IGNORED

Team for Villa

Dolman_Stand

Think we will see plenty of changes again to keep players involved and fresh other than the back three where unless we bring in a loan signing I expect it to be unchanged:

O'Leary

Vyner                 Mawson          Moore

Sessegnon                          Brunt                          Eliasson

Palmer                   Nagy

Diedhiou              Semenyo

Bentley

Hunt

Rowe

Massengo

Paterson

Wells

Martin

Subs could change if any of the injured playersa re available again i.e. O'Dowda, Morrell, Walsh or Williams

For me 8 Changes;

.......................O'Leary

...........Vyner  Moore  Mawson

Sessegnon  Nagy  Massengo  Eliasson

......................Palmer

...........Semenyo  Diedhiou

Not sure if Morrell is available - maybe 20 minutes later on ?

Still a very good team.

5 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Think we will see plenty of changes again to keep players involved and fresh other than the back three where unless we bring in a loan signing I expect it to be unchanged:

O'Leary

Vyner                 Mawson          Moore

Sessegnon                          Brunt                          Eliasson

Palmer                   Nagy

Diedhiou              Semenyo

Bentley

Hunt

Rowe

Massengo

Paterson

Wells

Martin

Subs could change if any of the injured playersa re available again i.e. O'Dowda, Morrell, Walsh or Williams

This looks pretty much spot on to me, like a midweek team. Maybe find a way to rest a defender (Can Brunt play there?) and bring Massengo in

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

This looks pretty much spot on to me, like a midweek team. Maybe find a way to rest a defender (Can Brunt play there?) and bring Massengo in

Possibly I was thinking that potentially we may see Bakinson at centre-back over the next couple of weeks to allow a bit of rotation between the centre-backs with Massengo and Brunt sharing the holding role too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mawson is rested against Villa.  Leaves us short at the back and wonder if Bakinson or Rowe would be tried.  My team would be as follows : -

O'Leary

Vyner  Moore  Bakinson/Rowe

Sessegnon      Massengo         Eliasson

Nagy         Palmer

Semenyo  Diedhiou

Really difficult in a good way for DH to pick a team for this game.

But key for me is that Palmer starts. Why, confidence he's wanted, and confidence for him.

Start him and say KP get out there and shine son.

If after say 45/60 he's not doing the business get him off, but after Northampton (yes I know) don't put him back in the cupboard without an explanation. Any player who scores 2 goals, comes off buzzing, doesn't get any game time the next game, then gets dropped again, if that was me I'd be well pissed off.

1 hour ago, MSN Red said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Mawson is rested against Villa.  Leaves us short at the back and wonder if Bakinson or Rowe would be tried.  My team would be as follows : -

O'Leary

Nagy         Palmer

Semenyo  Diedhiou

I had a similar line up in my head to this too although just hope Eliasson isn't sold or close to moving so refuses to play! 

20 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Don't risk Mawson. 

Bring Aden Baldwin in. 

I agree that resting Mawson would be preferable but we will need an experienced leader in the side for this one and without Kalas or Baker I don't think we can afford to give him the night off against Villa, if we get past them we would be favourites against the winner of Stoke / Gillingham at home and before we know it we are in the Quarter Finals again!

Just playing devil's advocate here...

Are we wrongly assuming that the League Cup is a lower priority and therefore players will be rested?

Let's not forget 3 things:

1. Beating Villa leaves City a home game v probably Stoke, to qualify for a quarter final. That's a big deal for us and a chance for Holden to get big kudos.

2. A winning streak can't be taken for granted. Would we want to lose momentum and that winning feeling by messing about with the line up?

3. We only have 2 league games until an international break, so is resting players necessary?

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Would expect Vyner, Moore & Mawson to start but everyone else who started yesterday to be rested.

So O’Leary, Sessegnon, Eliasson, Nagy, HNM, Palmer, Famara & Semenyo to come in.

Agree with keeping the back three together, games will help with understanding especially as a new back three. Two league games until international break.

Would play Brunt, Nagy & Palmer in three midfield 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Are we wrongly assuming that the League Cup is a lower priority and therefore players will be rested?

1. Beating Villa leaves City a home game v probably Stoke, to qualify for a quarter final. That's a big deal for us and a chance for Holden to get big kudos.

2. A winning streak can't be taken for granted. Would we want to lose momentum and that winning feeling by messing about with the line up?

3. We only have 2 league games until an international break, so is resting players necessary?

I'm not sure it is necessarily a case of priority or resting. I think, in the case of a lot of players - specifically Sessegnon, Eliasson, Brunt, Palmer and Nagy plus the midfielders who are yet to feature - there is still a genuine question as to whether they deserve to be first choice (or at least first choice in Dasilva's absence, in Eliasson's case). I don't think we significantly weaken by playing those players and I think the rotation keeps them interested and motivated, and gives them a chance to press their case to be included in league games.

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think it’s less a case of resting players, but more about getting minutes into players legs, and just as important keeping the “first team” tight-knit.  I suspect Holden’s integrity will come into play too, e.g. Whether he has given players a steer that non-involvement yesterday was because they will start on Thursday.

Little things like Nagy and Massengo travelling yesterday, harnesses a good team spirit.

I seem to recall Hörður Magnússon sending a glum tweet when he was left out of the 18 for an away game...might’ve been his birthday too.

Holden is showing signs of good man-management.

Other things like Pat Mountain being given responsibility for defensive set plays.  Makes sense for a GK (coach) to set the strategy.  GK’s need to know what they want their defence to do.  Hope they’ve revisited last season v Wednesday where we got caught out twice.

I’d like to see.....

O’Leary

Vyner       Moore        Mawson

Brunt
Sess     Nagy            Palmer     Eliasson

Fam         Semenyo

Strong team considering that’s 8 changes from the weekend...

39 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’d like to see.....

O’Leary

Vyner       Moore        Mawson

Brunt
Sess     Nagy            Palmer     Eliasson

Fam         Semenyo

Strong team considering that’s 8 changes from the weekend...

I think this is pretty close to the line up that will start against Villa but I expect him to retain young Bakinson at DM and Martin to start up top if his recovery from Sunday is good. 

We can expect a strong Villa line up, as evidenced from their side against Burton, as they may think this is a competition they could win. 

14 hours ago, MSN Red said:

O'Leary

Nagy         Palmer

Semenyo  Diedhiou

No no....the last thing we want is Bakinson playing in an unusual position and if he has a mare it could seriously mess up his confidence.

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I think this is pretty close to the line up that will start against Villa but I expect him to retain young Bakinson at DM and Martin to start up top if his recovery from Sunday is good. 

We can expect a strong Villa line up, as evidenced from their side against Burton, as they may think this is a competition they could win. 

Yep already confirmed I think that their new signing Bertrand Traore will start, to get minutes in his legs in a new side. Let's give him a warm welcome to English football... Basically Chris Brunt putting him into the Dolman stand straight from kick off. 

10 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I’m not so sure.  They didn’t have a league game last weekend, so Burton was their first game, hence a team including Mings, Grealish and Watkins.  It will still be strong, but I don’t think it will contain as many of the “names” this time.  Of course I could be talking carp! ?

Archived