IGNORED

Alan Carr's dad hates Nahki Wells

Nongazeuse

Interview in today's Mail (yes I know but my wife buys it) with Graham Carr, father of "comedian" Alan and former manager and scout for various clubs.

When he was Chief Scout at Newcastle under Alan Pardew, Carr senior was told that Pardew fancied a new centre forward and showed him a video of Nahki Wells (then at Bradford).  Carr's response was "F****ing Hell".  Then says "sometimes you have to think how the fans would react. That one never happened."

Seems an odd story to tell given Newcastle's feeble last few seasons and some hopeless transfers - Carr persuaded Newcastle to spend £40m on Joelinton (2 goals in a year) and there have been many more poor buys.

Whereas Wells has been a consistent scorer ever since - hope we get Newcastle in the Cup and Nahki reads this.

7 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Seems an odd story to tell given Newcastle's feeble last few seasons and some hopeless transfers - Carr persuaded Newcastle to spend £40m on Joelinton (2 goals in a year) and there have been many more poor buys.

Carr left Newcastle in 2017. Actually worked wonders at Newcastle with likes of Cabaye, Cisse, Tiote etc scouted.

Imagine we were in Newcastle's position and we were looking to Bradford City players to solve our problems. Rightly or wrongly (I would lean on the latter) OTIB would mostly be absolutely incensed. The statement above is oddly specific, but shows how some fanbases need to be taken into account to keep people in jobs.

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

To be fair, newcastle have needed an international class goal scorer since shearer retired, and nakhi wells isnt that. 

12 goals in 19 international appearances.... although standard of opposition possibly questionable. 

9 minutes ago, Selred said:

Carr left Newcastle in 2017. Actually worked wonders at Newcastle with likes of Cabaye, Cisse, Tiote etc scouted.

Yes he did spot some good players as well especially those three but some other expensive duds eg Riviere.  Carr did recommend Joelinton to Mike Ashley last year although he was no longer employed by them according to the article.

Wells wouldn't have been the solution tbh- how many games did Burnley play him in the PL? Possible he's never had a fair chance at that level though.

Joelinton is a strange one- clearly there's a player in there, showed it at Hoffenheim- not £40m worth though! All round contributions at Hoffenheim, reasonable enough in a decent side.

Did Newcastle get the best out of varied French players? Debatable! Thauvin is a good example, Reverie not particularly good though. Thauvin however, goal and MOTM according to WhoScored at PSG the other week and has been particularly productive for Marseille in general- Newcastle not so much. If he puts up decent displays in the CL, that'll add to Newcastle's regular failure to get the best out of many.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wells wouldn't have been the solution tbh- how many games did Burnley play him in the PL? Possible he's never had a fair chance at that level though.

Joelinton is a strange one- clearly there's a player in there, showed it at Hoffenheim- not £40m worth though! All round contributions at Hoffenheim, reasonable enough in a decent side.

Did Newcastle get the best out of varied French players? Debatable! Thauvin is a good example, Reverie not particularly good though. Thauvin however, goal and MOTM according to WhoScored at PSG the other week and has been particularly productive for Marseille in general- Newcastle not so much. If he puts up decent displays in the CL, that'll add to Newcastle's regular failure to get the best out of many.

The stats guys at Mrkt Insights think he’s a really good player, but that he’s a no10 not a no9, and until he plays there, Newcastle won’t see the best of him.

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Still not sure what Alan Carr , whoever he is has to do with this post. So Graham Carr recommended Wells to Pardew who didn’t fancy him. So what.

Alan Carr, m’lud, is known as a popular entertainer amongst the hoi polloi, though he has no  discernible talent. He is the son of the obscure sporting trainer mentioned.

10 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Interview in today's Mail (yes I know but my wife buys it) with Graham Carr, father of "comedian" Alan and former manager and scout for various clubs.

When he was Chief Scout at Newcastle under Alan Pardew, Carr senior was told that Pardew fancied a new centre forward and showed him a video of Nahki Wells (then at Bradford).  Carr's response was "F****ing Hell".  Then says "sometimes you have to think how the fans would react. That one never happened."

Whereas Wells has been a consistent scorer ever since - hope we get Newcastle in the Cup and Nahki reads this.

Why should you have to apologise for buying or reading the the daily mail? I know it's very woke and trendy to do so but as someone who buys it and has done so for 30 odd years I find it strange. I mean I would never think of criticising a person for reading the Guardian, each to their own. 

11 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

He started his career at a club called Dandy Town Hornets is there a better  name in football ?

10 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

I've always liked Hearts of Oak in Africa

Ghana's Premier League has a club name to surpass those...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Coast_Ebusua_Dwarfs

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Why should you have to apologise for buying or reading the the daily mail? I know it's very woke and trendy to do so but as someone who buys it and has done so for 30 odd years I find it strange. I mean I would never think of criticising a person for reading the Guardian, each to their own. 

Probably because the Fail is right wing racist trash, but that's a discussion for another forum! :)

Archived