IGNORED

Width?

Top Robin

So today we played with no attacking width really and with two more safe and defensive wing backs in Rowe and Hunt. 

Dasilva, Eliasson and Sessegnon may well add an attacking option down the flanks but possibly at the cost of a more secure defensive unit.

I'm not too bothered about attacking wing backs although they do make for exciting football, and would be happier to win without them if it makes us more solid.

A difficult one for Dean to sort probably.

1 minute ago, RedEyez said:

Wouldn’t call Hunt a defensive wing back at all. 

Indeed. And Hunt certainly attacked and was a wide influence.

Not sure what the OP is on about tbf.

Rowe did a good job and offered width also. Perhaps he didn't get forward as much as Hunt though.

We could play through the middle so much as Bakinson bossed it.

9 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Rowe did a good job and offered width also. Perhaps he didn't get forward as much as Hunt though.

Yeah innit, me neither.

We actually have the players to outplay teams through the middle of the pitch now and not have to constantly rely on passing it out wide to Eliasson /Hunt / Dasilva to whip crosses in. 

We used to be so one dimensional, but judging by today, not anymore. I’m really excited by the start we have made but like DH said, it is only a start.

Thought we mixed it up all game today and looked dangerous in all areas of the pitch, especially though the middle , as well as out wide. So refreshing to see. 

1 minute ago, RedEyez said:

Yeah innit, me neither.

We actually have the players to outplay teams through the middle of the pitch now and not have to constantly rely on passing it out wide to Eliasson /Hunt / Dasilva to whip crosses in. 

We used to be so one dimensional, but judging by today, not anymore. I’m really excited by the start we have made but like DH said, it is only a start.

Thought we mixed it up all game today and looked dangerous in all areas of the pitch, especially though the middle , as well as out wide. So refreshing to see. 

Exactly, it was the mix. Not one dimensional and overly reliant on a single player. Also a strong bench and some good players not even managing to make the 18 squad.

13 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Let me explain....Hunt and Rowe are not really attacking wing backs in the style of Elliason and Dasilva. Don't think I've ever seen them run at defenders. 

Not moaning, happy to keep it solid. 

6 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Let me explain....Hunt and Rowe are not really attacking wing backs in the style of Elliason and Dasilva. Don't think I've ever seen them run at defenders. 

Not moaning, happy to keep it solid. 

You've never seen Hunt run at defenders..?! 

Hunt is a useful outlet from RWB- started last season well and got 2 assists albeit vs Exeter.

DaSilva we know can do it- Rowe is more conservative as he's a different type of player but that's fine.

Eliasson I don't think is convertible really- as Sessegnon gets up to speed and integrated into the shape he will push Hunt which is good, strong competition for places usually is and may surpass him- if it's the latter then we will have a greater, more constant threat from RWB, if it's the former it means Hunt may have stepped up a bit in terms of end product- win, win really.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hunt is a useful outlet from RWB- started last season well and got 2 assists albeit vs Exeter.

DaSilva we know can do it- Rowe is more conservative as he's a different type of player but that's fine.

Eliasson I don't think is convertible really- as Sessegnon gets up to speed and integrated into the shape he will push Hunt which is good, strong competition for places usually is and may surpass him- if it's the latter then we will have a greater, more constant threat from RWB, if it's the former it means Hunt may have stepped up a bit in terms of end product- win, win really.

Good points.

I’d just add to that what an excellent squad man Tommy Rowe is, when we signed him & Jay Dasilva in the same summer no way did we ever think 48 league games later that Rowe would have played LB/LWB more often than Dasilva would.

Never lets us down & someone who has earned every pound of his wages.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Good points.

I’d just add to that what an excellent squad man Tommy Rowe is, when we signed him & Jay Dasilva in the same summer no way did we ever think 48 league games later that Rowe would have played LB/LWB more often than Dasilva would.

Never lets us down & someone who has earned every pound of his wages.

Yeah Rowe has done himself and us proud.

No doubt he was seen as a rotation option. Bit of LB, bit of CM- 48 games though! Wow didn't realise that, filled in 2 or 3 positions. 

LWB definitely isn't his main one and he's done more than, certainly played more than expected when signed- decent contributions too.

Perhaps having Martin up front is the difference and now we actually have a focal point in our attack who can be relied on to receive and keep the ball as opposed to Fam which isn't the strongest part of his game

This allows our midfield and defensive players to play into Martin with confidence around the 18yd box as opposed to over reliance on wide players to constantly put crosses in and hope someone gets on the end of one

4 hours ago, INCRED said:

Perhaps having Martin up front is the difference and now we actually have a focal point in our attack who can be relied on to receive and keep the ball as opposed to Fam which isn't the strongest part of his game

This allows our midfield and defensive players to play into Martin with confidence around the 18yd box as opposed to over reliance on wide players to constantly put crosses in and hope someone gets on the end of one

Yep, it allows the team to function better.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah Rowe has done himself and us proud.

No doubt he was seen as a rotation option. Bit of LB, bit of CM- 48 games though! Wow didn't realise that, filled in 2 or 3 positions. 

LWB definitely isn't his main one and he's done more than, certainly played more than expected when signed- decent contributions too.

I think he meant that its 48 League games since Rowe signed, and DaSilva permanantly, and in those 48 Rowe has appeared more often. Not that Rowe has played 48 games. @Mr Popodopolous

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gilmartin identified on comms that Stoke were moving extra numbers to defend their left when Hunt got the ball on our right wing because they clearly saw him as a key attacking threat, presumably because of his crossing, which to be fair is top class.

5 hours ago, INCRED said:

With a new coaching set up and additions to the squad City now have the ability to create goals in any fashion.

Strong and creative midfielders, attacking wing backs with powerful defenders - useful in set plays at both ends. Width is not always necessary but is there as an option if the match situation determines it. 

Fact is City have a pretty good squad right now and so far :fingerscrossed: Deano, Simmo and the other assistant have been utilising the resources pretty well.

I think what we did really well yesterday was play in a way that allowed us to play whilst nullifying the opposition.  The wing backs were part of that. They did not get forward as much as they might in other games because we were trying (and succeeding) to control and contain a Stoke side with the ability to hurt us with balls into the box.

I don’t think that means our wing backs are going to be defensive all season - just that we are adjusting to work against the opponents. 

15 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

How could you possibly forget "Downo" :facepalm:

Hmm......I like that...........:cool2:

Point is tho that DH is commonly known as Deano and Simpson as Simmo, bit like schoolboy nicknames. All my days my nickname has been Robbo.

My dad was always called Rob even by my mum but his first name was George.

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Point is tho that DH is commonly known as Deano and Simpson as Simmo, bit like schoolboy nicknames. All my days my nickname has been Robbo.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He prefers to go by the name “Keefo”, so as not to get confused with Downsy.

No doubt this kind of important contractual detail is what was holding up the managerial appointment!

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I suppose Georgo sounded too foreign. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

With a new coaching set up and additions to the squad City now have the ability to create goals in any fashion.

Strong and creative midfielders, attacking wing backs with powerful defenders - useful in set plays at both ends. Width is not always necessary but is there as an option if the match situation determines it. 

Fact is City have a pretty good squad right now and so far :fingerscrossed: Deano, Simmo and the other assistant have been utilising the resources pretty well.

Other assistant must be Downo then? Or Keefo?

Archived