IGNORED

Niki Mäenpää (Merged)

glastonred

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Amazed at the number of you who rate Basso so highly over the period of time since we had him and today.

He was quite adequate when we had him, but aside from a few flamboyant saves for the camera, quotes from religious texts and 'always believe' - his keeping, distribution and command of his area wasn't really any better than anyone else.

Saved a few crucial pens IIRC. Where the always believe thing came from wasn’t it?

The thing about Basso for me was that he improved. From a fairly ropey beginning he became a good quality keeper. His kicking in particular improved significantly so he became competent with either foot, something which you could never say about Fielding for example. I still marvel about his performance at Leicester in which he fended off the entire Leicester side while the City outfield played statues. 

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Amazed at the number of you who rate Basso so highly over the period of time since we had him and today.

He was quite adequate when we had him, but aside from a few flamboyant saves for the camera, quotes from religious texts and 'always believe' - his keeping, distribution and command of his area wasn't really any better than anyone else.

I will say that it's probably because we were watching Steve Phillips before that, and aside for the brief moments of Mercer fitness, adequate in handling crosses and kicking was a vast improvement. Before that it was Keith Welch, and after Basso, David James. So that's a 20 year period ish (91-2012) where he's the best keeper to have played regularly for us until Tom Heaton turns up.

So to me it's pretty understandable why so many rate him, because there's no choice if you started watching football in that time period. And players who are a part of success are remembered more fondly too.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Two keepers out injured, let's go for a goalkeeper who gets injured a lot.

Good point, however as a free signing there won't be many better.

Depends how long the other two are out for. If it's only a few weeks, then they may be OK. Worst case scenario is that they just need to get to the next transfer window.

If Niki can stay fit, he's easily a top 10 keeper.

4 hours ago, Prinny said:

I will say that it's probably because we were watching Steve Phillips before that, and aside for the brief moments of Mercer fitness, adequate in handling crosses and kicking was a vast improvement. Before that it was Keith Welch, and after Basso, David James. So that's a 20 year period ish (91-2012) where he's the best keeper to have played regularly for us until Tom Heaton turns up.

So to me it's pretty understandable why so many rate him, because there's no choice if you started watching football in that time period. And players who are a part of success are remembered more fondly too.

You mean to tell me you didnt rate Ronnie Sinclair or Andy Leaning?!?! ?

On 24/11/2020 at 16:23, Bristol Rob said:

The “believe” bit summed up a very special season, few players ever get to do that.

11 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

A good keeper and excellent signing for Stoke. Good luck to the guy but not to their defence, would like to see them struggle again

The potters got him for nothing and they are only using him as a stop gap due to their preferred keepers Gunn and Davies of which are still struggling with injuries. ‘Good keeper’ NO just an OK keeper in this league. Good luck to him being an ex City keeper though.

49 minutes ago, City oz said:

The potters got him for nothing and they are only using him as a stop gap due to their preferred keepers Gunn and Davies of which are still struggling with injuries. ‘Good keeper’ NO just an OK keeper in this league. Good luck to him being an ex City keeper though.

He made very few errors for us, and much preferred him to Bentley last season, far more comfortable coming out to claim the ball.

But I’m glad that Bentley seems to have rediscovered his form, hope he keeps it up.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Harsh. Easily a top 10 keeper in this league, if/when fit. 

Unfortunately will also pick up quite a few injuries over the course of a season. Kind of ironic that they have to sign, and rely on him due to their existing keepers not being fit.

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

Harsh. Easily a top 10 keeper in this league, if/when fit. 

Unfortunately will also pick up quite a few injuries over the course of a season. Kind of ironic that they have to sign, and rely on him due to their existing keepers not being fit.

I think Watford will do very well this season and be in the top six by end of season. They need a dedicated keeper That can play at this league standard to fill the gaps while their two preferred ones and a lot less younger seem to be on a bad luck run of injuries.

Might be harsh but there is a reason why he was off loaded. He’s good but not good enough for the bigger picture at BS3. 

I still wish him all the best though 

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

I think Watford will do very well this season and be in the top six by end of season. They need a dedicated keeper That can play at this league standard to fill the gaps while their two preferred ones and a lot less younger seem to be on a bad luck run of injuries.

Might be harsh but there is a reason why he was off loaded. He’s good but not good enough for the bigger picture at BS3. 

That's great, but what about Stoke? 

:whistle:

13 minutes ago, City oz said:

Top two finish most probably 

With us as well ?

Taz , sorry mate just having an afternoon beer with a stoke supporter . Also one of my other best mates is an ex copper from Watford. Both are predicting promotion automatically with us and Brentford coming close 

29 minutes ago, City oz said:

I thought he was decent, but that oleary needed another year or 2 of loans before being first team ready,,, and keeping maenpaa here gave oleary that time.... thats my view and im sticking to it, though ive no idea if thats the considered view of the club.

33 minutes ago, Big C said:

Injured already at Stoke

Poor bugger , hand injury . You couldn’t make it up .

Stoke have signed yet another keeper to replace the replacement ! 

The Potters made a move for Lonergan after Niki Mäenpää, who joined the Club last week in a short-term deal, picked up a hand injury in training.

On 26/11/2020 at 17:22, Sheltons Army said:

I’m just wondering whether anyone has more umlaut’s in their surname

On 26/11/2020 at 17:36, Major Isewater said:

You’re going to end up with egg on your face for this post.

Certainly is. They are diaeresis not umlauts. 

They indicate that two connected vowels are sounded separately.

On 28/11/2020 at 07:04, Hampshire Red said:

A good keeper and excellent signing for Stoke. Good luck to the guy but not to their defence, would like to see them struggle again

Agreed.

I would term him a very good keeper, very safe all round.

Up there amongst the best in this division imo, unlucky that the club wanted a route for O'Leary into the first team.

Archived