IGNORED

Niki Mäenpää (Merged)

glastonred

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Poor bugger , hand injury . You couldn’t make it up .

Stoke have signed yet another keeper to replace the replacement ! 

The Potters made a move for Lonergan after Niki Mäenpää, who joined the Club last week in a short-term deal, picked up a hand injury in training.

Not so much 'Heart of Glass' as 'Hand of Glass'.....

On 02/12/2020 at 16:51, Red-Robbo said:

Certainly is. They are diaeresis not umlauts. 

They indicate that two connected vowels are sounded separately.

Except that in Finnish the ä and ö are completely separate letters with a different sound to a and o, you wouldn't confuse a, b, c, d in English and you shouldn't confuse a, o, ä, ö in Finnish.  The ää is simply a long ä, as ii is a long i in Finnish.

3 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Except that in Finnish the ä and ö are completely separate letters with a different sound to a and o, you wouldn't confuse a, b, c, d in English and you shouldn't confuse a, o, ä, ö in Finnish.  The ää is simply a long ä, as ii is a long i in Finnish.

You sound like you know what you're talking about, whereas - to be honest - I was guessing a bit, based on how an Estonian I know pronounces his surname, Estonian being a related language and all.

Nonetheless, I am correct that they are not umlauts. Umlauts completely change the vowel sound.

Blame a young Finnish lady many many moons ago.

I think that Estonian has the same additional letters as Finnish, plus a few more they add in to the party. 

Definitely not any umlauts or any other marking to differentiate pronunciations of the original letter. 

6 minutes ago, James54De said:

Injured for the full term of his emergency contract at Stoke. Shock. And people were arguing we should’ve offered him a contract. 

Easy to say when you’ve got the benefit of hindsight.

Niki was good for us, like everyone he’s at risk of getting injured. Don’t think that’s a reason not to hope that your club hangs on to decent players.

1 hour ago, James54De said:

Injured for the full term of his emergency contract at Stoke. Shock. And people were arguing we should’ve offered him a contract. 

Not a surprise. I said when he signed for them that he'd be a good top 10 keeper if it wasn't for the injuries. 

IMO this is the reason he hasn't been number 1 for a while.

Modern day Billy Mercer. 

Back to the drawing board for Stoke....

Archived