilisticexpialidocious be,and yes I had to look it up.

Archived