IGNORED

Colston Hall renamed as the Bristol Beacon

Spoons

Said it in one of the other threads. Doesn't matter what they call it, will always be known as the Colston hall

The NIA will always be known as the NIA. It's not been known as the NIA since 2014

Newcastle United's home ground will always be known as St James Park. They changed the name a few years ago but moved it back. 

Millennium stadium in Cardiff will always be known as the millennium stadium. Anyone who says they call it by its real name is telling porkie pies. ?

2 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Said it in one of the other threads. Doesn't matter what they call it, will always be known as the Colston hall

Disagree. People probably said the same about Marathon bars when they changed to Snickers. That was the generation before me so I grew up with Snickers. 

30 years time and most people will know it as the Beacon. 

Newcastle and Millennium Stadium name changes were due to sponsorship. All the examples you gave were in the past 10 years chasing their name. On the other hand everyone calls Man City's ground the Etihad... 

16 minutes ago, The Batman said:

The NIA will always be known as the NIA. It's not been known as the NIA since 2014

Newcastle United's home ground will always be known as St James Park. They changed the name a few years ago but moved it back. 

Millennium stadium in Cardiff will always be known as the millennium stadium. Anyone who says they call it by its real name is telling porkie pies. ?

Comparisons to stadia aren't right though.

St. James' Park will have a host of various sponsorship names over the years. Same for the Millenium Stadium, none of those are permanent and will only last until the contract is up.

Same happened at Ashton Gate. The Dolman or Atyeo used to be the GWR Dolman or Atyeo stand. 

But it had it's proper name before then and kept it after the sponsorship deal was over.

It might always be the Colston Hall to you, but to the kids who get taken to Bristol Beacon with their school it won't be.

In 20 years the people who remember it as Colston Hall will be middle aged or older.

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Disagree. People probably said the same about Marathon bars when they changed to Snickers. That was the generation before me so I grew up with Snickers. 

Newcastle and Millennium Stadium name changes were due to sponsorship. All the examples you gave were in the past 10 years chasing their name. On the other hand everyone calls Man City's ground the Etihad... 

Perfectly valid points. One huge job on their pr department. Plus with covid lockdowns, nobody will be going there anyway. 

Personal note, sears tower in Chicago will always be known as the sears tower to me, even when I'm 100 (if I make it) 

9 minutes ago, Selred said:

Same with the Emirates. But that has been sponsored since it was built. I think it's 'real' name is Ashburton Grove. But I'm sure another sponsorship will take place of Emirates rather than that be used.

In fact a quick Google search tells me the deal ends at the end of this season.

6 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Ask 100 random people to name this in under 3 seconds. Guarantee the vast majority won't say the correct name. 

clock_tower_-_palace_of_westminster_lond

One of my favourite cities. Outskirts are a bit dodgy. Don't go there ?

Elizabeth Tower, last year I'd of agreed most would of said the wrong name, but this question has been on every quiz since lockdown!

19 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Ask 100 random people to name this in under 3 seconds. Guarantee the vast majority won't say the correct name. 

clock_tower_-_palace_of_westminster_lond

One of my favourite cities. Outskirts are a bit dodgy. Don't go there ?

I get your point but that doesn't really make sense here, as most people got the name wrong even before it was called Elizabeth Tower! It's just one that people always got wrong. I actually had to Google to find out the previous name of the Tower bit.

23 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

So it has been announced that the Hall's new name is Bristol Beacon. Leaving aside the reasons for the name change, and whether its liked or not, surely, surely the name of the street it sits on has to be changed as well? Where is the sense in having the Bristol Beacon having an address of Colston Street ?

Change the street name to Black Lives Matter Avenue. Then grab a chair, grab some popcorn, and watch the fuming.

• The title was changed to Colston Hall renamed as the Bristol Beacon
2 hours ago, Selred said:

Marathons are Marathons :gaah:

Fine by me, too - I was afraid it would be named after some sleazy corporate sponsor, probably not much better than Colston sub specie aeternitatis.

I'll probably call it the Colston Hall from sheer force of habit for a year or two (not from an ideological viewpoint or sour grapes) then even I will move with the times - as we all do.

ps Bet none of us will get tickets for Massive Attack's first gig there!!!!

Archived