Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bakinson - Bakeinson or Backinson

3 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Minor thing, but I always thought Bakinson was pronounced “Bakeinson,” but the commentators today kept saying “Backinson.”

Does anyone know for definite how it’s said?

He's probably in your wardrobe so why not ask him ?

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Minor thing, but I always thought Bakinson was pronounced “Bakeinson,” but the commentators today kept saying “Backinson.”

Well it's not got the "e" after the k. So it explains itself really and is clear as the commentators pronounce it, as Back-in-son. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Your answer is right, but I’m not sure your logic is!

I think it generally is... Although currently in the middle of teaching a 6 year old to read, there are inexplicable anomalies with most rules of pronunciation..! 

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

It’s pronounced Getintheremeson 💪

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well it's not got the "e" after the k. So it explains itself really and is clear as the commentators pronounce it, as Back-in-son. 

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it generally is... Although currently in the middle of teaching a 6 year old to read, there are inexplicable anomalies with most rules of pronunciation..! 

The logic definitely doesn't follow.

Baking is pronounced how it is, but doesn't have the "e" after the k.

Normally you'd be looking for a double consonant for the hard a sound in "back", and just one consonant would suggest the longer sound of "bake".

But most from the club are using the "Back-inson" pronunciation, so I'm taking that as the proper way.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Doesn't have a C in it for Backinson either...

44 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Does it matter? I'm guessing none of us will be having a chat with him any time soon

45 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

But..... For what it's worth, id go with the commentators today 

34 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I did say it was a minor thing, you don’t have to click on the thread :) 

We just won 2.0 away, top of the league,well 2nd, would have thought there were more pressing issues, that's all. I know its a woman thing, but you know what they are like on here, the debate could go on for ever, and still get it wrong, you have created a monster!

• Confused 1

Paterson and Bakinson are a bit counterintuitive because they break the rule of vowel either side later or baking.

English is a weird language though so whatevs.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2