IGNORED

Niki Mäenpää (Merged)

glastonred

JoJo only got half a season at FGR, came back to us for second half of the season.  At FGR, Got in, did well, bit of exposure in early Carabao games...then got a red card, pissing about with the ball at the back, lost his place.  Played a few, lost his place again.

I actually spoke to Gilmartin about JoJo last Xmas, and he said it was a really good learning experience as a GK, in and out the side, time on the bench, how a mistake can have a massive impact.

52 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I guess you mean Llamas..........who come from the South American Andes, their a long pheckin way from home in Finland?  Nicki was breeding Huskies, last time i spoke to him, unless he just had a sore throat?  ?

Well there was an Alpaca invasion of a pitch in Yorkshire at the weekend !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-54224681

These things get about you know 

3 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

He remained with the club, as he got injured during a time when he was under contract the club had a duty of care to get him back to fitness but haven’t heard anything further regarding him. 

Maenpaa and injured - never 2 words I’d have expected to see in the same sentence ?

Not seen it mentioned anywhere else but saw a post of his on social media yesterday when he said he was now unemployed, so clearly we have released him.

Bit sad that it ended like this, I do appreciate we kept him around the club to let him get fit again but think he certainly deserves some recognition for his time with us.

For what it’s worth I reckon he will go down as one of the most underrated keepers to play for us, excellent at claiming crosses, great reflexes & good distributor of the ball.

One injury too many possibly but he got us out of a right pickle 2 seasons ago when Frankie got injured & I wish him all the very best.

Towards the end of last season I felt more comfortable with Niki in goal then Bents, Bents had his confidence shaken whereas Niki was commanding. 

Niki would be first choice for a lot of championship teams it's a shame there's been no word from the club as he's been a fantastic keeper, stepped in when needed. 

Whoever he ends up going to are going to be lucky to have him. 

• The title was changed to Niki Mäenpää (Merged)

I don't think there's any reason to put anything out while he's still rehabbing at the club.

Soon as he leaves, he should get a "so long and thanks for all the fish" style statement. He played like ~30 times for us.

Being a third choice keeper is at once, very close to, and miles off the first team. So I do wonder what happens to Jojo now he seems in that position.

1 hour ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

Best keeper we’ve had for decades at City (IMO better than Bents). 

Shame about the injuries / fitness however. 

I think ‘decades’ is a bit of an exaggeration.  Certainly on a par with Frankie, but not as good as Tom Heaton, so that makes him possibly our best goalkeeper for seven years.

We all knew his contract wouldn't be renewed due to recurring injury.

If the club never confirmed this officially then it was remiss, and no doubt it would not have been overlooked under normal circumstances.

However I think some sort of 'tribute' would have been unnecessary and inappropriate considering the small number of appearances he made for City.

Good luck to Niki - obviously a nice guy, and a very good keeper if he can keep fit.

41 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think ‘decades’ is a bit of an exaggeration.  Certainly on a par with Frankie, but not as good as Tom Heaton, so that makes him possibly our best goalkeeper for seven years.

I think people (myself included) don't recall Heaton's strengths too well - he was only here for one season with a horrendous defence in front of him. Maenpaa doesn't quite match up in all departments but personally I would say you have to go back further than Heaton to find a 'keeper that commands his box as well as Maenpaa. 

34 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Far better fit in the team than Bents, well trusted by the defence which he commanded well. Bents prone to unsettling defenders

Although in fairness to Bentley against Stoke he caught a few in his area and seems to have got his ‘ mojo ‘ back. 

He doesn’t possess that presence or air of menace that NM carries which may affect the way the opposition forwards go about their business and equally keep his defence on their toes. 

It is a real shame for NM and us that he’s so often injured.

54 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I think people (myself included) don't recall Heaton's strengths too well - he was only here for one season with a horrendous defence in front of him. Maenpaa doesn't quite match up in all departments but personally I would say you have to go back further than Heaton to find a 'keeper that commands his box as well as Maenpaa. 

Spot on.

There is a lot of revisionism with regard to Heaton, the defence in front of him was really poor but he wasn’t too great, either.

Definitely a stay on his line type of keeper, I remember a 4-3 home defeat (ironically Burnley) when he was all at sea.

Maenpaa looked far more assured in his time with us.

Archived