IGNORED

Bristol City v John Terry's Aston Villa - Carabao Cup R3 - Match Day

Septic Peg

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Twice his man jogged past him near the edge of the box and he just left him.  That has nothing to do with the standard of the opposition.  

Opposition may make it harder to actually close down but it doesnt make it harder to try to close down. 

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Unfortunately that is probably weeks away. And in injury updates Morrell barely gets a mention, which is worrying.

Morrell is off I am sure of it

My summary of tonight.

We were outplayed in key areas.

For me you win as a team and you lose as a team.  Individually some players looked to have poor games, but watching in tv, you miss so much if the overall goings on and why a player might look to be worse or better than they were.

If I had to pick any of the starters to do themselves any real justice I would say O’Leary and Semenyo.  All the other 9 were indifferent...mainly due to the quality of the opposition.

It’s easy to be negative about players in a game against a clearly stronger side but for me it was less about poor individual performances as poor combinations of players. Moore and Rowe, Rowe and Eliasson, Brunt and Palmer. Moore still needs experience alongside him, as does Vyner.

Palmer had his best moments once Bakinson came on and Semenyo found out how hard it is to play alongside Fam rather than Martin and also saw much more of the ball once Tyreeq came on.

Brunt was disappointing but will probably be more useful in coming on and seeing games out. Beaten by a far better side but a lot of positives from our young ones. It’s going to take a good player to get Tyreeq out of the team. 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Twice his man jogged past him near the edge of the box and he just left him.  That has nothing to do with the standard of the opposition.  

Opposition may make it harder to actually close down but it doesnt make it harder to try to close down. 

Morrell is off I am sure of it

I suspect you may be right. Having not been mentioned at all in a couple of injury updates all Dean could manage in the latest was "Oh, he's got a calf strain". Distinctly meh I thought.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I suspect you may be right. Having not been mentioned at all in a couple of injury updates all Dean could manage in the latest was "Oh, he's got a calf strain". Distinctly meh I thought.

This might come back to bite me but I’m not as massive a fan as many seem to be. Would be much more gutted if Walsh left 

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It’s easy to be negative about players in a game against a clearly stronger side but for me it was less about poor individual performances as poor combinations of players. Moore and Rowe, Rowe and Eliasson, Brunt and Palmer. Moore still needs experience alongside him, as does Vyner.

Palmer had his best moments once Bakinson came on and Semenyo found out how hard it is to play alongside Fam rather than Martin and also saw much more of the ball once Tyreeq came on.

Brunt was disappointing but will probably be more useful in coming on and seeing games out. Beaten by a far better side but a lot of positives from our young ones. It’s going to take a good player to get Tyreeq out of the team. 

??????????

Best post I’ve read tonight....thank you.  Apologies to some of the other good posts too, but this nails it for me.

5 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Thought Massengo looked pretty good when he came on. I'd keep over Nagy if we have to lose one. Dont think we need to lose two given schedule.

Nagy, Morrell,Williams,brunt,Walsh, Bakinson . All different types but all central midfielders. Added to that there’s Palmer, wiemann and Paterson .  That’s nine. Agree, we’ve got a condensed season , so it’ll be 3 games a week for most of it but personally  I think we need seven of those nine . 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My summary of tonight.

We were outplayed in key areas.

For me you win as a team and you lose as a team.  Individually some players looked to have poor games, but watching in tv, you miss so much if the overall goings on and why a player might look to be worse or better than they were.

If I had to pick any of the starters to do themselves any real justice I would say O’Leary and Semenyo.  All the other 9 were indifferent...mainly due to the quality of the opposition.

If we can’t properly judge players on tv we might as well shut the forum down till crowds are back! 

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nagy, Morrell,Williams,brunt,Walsh, Bakinson . All different types but all central midfielders. Added to that there’s Palmer, wiemann and Paterson .  That’s nine. Agree, we’ve got a condensed season , so it’ll be 3 games a week for most of it but personally  I think we need seven of those nine . 

I'd look to offload Bakinson...not really ?

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

This might come back to bite me but I’m not as massive a fan as many seem to be. Would be much more gutted if Walsh left 

If Walsh doesn't sign a new contract he may be off as well. Dean wants to offload a couple of midfielders but may not get a choice of which two it is.

Morrell and Walsh or Nagy and Palmer. I know which pair I prefer but we may be stuck with the latter.

6 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I'd look to offload Bakinson...not really ?

It’s funny how he’s pushed himself to being one of the first names on the team sheet and he actually makes us tick. We look much more fluid with him in the side at the moment. With Williams , Walsh  and Morrell to come back in, the midfield looks really strong. Genuinely think it would do us and fam best if he moved on. I just don’t see how he compliments any of the other strikers or midfielders 

So who moves on one way or another.

Bakinson is nailed on to stay as are Brunt and Williams. But then you have Nagy Walsh Morrell Palmer Elliason HNM ODowda Patterson etc....Not to mention FD

We cant give players game time in the League Cup anymore so three at least are out of here and who will we get offered money for out of that lot ...

On another note I noticed Chris Honor said where has Bakinson come from...He hasn't got this good over the four week break, which was a point I made recently on here. 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If we can’t properly judge players on tv we might as well shut the forum down till crowds are back! 

Nobody’s saying you can’t judge players, we all do it, but when you can only see c40 yards of a pitch there should be an acceptance that there is a lot you can miss too, and it’s not as black and white as it looks.

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

So who moves on one way or another.

Bakinson is nailed on to stay as are Brunt and Williams. But then you have Nagy Walsh Morrell Palmer Elliason HNM ODowda Patterson etc....Not to mention FD

We cant give players game time in the League Cup anymore so three at least are out of here and who will we get offered money for out of that lot ...

On another note I noticed Chris Honor said where has Bakinson come from...He hasn't got this good over the four week break, which was a point I made recently on here. 

Sorry but it’s time to say goodbye to FD !

player of the season last time around but only because we did not have a decent ball playing forward! Goal tally for the season meaningless when you include missed chances and sitters missed! The only reason he is still here is that he is not good enough for any other ambitious team either!

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I don't subscribe to the cliche that every player always gives 100%. I've seen enough football over the decades to conclude it isn't true. I offer half the team last relegated from the Championship as evidence. Sometimes a player looks like he isn't trying because he isn't trying!

I'm not sure how the fact that Villa are clearly a better side accounts for the fact that Burton gave a stronger Villa 11 a better game either.

In some cases I think Dean will have cause for concern perhaps, though only he and his coaches will be able to judge whether it was lack of effort or something else.

Missed it tonight but sounds like I had a lucky escape.

It's still early in the season and there's probably still business to be done so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

I think we have to do some real work on squad balance though.  If we're sticking with this wingbacks nonsense (did I mention I ******* hate wingbacks?) we need a squad that has the right shape and we're miles from that.

Pretty obvious to me that we threw the game.  Weak team, no commitment, no attempt to claw back the deficit, late subs brought on just for the sake of appearances, etc.

TBH, with no chance of money spinning later round big gates, why bother or risk players who might miss a league game.  The only losers were the poor sods who wasted their tenners and a couple of hours of their lives watching that pile of shite.

You would have thought that a few players might have looked like they were playing for their places.

Lip read DH speaking to Dean Smith after the game "Well done mate. 3-0 as we agreed". A bit embarrassing really and a cringeful watch.

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Personally I don't subscribe to the cliche that every player always gives 100%. I've seen enough football over the decades to conclude it isn't true. I offer half the team last relegated from the Championship as evidence. Sometimes a player looks like he isn't trying because he isn't trying!

I'm not sure how the fact that Villa are clearly a better side accounts for the fact that Burton gave a stronger Villa 11 a better game either.

In some cases I think Dean will have cause for concern perhaps, though only he and his coaches will be able to judge whether it was lack of effort or something else.

No, not do I, some players don’t put effort in, some put some in, then switch off, etc etc.

With no more cup games til January, I posted elsewhere whether tonight’s defeat might hasten some decision making on some players futures.

As you suggest, Dean will know what he’s witnessed tonight, and I don’t think he will be too happy with a few (for differing reasons).

Whatever my views on certain individuals:

• Palmer isn’t ousting Paterson
  • Diedhiou isn’t ousting Martin or Wells
  • Semenyo is probably next in line behind Martin and Wells and will get more and more minutes
  • Bakinson is no longer an u23 filling in, he’s a bonafide first teamer (we probably knew that)

Hard to see too many positives, but we have to remember that we've thrown 8 new lads into a game, played with no senior defenders and played a decent side that had a good day at the office 

I'm a fan of Palmer, but tonight had made me consider that a little deeper

Bakinson looks very solid and at home at this level

Max had a great game, good to have a solid number two. 

Some of Taylor Moore's ball carrying was positive, he just needs to release a little sooner

Not a total disaster. It's good experience and keeps us grounded for the next game. 

Good luck to Villa, they deserved the win 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. I reckon Morrell may be off. Holden never says much about him.

This 'tight calf' doesn't seem right to me. No specific details about it, just a tight calf and we don't know how long.

Not seen him since Wales game either, but we have seen all the other injured players.

I hope you are wrong. A player who has come through the youth set up and is looking comfortable at international level it would be a terrible decision to lose him whilst keeping the likes of Massengo and Nagy.

Archived