IGNORED

Zero shots on target

Mr Popodopolous

Not a throwback to LJ's worst days- no, more like zero allowed/conceded.

That has to be quite rare for us at this level- a good job done by all, I can't be bothered to search through game after game but when did we last concede/allow zero shots on target in the League- obviously I mean this League and especially away from home.

It could be said that Stoke were toothless up front and Bakinson and Weimann ran the midfield without much serious opposition. That said you can only beat what’s in front of you.

If Stoke perform as they did today for a few more  matches they’ll be in deep shit before long.

We contained them in the first half with about 70% possession. By the end it was 50/50 so they must have had the second half by a similar ratio.  They never looked dangerous though and we had a couple of good chances as well as the ones we took. We played very nice football in the first 45, but they did attempt to come at us a bit more in the second.

Overall, very happy with 6 points out of 6 and joint top of the league.

How are the Gas doing by the way?

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We contained them in the first half with about 70% possession. By the end it was 50/50 so they must have had the second half by a similar ratio.  They never looked dangerous though and we had a couple of good chances as well as the ones we took. We played very nice football in the first 45, but they did attempt to come at us a bit more in the second.

Overall, very happy with 6 points out of 6 and joint top of the league.

Good point that- showed we could do it both ways. They came out a bit more, we controlled space/maybe territory 2nd half, 60-70% of the ball in the first.

Never felt we were in any great danger- of course we could have controlled the ball a bit more than we did second half, but that's minor in the grand scheme- 6/6, joint top and a few key players and some first reserves to come back from injury.

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

It wasn't that long ago that a few on here were fancying Stoke as play off contenders. Very comprehensive win today -  a bit too early to be getting carried away but the signs are encouraging. Can't wait to get back for live games though,,,

I think O’Neill has done an excellent job there, as under several of his predecessors they were top four budget & bottom six performers.

However despite spending fortunes on strikers like Vokes, Afobe & big wages on Fletcher & Gregory they do still look pretty punchless & will need to remedy that to challenge for the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not a throwback to LJ's worst days- no, more like zero allowed/conceded.

That has to be quite rare for us at this level- a good job done by all, I can't be bothered to search through game after game but when did we last concede/allow zero shots on target in the League- obviously I mean this League and especially away from home.

Funny, I had a read through their forum and it read so much like the LJ days it gave me palpitations!

Indeed quite a feat - and this is weird, I think the answer is Sheffield Wednesday in the 17-18 Season, a 0-0 draw. Something we repeated in the home game which we won 4-0. We also managed to stop Burton having a shot on target at Ashton Gate, we haven't managed it home or away since Sheffield Wednesday at home in March of that season.

source:football-data.co.uk.

It shows a really good defensive performance by the team - what will be intriguing about watching a Holden side is that they aren't going to be built around winning the numbers games like Johnson's sides were.

I expect the offensive stats of the opposition to say more about our defensive performance than they did under Johnson, but offensively it might be less important as we're less likely to go for marginal gains (like tactical fouls, only shooting when the xG is high etc).

LJ would try and limit teams to pot shots and crosses because they're less likely to score from them, on average - Holden seems to be the type of coach that expects his team to be able to deal with all different types of challenge. Hopefully Holden's approach proves to be more sustainable with this group of players!

The midfield points, it depends how we look at it.

Dominated the ball first half, 60-65% and then the reverse in the 2nd. Possession finished around 50/50, give or take.

Today was much better, Coventry however- we had midfield issues and conceded a lot of chances.

There's something for opposition to exploit there, potentially. I dare say Holden would have wanted a bit more possession second half.

Didn't manage this once last season. Last season we allowed an average of 4.59 shots on target. 

Still only took 10 shots of our own today, not really up there with an average top 6 side. I think there is some room for improvement in terms of testing keepers and taking chances. Don't get me wrong, we were dominant today, but whether it indicates long term success...I'm not certain. Coventry had 4 on target let's not forget. Let's see what the stats are after ten league games.

But enjoy today of course.

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Didn't manage this once last season. Last season we allowed an average of 4.59 shots on target. 

Still only took 10 shots of our own today, not really up there with an average top 6 side. I think there is some room for improvement in terms of testing keepers and taking chances. Don't get me wrong, we were dominant today, but whether it indicates long term success...I'm not certain. Coventry had 4 on target let's not forget. Let's see what the stats are after ten league games.

But enjoy today of course.

Agreed, but I believe last season we were top in the division for the number of chances converted.

But near the bottom for number of chances conceded.

Archived