IGNORED

Bristol City v John Terry's Aston Villa - Carabao Cup R3 - Match Day

Septic Peg

Just now, 2015 said:

Moore, Vyner, Rowe are League 1 players who play with players who are solid Championship players. Really showed how poor they were tonight, like majority of the players out there.

At least we can focus on the League now anyway

We're always "focusing the league" ... never do anything in the league mind ... but at least it has our focus. 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Did you see Moore on the weekend?  Was quality and showed he is a championship player. 

Too inconsistent for me. Not good enough on the ball, puts us under pressure too much. He is ok when he plays with a solid commanding defender next to him. He wouldnt be out of place still at Blackpool I think, just my opinion that's all.

Rubbish game but super excited about Semenyo & Bakinson for this season + Mawson & Martin will be good to watch.

But what has happened to Eliasson though, his attacking threat seems to have vanished & without that there's not much else to his game. Maybe his dream move didn't come off and his heads gone I dunno but he aint a LWB either

Just now, BOSRed said:

Wasn’t helped by lack of movement from brunt and poor display from Nagy. Works better with bakinson who is more calm on the ball

Nor was he helped by the movement and runs (or lack of) by the forward line, Fam in particular. That said, he looked too sluggish in places. But certainly wasn't the only one.
I'll happily take that defeat and performance on the chin in return for a win at the weekend. 

Bakinson looks a game changer!

just switched over to Liverpool game, Lincoln 5-0 down but playing with a lot more enthusiasm than us.

Hopefully our focus is on the league, but after a couple of the performances by our players tonight it’s time to let some of the deadwood go! Starting with the 9 and the 45!

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

No complaints. Better side won.

Depressing that we were competing with this lot recently but now a chasm in terms of quality  

Chasm in terms of parachute payments too. 

seen elsewhere those saying that we take Kalas and Mawson out and we look suspect. Would argue taking your captain and joint best defender and £20m worth of premiership level defender out of any championship side and they’d struggle. 

It didn’t work with Rowe particularly suspect but perhaps just the confirmation we needed for further cover at CB. 

Shame not to compete but I’d rather 3 points v Wednesday. Great to hear that both Semenyo and Bakinson continue their form. Onto the next

Just after a defeat is always a rash time to judge players, and I think some of the criticism of both Palmer and Nagy is harsh but, with three midfielders to come back from injury, the pressure is on both of them and Massengo to impress and show they are worthy of being here and above seventh choice in the pecking order. Realistically tonight was a massive chance for them to do that and they don't seem to have taken it. 

10 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

I thought it was decent game apart from the early goals. Can't help but wonder if Wells had started for Fam ... 

we still would of lost . We were outclassed all over the pitch. No shame in it and it’ll bring us back down to earth with a bump , which isn’t always a bad thing. 

Just now, JonDolman said:

There can be other reasons for that.

Palmer does like to tackle. One of Nagy's weaknesses is he isn't the best at tackling.

Brunt in the deep lying role probably had too much to do to win tackles.

I am just saying what I see with my own eyes. Stats can give a very false impression on a players performance.

Did you watch the game? Palmer was clearly walking a lot and Nagy was pretty non stop running all game.

In this system and how Holden wants to play then I would say that's not going to be what he wants from one of his box to box midfielders.

Just an observation. If you think he has high work rate then that's fine.

Yeah and I thought Nagy and Brunt were far worse than Palmer, who was the only one who seemed to be able to offer anything even if it didn't come off tonight. 

I don't think he has high work rate, but would you rather have players who offer high work rate and offer nothing? Thats the sort of thing that you would need to get a game at the Mem.

23 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

That Jacob Ramsey has been exceptional for Villa. Playing L1 for Doncaster last year on loan apparently. 

It appears he is going out on loan this season again but he is getting a run in the cup games and pre season friendlies. Scored 2 against Arsenal a few weeks ago in a friendly. He is a real talent for the future

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Jury definitely out on Vyner for me as well.  I do wonder if we sign a centre back on loan soon.

I hope so if were going 3 at the back regardless its going to be too risky relying on TM & ZV both have good qualities but way I see it the club can only try & bring one junior CB through at a at time. Maybe they rotate but Kalas & Mawson with have had injuries throughout last season. 

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I don't think he has high work rate, but would you rather have players who offer high work rate and offer nothing? Thats the sort of thing that you would need to get a game at the Mem.

Depends if your a manager or a fan

If your job depended on it would you pick players like Palmer Jet or Jackie?

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

There can be other reasons for that.

Palmer does like to tackle. One of Nagy's weaknesses is he isn't the best at tackling.

Brunt in the deep lying role probably had too much to do to win tackles.

I am just saying what I see with my own eyes. Stats can give a very false impression on a players performance.

Did you watch the game? Palmer was clearly walking a lot and Nagy was pretty non stop running all game.

In this system and how Holden wants to play then I would say that's not going to be what he wants from one of his box to box midfielders.

Just an observation. If you think he has high work rate then that's fine.

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Yeah and I thought Nagy and Brunt were far worse than Palmer, who was the only one who seemed to be able to offer anything even if it didn't come off tonight. 

Pretty simple really

Personally I wouldn’t shed a tear if both were offloaded tomorrow

in reality it was almost our reserves against their reserves. nothing unexpected and tbh,i think holden did the right thing keeping his best starting 11 safe for sunday.its only the carabo cup,cant get excited about cups this season with wembley pretty much out of the question for a long time

14 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Bakinson looks a game changer!

just switched over to Liverpool game, Lincoln 5-0 down but playing with a lot more enthusiasm than us.

Hopefully our focus is on the league, but after a couple of the performances by our players tonight it’s time to let some of the deadwood go! Starting with the 9 and the 45!

Burton also showed more enthusiasm against a stronger Villa side. Though it wasn't Burton's B side I suppose.

34 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Does the level of opposition make it harder to close down

yes, it can.

and keep track of your man

yes, it does

not allowing him to breeze past you so he’s free in the box? I would say no.

Effort-wise, I agree with you.  There should be no difference there.

So not sure why Palmer is performing so lazily off the ball tonight

difficult to see everything on a tv screen, but good players drag you long, pull you short, etc, etc.  Several players are made to look yards off because of the quality of movement and intelligence of the opposition.  You can end up doing doggies.  You can end up trying to follow your man, take  a quick peek to check what’s going on with the player on the ball, and find your man is gone.  Prem players are at that level for a reason, they are usually quicker in thought than Champ players.

tonight we were akin to Northampton last week - that’s why we got so much space last week.

The step up in quality showed up tonight, and it makes some players look like they’re not trying.

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Now the league cup is out of the way , I can see a acceleration in midfielders going. Massengo and Nagy I would of thought . (Han Noah on loan) Palmer wasn’t great until Bakinson came on , then got into better positions up the pitch . 

Thought Massengo looked pretty good when he came on. I'd keep over Nagy if we have to lose one. Dont think we need to lose two given schedule.

Archived