IGNORED

DH - “We try to focus on how we want to play and not focus on the opponents”

Sturny

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

All 3 relegated, Brentford, Forest, Derby.

With our additions in the last year, I would suggest we have a better squad than Forest and probably Derby. A starting attack including Nahki Wells, Chris Martin and Andi Weimann is pretty strong and very experienced, while we have more midfielders of quality than we know what to do with, a defence including Kalas and Mawson, plus a confident in-form Bentley is as good as any keeper in this league.

There is a tendency even amongst our own supporters to think of ourselves as the poor West Country cousins, but the reality is that MA has provided DH with a really strong squad, who should be capable of giving any team in the league a good game. The question is whether the coaching team can turn potential into reality in terms of results. So far it looks very promising.

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

All 3 relegated, Brentford, Forest, Derby.

Norwich and Watford definitely although Watford may end up struggling to adapt IMO. Bournemouth and Brentford have sold players and the latter will continue to do so I.e. Raya and Ben rahman so I would question those two. Forest and Derby do not have a better squad than us

What I really like about how we are playing now is even I, no footballing expert can see defined roles and players doing a certain job. I can see TB shielding, sweeping and driving forward. I can see Chris Martin holding it up and bringing others into play and everything else we are trying to achieve is laid out and because of that although we may not score every time, you feel we have a plan to do so.

It does start to hammer home that I think LJ really did go so far down the rabbit hole of ‘new football’ and analysis that he got abit lost, I haven’t known what our players were really trying to do for some time

49 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

What I really like about how we are playing now is even I, no footballing expert can see defined roles and players doing a certain job. I can see TB shielding, sweeping and driving forward. I can see Chris Martin holding it up and bringing others into play and everything else we are trying to achieve is laid out and because of that although we may not score every time, you feel we have a plan to do so.

It does start to hammer home that I think LJ really did go so far down the rabbit hole of ‘new football’ and analysis that he got abit lost, I haven’t known what our players were really trying to do for some time

Nor, I suspect, did the players a fair bit of the time.

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Norwich and Watford definitely although Watford may end up struggling to adapt IMO. Bournemouth and Brentford have sold players and the latter will continue to do so I.e. Raya and Ben rahman so I would question those two. Forest and Derby do not have a better squad than us

To be fair, the squad is obviously overloaded in midfield, and we are down to 3 fit centre backs and we play with 3 centre backs. If we can guarantee baker and kalas along with mawson will be available for selection for every game then fine, but as it stands, we better hope that nothing happens to mawson.

13 hours ago, 2015 said:

And that is what I want to hear from our Manager and how it should be.

This weekend has seen 39 prem goals across the matches so far. What I have taken from it is that more teams are much more focused on what they can do to win games, and those focused on stopping the opponents have been the ones who have lost majority of the matches.

We are a good team, if we impose our way of playing and confidence in a game we will win more matches than we will lose. Johnson was holding us back by his over complicating

Yep. I think we can give the Germans some credit for that. They brought the ‘on the front-foot’, positive, attacking football back into vogue. 

Surprised at LJ , who promoted himself as a young manager willing to embrace new ideas, but was stuck in a hybrid Barcelona-English playing style rut. Fine, if you have the best players in the division to play tippy-tippy football with some outstanding players to finish things off. We have the likes of Fammy, Andi, Pato and  CoD. Maybe triers, but all no more than average Championship performers. 

Praise be to Deano and the other coaches for embracing the new style and creating a team who, seemingly, can deliver it. 

16 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’d like to think it goes a little deeper than that, rather than just some kind of shallow attempt to win over a few perennial moaners on OTIB.  The next thing we’ll hear is those ‘fans’ who threatened to tear up their season tickets and never darken Ashton Gate again claiming credit for forcing Dean to adopt a match-winning strategy.

I wasn’t suggesting it was empty gestures or lip service , but I’m also not naive enough to think that he’d be clueless as to what’s been driving the fans bonkers for years! 

17 hours ago, 054123 said:

Which, for me, would beg serious questions about the relationship for the previous four years.

Sometimes you can learn more by watching someone else get things wrong than by watching someone do things right.

In my last job, I took over running a department from a fella who - though admirable in many ways - made lots of mistakes which I , as his deputy, observed.  Attempts to change things were brushed away.

When I took over, I knew where to copy my predecessor - and when to make things very different from him.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Sometimes you can learn more by watching someone else get things wrong than by watching someone do things right.

In my last job, I took over running a department from a fella who - though admirable in many ways - made lots of mistakes which I , as his deputy, observed.  Attempts to change things were brushed away.

When I took over, I knew where to copy my predecessor - and when to make things very different from him.

It’s a great point.

4 years though 

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Yep. I think we can give the Germans some credit for that. They brought the ‘on the front-foot’, positive, attacking football back into vogue. 

Surprised at LJ , who promoted himself as a young manager willing to embrace new ideas, but was stuck in a hybrid Barcelona-English playing style rut. Fine, if you have the best players in the division to play tippy-tippy football with some outstanding players to finish things off. We have the likes of Fammy, Andi, Pato and  CoD. Maybe triers, but all no more than average Championship performers. 

Praise be to Deano and the other coaches for embracing the new style and creating a team who, seemingly, can deliver it. 

It's an interesting one- hybrid Barcelona-English playing style is an interesting description too.

Possibly LJ was caught between two stools. Leeds had some semblance of the possession dominance- in fact all round dominance. So did Brentford- Swansea under Potter had it in some respects, but less so in others.

If he actually wanted the tiki-taka type play then and obviously we're talking Championship as opposed to elite levels, but anyway he had to go all-in, so getting Williams- yes I know he was great at Swansea but in recent years he has not been the quickest and Centre backs aged 35 upwards don't seem great for a high line- another key component of that Spanish style.

Then Baker- good CB when fit and has a lot of strengths, but again doesn't really strike me as so appropriate for a ball-carrying, high line- and the tiki-taka or similar isn't just about passing but pressing too. 

Up front, Diedhiou certainly isn't, Weimann maybe in some circs- leading the press for example, Paterson can be very technical and tbh has improved out of possession this season- Holden has gone all in on his style and credit to him.

German football, is interesting. Think they mix possession and pressing, though certainly quite a lot of the latter. Bayern are capable of dominating ball and game though and generally will, quite often Borussia Dortmund can but don't think they're possession first- Leipzig capable of having a fair amount of the ball, they're probably the 3 best sides in Germany- in fact almost certainly are. It's a League with good technical standards though, even if not a possession obsession.

It's all in the past now but I'd have been interested to see a back 3 of Moore-Kalas-Benkovic- 3 comfortable in possession- obviously Moore and Benkovic more expansive, but all seem the the right age and IMO have the right characteristics for the higher line.

LJ's approach last season, seemed I thought neither one thing nor the other in some ways. If he wanted this Spanish style then we lacked the possession numbers necessary, did we press high enough to win the ball back? Not often enough. However you can control the game without possession but this faded over time, plus the possession can bring a certain stability- I'd argue this also faded over time. Even so, shot dominance eschewing the ball can work- problem is over time this disappeared too! We saw it for a few weeks or in individual games but it's alright to not tick some of the boxes the team might still function quite well, but in this respect we ticked none!

Lack of a genuine CM 3 possibly didn't help either, though Paterson is this season showing signs that he might prove a different proposition out of possession.

EDIT: Just had a very quick look. Vs Coventry Paterson made 1 Clearance, 2 Interceptions, 2 Tackles and was only dribbled past once. That is encouraging for how he can step up when we have issues in midfield.

On 20/09/2020 at 20:28, Sturny said:

Haven’t seen this shared yet so thought why not. Sorry if I didn’t get the quote exactly right but it was along those lines but this is exactly what I wanted to hear from the next manager after LJ. He’s ticking so many boxes! I always felt we focused on the oppositions tactics rather than perfecting our own. So far couldn’t be more pleased ?

This was exactly my criticism before LJ left.

It was a case if tinkering to play against, rather than setting up to our strengths and letting the opposition worry.

We had a strong season and a strong EFL cup when we had an identity, the moment we lost that, we lost our entertainment factor and became flat.

Archived