90 goals

daored

10 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

So where are these goals coming from??

Naki 20?

Martin 15?

Where's the other 55? That's a scary thought

Not being negative, but can't see the other 55

Paterson. Weimann, both in double figures, the other midfielders to chip with another 10. The back line 10 between them from set pieces, the wing backs should be looking to score their share too, another 10? 

22 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Naki 20?

Martin 15?

Diedhiou 15

Pato 8

Semenyo 10

Kalas 2

Baker 2 

Moore 2 

Bakinson 3

Hunt 3

Dasliva 2

Rowe 2

Massengo 2

Brunt 2

Eliasson 5

COD 5

Weimann 10

Vyner 2

Lewis 2                      = 77

Who have I missed ?

Sessegnon

Mawson 2 a piece.  = 81 

There is a margin for error there but it’s not beyond belief that it is doable . 

We’re going up , we are going up .

:bounce:

Well the three teams that went up last year scored

Leeds  77 

West Brom  77

Fulham  64

And Brentford top scored with 80

So 90 is a nice goal , and maybe it includes cups, but that's not needed typically.

Goals against would be the area we needed to improve on the most. We let in 65 last year, compared to Leeds 35, West Brom 45, Fulham 48, Brentford 38

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Diedhiou 15

Pato 8

Semenyo 10

Kalas 2

Baker 2 

Moore 2 

Bakinson 3

Hunt 3

Dasliva 2

Rowe 2

Massengo 2

Brunt 2

Eliasson 5

COD 5

Weimann 10

Vyner 2

Who have I missed ?

There is a margin for error there but it’s not beyond belief that it is doable . 

Looks a crazy target and potentially a bit demotivating if we're miles behind

I'd rather 2 points per game average rather than 1.95 goals

28 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Naki 20?

Martin 15?

It's obviously a very ambitious target, but if our targets aren't ambitious then there's not much point having them. Generally teams that get 90 goals are in contention for auto promotion so it's good to know that's the direction we're looking.

Setting numerical targets is quite a standard thing for football teams I believe, be it goals or points or whatever, but what I've always wondered is, if the team is quite clearly drastically behind target at what point does the target become demoralising and is there a point where you abandon it?

I'm guessing if the team was in poor form the coaches could say, right, let's put this goals target to one side and focus on clean sheets?

In the Spurs doc Mourinho was always comparing the points tally to Chelsea, which is incentivising if you're catching them, but if you start losing ground can actually be a psychological stick more than a carrot.

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Diedhiou 15

Pato 8

Semenyo 10

Kalas 2

Baker 2 

Moore 2 

Bakinson 3

Hunt 3

Dasliva 2

Rowe 2

Massengo 2

Brunt 2

Eliasson 5

COD 5

Weimann 10

Vyner 2

Who have I missed ?

Sessegnon

Mawson 2 a piece.  = 81 

:bounce:Wells? 

4 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Naki 20?

Martin 15?

Considering we have scored 8 so far from 7 different goal scorers there is no reason the squad wont chip in a big number. Also I wouldn't be shocked to see wells closer to 30 in all comps and martin 20

4 hours ago, Prinny said:

Leeds  77 

West Brom  77

Fulham  64

So 90 is a nice goal , and maybe it includes cups, but that's not needed typically.

Goals against would be the area we needed to improve on the most. We let in 65 last year, compared to Leeds 35, West Brom 45, Fulham 48, Brentford 38

When you put it like that, it's actually an extreme target. There must be some science to how they've come up with that, perhaps a target of scoring 2 a game? I think we only just scored 90ish in our league winning season?

9 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Considering we have scored 8 so far from 7 different goal scorers there is no reason the squad wont chip in a big number. Also I wouldn't be shocked to see wells closer to 30 in all comps and martin 20

Contributing goals from all areas of the team is important and most successful sides do this. I have mentioned this before in other threads, but as it’s particularly relevant to this topic it will bear repeating. In the season before they all left the club, Reid, Flint and Bryan scored 35 between them. That would give you a pretty good start towards a 90 goal target. Don’t know how many we got in total that season in all competitions, but I dare say someone will tell us. 

And I believe I’m right in saying that in Cotterill’s double-winning team, every single outfield player got on the scoresheet at some point in the season. Again, I wonder how many we chalked up that year in league and cups? This is why putting too much emphasis on having 20+ striker sometimes misses the point.

18 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

When you put it like that, it's actually an extreme target. There must be some science to how they've come up with that, perhaps a target of scoring 2 a game? I think we only just scored 90ish in our league winning season?

Every team in the last 6 years who has scored 90 goals in this league has gone up.

14/15 Bournemouth 98 Watford 91

18/19 Norwich 93

So if our target is going up, makes sense to target something that has always achieved it recently. Even if it's not necessary as obv only 3/18 promoted sides did it from those 6 seasons.

My take on this would be that if we get there we are very likely to be promoted... but if we go for it and only miss by a few there's every chance as well.

First half of Coventry aside, we're also looking reasonably tight at the back so far. Of course it is early days but both aspects will be needed to achieve promotion

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Diedhiou 15

Pato 8

Semenyo 10

Kalas 2

Baker 2 

Moore 2 

Bakinson 3

Hunt 3

Dasliva 2

Rowe 2

Massengo 2

Brunt 2

Eliasson 5

COD 5

Weimann 10

Vyner 2

Who have I missed ?

Sessegnon

Mawson 2 a piece.  = 81 

:bounce:

You missed some clubs contributing OGs to help us on our way.

I think 90 is a bit silly personally, not impossible but unlikely. I struggle to see it unless they expect autos like some say. There comes a point where it's too ambitious and you'd feel like a potential failure afterwards if they're serious about that target. 70-80 would still be a good target for them and also very reachable and something to be proud of compared to previous years. 

I hope it's just a 'soft' target, a 'nice to have' kinda one. 

15 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I think 90 is a bit silly personally, not impossible but unlikely. I struggle to see it unless they expect autos like some say. There comes a point where it's too ambitious and you'd feel like a potential failure afterwards if they're serious about that target. 70-80 would still be a good target for them and also very reachable and something to be proud of compared to previous years. 

I hope it's just a 'soft' target, a 'nice to have' kinda one. 

Agreed, I'd be astounded if we hit 90 over the season, even if we include cup games. 70+ in the league would be exceptional, if you combine that with conceding less than 50 then you've a very, very good chance of a top 6 finish.

We've scored 10 in 4 so far, 2.5 per game. However we've been relatively shot shy, we had 13 against Exeter, 11 against Cov, 15 for Northampton and 10 against Stoke. That's only an average of 12.25 per game. 49 shots in total, 10 goals is basically a 20% conversion rate, or 0.2 goals per shot. For contrast last season's top scoring side was Brentford, who managed 0.11 goals per shot. We ourselves were the most efficient at 0.12 - I said many times last season we were too focussed on shooting well rather than often. Brentford took nearly 200 more shots than us in total - hence they scored far more than us.

My point, perhaps being poorly made, is that we are very unlikely to maintain our current goals:shots ratio across the season. Therefore, assuming our finishing rate drops back to around what it was last season, we need to up our number of shots per game by around 50%. I would much rather the team had a target of 15 shots, 5 of which are on target, per game than "90 goals in the season". If you achieved that shot target then the goals would look after themselves.

6 hours ago, Prinny said:

Leeds  77 

West Brom  77

Fulham  64

Leeds target this year seems to be ‘be involved in matches that have a total of 90 goals”. 

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Scoring 90 goals sounds great, but how many will we concede? 

If we play positive attacking football I guess this is possible, but don't get too carried away as we haven't faced anyone is any good yet.

Aye, it's all about goal difference rather than raw goals scored. Get a GD of 20 or more and you're well set for a top 6, even top 4 finish.

Brentford two seasons ago scored 73...but conceded 59, GD of 14, finished mid-table. Last season they only scored 17 more, but conceded only 38, gave a GD of 42 and third place, almost second place.

Aim to take a lot of shots with our clinical strikers, simultaneously shut down the opposition (we've been much better at that so far under Holden) and we should be well on our way to +10 or possibly up towards +20 GD.

If we maintain current tracks of course.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Aye, it's all about goal difference rather than raw goals scored. Get a GD of 20 or more and you're well set for a top 6, even top 4 finish.

Brentford two seasons ago scored 73...but conceded 59, GD of 14, finished mid-table. Last season they only scored 17 more, but conceded only 38, gave a GD of 42 and third place, almost second place.

Aim to take a lot of shots with our clinical strikers, simultaneously shut down the opposition (we've been much better at that so far under Holden) and we should be well on our way to +10 or possibly up towards +20 GD.

If we maintain current tracks of course.

Not that many seasons back that Huddersfield got promoted with a minus goal difference.

Archived