IGNORED

£100m player

Shtanley

I know I take the pee a little with jokes about the @Shtanleyis marvellous sections of OSIB (there weren't any tonight) but I have to say it's my turn to say it.

That was OSIB back to its best. Great discussion. Interesting points raised. Good balance of opinions and thoughts. 

The last episode was quite downbeat for some reason but this wasn't. I will probably be the only person who laughs at the response to "are you going to say goodbye...." but then I've always had a daft sense of humour. 

As always, tea made and washing up done to the podcast. 

Cheers all involved. 

48 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I know I take the pee a little with jokes about the @Shtanleyis marvellous sections of OSIB (there weren't any tonight) but I have to say it's my turn to say it.

That was OSIB back to its best. Great discussion. Interesting points raised. Good balance of opinions and thoughts. 

The last episode was quite downbeat for some reason but this wasn't. I will probably be the only person who laughs at the response to "are you going to say goodbye...." but then I've always had a daft sense of humour. 

As always, tea made and washing up done to the podcast. 

Cheers all involved. 

Completely agree, the last episode wasn’t anywhere near as good as normal by OSIB standards with again some disdain for differing opinions from the guests and little debate.

As you say this new episode is OSIB at its best with differing views, good debate and stupidity. Thanks once again @Shtanley

Personally, didn’t enjoy it I am afraid Shtanley. 3 people sitting round saying “Johnson...” I’d suggest you mentioned Lil Lee more often than you did Holden. Even to the extent that, after agreeing we had enough midfielders to fill a bus, Johnson was then blamed for James Taylor not being given a chance and subsequently moving to Palace?? 

Only my opinion, usually enjoy them, think it’s brilliant that you crack them out & really professional, but I’ll wait for a while before tuning back in (is that a thing??) so that hopefully by then you are looking forward rather than back. ??

I think constructive criticism is a great way of encouraging growth and development.

But with all 3 city podcasts, whilst there is positive feedback, the negative feedback just seems overly so.

I certainly enjoy some episodes over others and some guests over others. 

It doesn’t mean I ‘take a break’ frown listening or think they’re bad podcasts. 

What other City related content is there? 

My two dislikes of OSIB are when @Shtanley doesn’t give a sh1t sometimes (I know it’s part of his ‘This is all is waste of time and we’re rubbish’ shtick, that was fine at the start with Joe, but you’re past that now) and when the planets align and the panel get quite dismissive of a differing view point.

Its no worse than having to overlook Ian’s Overbearing arrogance on @headhunterCity forever podcast. He does have a good knowledge of city and I always think he’s probably alright in real life.

They’re still a good listen and certainly no reason to ignore some great city content.

BS3 Talk is also a good listen. Yes, there are bits you could dislike, but again, overall it’s good city content.

8 hours ago, redsontour said:

Personally, didn’t enjoy it I am afraid Shtanley. 3 people sitting round saying “Johnson...” I’d suggest you mentioned Lil Lee more often than you did Holden. Even to the extent that, after agreeing we had enough midfielders to fill a bus, Johnson was then blamed for James Taylor not being given a chance and subsequently moving to Palace?? 

Only my opinion, usually enjoy them, think it’s brilliant that you crack them out & really professional, but I’ll wait for a while before tuning back in (is that a thing??) so that hopefully by then you are looking forward rather than back. ??

Don’t think we blamed him for the Jamie Taylor move, was more a point linking back to not being given the opportunity like Bakinson has, and when they take the opportunity you have to trust them to keep going rather than bomb out. 

Noted On the other LJ points, only natural to compare and contrast new to old managers tho really!

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Don’t think we blamed him for the Jamie Taylor move, was more a point linking back to not being given the opportunity like Bakinson has, and when they take the opportunity you have to trust them to keep going rather than bomb out. 

Noted On the other LJ points, only natural to compare and contrast new to old managers tho really!

I think you’re bound too in the short term. Lee Johnson oversaw a four Year tenure which shaped the club and has just been replaced by his assistant.

Interesting debate r.e LJ vs Holden and youth players. Some very good points made I thought;

I'd been chatting about this before the podcast with a mate though and I wonder if there has been a bit of a perfect storm for some of these development players - in that Holden's hand might have been forced somewhat.

1) Transfer kitty has been tightened so those awful short term signings (blight of LJ era) were not coming in to block the pathway, even if Holden wanted that or not. Door now more ajar for some younger players.

2) Would Vyner and Moore played the games they had if Baker and Kalas been injured? Even taking into account rotation, Holden does seem to like consistency, especially at the back.

3) Again, if Williams wasn't injured or Morrell and Nagy on international duty, would Bakinson have played as much?

4) If Famara had signed his contract, would Semenyo have been sent on loan? Add to the mix Weimann has been needed in midfield so that created another space. Would we have kept all five of Wells, Martin, Fam, Semenyo and Weimann busy?

We're yet to see if Walsh and Morrell will oust Weimann or Pato. Those two seem undroppable already. Trusted players, we'll see.

Or maybe the plan was always that these guys were getting their chance this season. Was LJ holding them back or were they not quite ready? (he did give majority of them their debuts after all). We will probably never have a definitive answer for that and we still need more time to see how they get on over a longer period of games. Early signs seem that the approach of the new coaching staff could be facilitating them better, but this season is also probably the perfect one for a young player to get experience and make mistakes without the pressure of the crowd.

I said 3/4 years ago the hope with the clubs strategy would be that one season we will see a group of our youngsters all come of age at the same time. Is this the season each of Vyner, Moore, Bakinson, Morrell, Walsh, Semenyo use the experience of their loan spells and take the chance they've got this season with us. If they do, could be an exciting one.

It's my opinion, that's fine, I have absolutely no truck with Stan, Pete or Rob having their opinions; although Rob has always, and I am sure, will always, be a glass completely full to overflowing or a glass smashed on the floor impaling glass in his big toe, type of guy, one of the reasons its good to have him in 30 second Voxpops! 

Ironically, I actually absolutely agreed with a statement Rob made, regarding "would LJ have brought Semenyo on at 1-0", because I don't think he would either, (or maybe he would have this season)however, the constant harping about "pathway" has, to my ear, become tedious. Go back and listen again and see how may backward looking statements were in the pod, rather than forward ones?

Taking Bakinson and saying it's the greatest debut ever for a City player is, frankly to me, bizarre. Ty has played 2 full seasons of league football at 2 and 1 levels. He actually played 42 league and cup games in 18/19 season! He's a young man who has all the attributes and, could be, I agree, a brilliant player, but it's not like he's walked in from a 6 a side car park game? A brilliant debut was that of Tammy, who had NEVER played a senior game and his first touch of the ball, taking it to the corner flag,  made him stand out. They have had different "pathways", but the same, we were Tammy's league 2, Swansea his league 1, then into the Chelsea team. That's how it works.

Stan, I know you love youngsters (for the record, in a good way!) , but you all sat round saying "Johnson didn't trust them", perhaps there was a reason not to? Antoine (stay calm Stan) was sent off 30 minutes after being brought on in his 4th game with a youngsters rush of blood, perhaps trust needed to be built?

As I said, I think the podcast is great, Stan and others do a fantastic job, I have loved listening and I definitely think the new 50 minute format is much better than the previous 90 minute, however, I shall be back after a bit of a break because, by then I will be able to listen to the boys talking about how Dean Holden is blocking players pathways, how Chris Martin is the new Wilbs and how it is still a scandal that Arnold Garitta could have been the new John Atyeo if it wasn't for that pesky Johnson family...

Good podcast, really enjoyed it. 

I have no problem whatsoever with any of you bringing LJ to task on his failures, it’s about time he was called out for all the things he did wrong. You said it as it is, the players were clearly not happy with the way he did things, and were clearly scared to express themselves, fearing they would get dropped the following game. This happened time and time again, it’s factual, so why does anyone have a problem with the truth.

Keep up the good work lads?

I'm a newbie to the podcast - I must say it has me in fits of laughter.

I enjoy the format, and to be fair, the reflection on where we were at with LJ, I think is fair.

I'm not a regular at AG and I've seen some tripe served over the years (since 1982). But the one game I went to last year (Blackburn) was, to be blunt, worse than terrible.

It was dull, so dull in fact, that a foggy day by the river Tay in Dundee would have been much more interesting.

I wasn't a supporter of the Holden decision. But my word, what a breath of fresh air. The young players we have are capable, creative and talented at this level. They're also exciting and now play with a smile on their face.

We started well, so it's easy at the moment. The test will come when we have a shocker, which we will, and how we respond. Hopefully not by slagging off and bullying the youngsters.

First time listening to the podcast and I enjoyed it. Perhaps you guys were a little hyperbolic when talking about Bakinson, but the comparison of Holden and LJ was fair and relevant. I'm not as down on LJ as many others, but you're absolutely right about him not trusting young players, where as Holden (forced into it or not) has set a stall out whereby if kids play well, they get a chance to keep the shirt. I don't think anyone though Bakinson would start the season as he has, but credit for Holden for sticking with him and not tweaking things to get the more experienced players on the pitch. Same with Semenyo too; he's put some faith in him, given him minutes and he's justifying that faith. I just hope that Bakinson gets some help in there because I think relying on him to hold the whole midfield together with two "number 8s" (hmmmm) ahead of him is a bit too much to expect. 

It's such a great scenario to have; Vyner and Moore fighting it out to stay in the team when Kalas is fit, Semenyo making it hard for Diedhou to get picked ahead of him, Bakinson making us forget we have 97 other midfielders who want games. It's exciting

On 22/09/2020 at 00:21, redsontour said:

Can't disagree more regarding the LJ comparisons, I thought they got that analysis spot on. It's only natural to compare and contrast a new manager to old and especially in our case now where Holden has straight away seemingly addressed what many viewed as Johnson's weaknesses as a manager especially in his final season (not giving us an identity/drilling the players into a specific and consistent system, blocking the young players pathways with signings such as Rodri, perceived lack of man management skills, constantly throwing players 'under the bus' in press conferences, seemingly not getting the best out of players or allowing them to express themselves on the pitch etc).

It may be a false dawn and if it is I'm sure Stan and the guys will call it out but atm to borrow a Landown phrase Holden does seem to be a 'breath of fresh air' compared to LJ and it's surely it's only right to bring this point up to discuss on podcasts such as OSIB

2 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Love the podcast but can’t bring myself to listen if [REDACTED] is on. If it’s him or [REDACTED] then I’m switching off. Both so arrogant and self entitled and their attitude really undoes so much of the good work the rest of the OSIB gang do. Such a shame. 

Chris Moyles / Piers Morgan?

5 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Love the podcast but can’t bring myself to listen if [REDACTED] is on. If it’s him or [REDACTED] then I’m switching off. Both so arrogant and self entitled and their attitude really undoes so much of the good work the rest of the OSIB gang do. Such a shame. 

LJ and Semenyo?

Archived