IGNORED

Bristol City v John Terry's Aston Villa - Carabao Cup R3 - Match Day

Septic Peg

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, not do I, some players don’t put effort in, some put some in, then switch off, etc etc.

With no more cup games til January, I posted elsewhere whether tonight’s defeat might hasten some decision making on some players futures.

As you suggest, Dean will know what he’s witnessed tonight, and I don’t think he will be too happy with a few (for differing reasons).

Whatever my views on certain individuals:

• Palmer isn’t ousting Paterson
  • Diedhiou isn’t ousting Martin or Wells
  • Semenyo is probably next in line behind Martin and Wells and will get more and more minutes
  • Bakinson is no longer an u23 filling in, he’s a bonafide first teamer (we probably knew that)

Agree - in fact despite including his first bonafide misplaced pass/possession with about 10 to go, relative to the CM 3 before he came on, Bakinson further enhanced his reputation tonight by virtue of what he wasn't.

Added to Semenyo being the only convincing threat up front, it is remarkable these two players more than any others look like they were first teamers in a 'reserve side'. Youth but both are only obvious claims for Sunday.

Worth mentioning Sessegnon too - he wriggled into a few good positions in the box but for my money is a lot further than Pereira from really challenging Hunt, which is a concern as we know Hunt is not 46 games solid.

Lastly, I think we all accept Palmer's performance will be picked apart. It was fascinating. He looks comfortable on the ball in space but he's consistently naive when choosing to try and beat players rather than passing.

We're probably only now learning by comparison to Bakinson that our passing hasn't been all that good. In the case of Palmer it has been largely missing in favour of trying to produce individual quality and being found out.

49 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Pretty obvious to me that we threw the game.  Weak team, no commitment, no attempt to claw back the deficit, late subs brought on just for the sake of appearances, etc.

TBH, with no chance of money spinning later round big gates, why bother or risk players who might miss a league game.  The only losers were the poor sods who wasted their tenners and a couple of hours of their lives watching that pile of shite.

You would have thought that a few players might have looked like they were playing for their places.

Lip read DH speaking to Dean Smith after the game "Well done mate. 3-0 as we agreed". A bit embarrassing really and a cringeful watch.

Don’t drink turps 

I have only just got back from playing the usual 5-aside/pub visit and i will admit that I have not heard any commentary tonight or watched the Carabou site's stream.

But, I will say that we have an over-bloated squad of players and our exit from this competition just leaves a few rounds of the FA Cup, at best, to field unutilised playing staff.

This (today) was the chance for that 'second string' of players to absolutely play their flippin guts out, to do everything they could to stay in the League Cup and give a good reason to continue justifying their wage as they can't make the first team squad.

And today's result makes things a lot more straight-forward for Mark Ashton in terms of player retention going forward and we are still in a transfer window.

Who needs a forty man squad when only a mid-twenty to thirty size squad are needed now?

Given the large number of players out of contract and not being snapped up around the league as they might normally be, I think the footballer's 'bubble' of club protection has now well and truely burst!

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

The easiest way to ascertain the performance this evening is to use Dean's statement from the last round, how many that played tonight have 'given him a problem' for Sunday? I would suggest none, maybe Semenyo if anyone.

The only problem they've given him is that he might have to play them

5 hours ago, mozo said:

In a way I'm pleased that the bubble has been popped as a dose of cold, bitter reality is a reminder of the levels at play. 

For me thats just a bizarre thing to say.

Imagine if every club's fans says that after a defeat! Absolutely nothing wrong with optimism and enjoying the start and expecting some kind of a go against what will be a struggling Prem team. We have seen better be knocked out by worse. We should of done better imo. There is nothing pleasing about it. 

Worked out why we lost...

It wasn't due to tactical set up, players, eight changes...

No ball boys to pick up and swing around. 

DH, when covid is gone. Always have at least one ball boy within 20ft to swing should the situation arise. 

Panic over. On to Sheff W. 3-0 home win and top of the table come Sunday night

The gulf between a Villa (reserve) side that was an average Championship club two years ago, escaped relegation last season by a cat's whisker, is large.

I won't comment on individuals except to say that our Academy boys plus those who we brought in when they were 17/18 years, whilst making mistakes, will get better for the experience. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nobody’s saying you can’t judge players, we all do it, but when you can only see c40 yards of a pitch there should be an acceptance that there is a lot you can miss too, and it’s not as black and white as it looks.

Black and White? Mate I thought I was behind the times not having a smart TV but at least it’s coloured ?

5 hours ago, Atticus said:

Imagine if every club's fans says that after a defeat! Absolutely nothing wrong with optimism and enjoying the start and expecting some kind of a go against what will be a struggling Prem team. We have seen better be knocked out by worse. We should of done better imo. There is nothing pleasing about it. 

Yeah that's a fair comment. 

I'm guessing from the mish-mash line up that we weren't taking it too seriously. I actually wanted us to go full strength and really go for it.

Hopefully we take the right lessons from it. 

33 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The gulf between a Villa (reserve) side that was an average Championship club two years ago, escaped relegation last season by a cat's whisker, is large.

I won't comment on individuals except to say that our Academy boys plus those who we brought in when they were 17/18 years, whilst making mistakes, will get better for the experience. 

The gulf has been borne out of one of us (Villa) going back to the Prem after 3 years out. What was evident immediately was how much fitter and athletic players in the top flight were and all teams, even those at the bottom, had players that could hurt you. Last season for us was one of huge catch-up. If you were to come up this season that is the first thing that you'd notice too. Sheff U coped well because their game is based on a high fitness level, but one or two bricks come out of that and they will be found wanting.

I think the difference between us both yesterday highlighted how much work was done on us last season and how much we looked like a prem team in terms of fitness, athleticism, and decision-making. 

Obviously with a full ground, both playing first teams, anything could have happened - and another thing to remember is that if we were both playing a largely second string it is harder for the lower league team, as our team was full of players trying to show they should be in the first  team. The final other thing - its the start of the season and you don't know where teams or players are in their fitness. Its been such a short pre-season.

Don't beat yourselves up - as I've been reading. there are many reasons for this result. Just move on and build for the season. Good luck.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I think the difference was about £240 million

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

Very odd isn't it - posts like that one, and a people posting unsolicited 'gentle reminders' as if people genuinely thought we'd already won the league.

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think the difference was about £240 million

not really - when we were in the Championship we spent a lot more on our squad than you did but the difference wasn't as huge as it is now. Look around the starting 11 yesterday and although money has been invested in it other than Traore (maybe nakamba) big money hasn't been spent on that 11.

3 minutes ago, peter w said:

not really - when we were in the Championship we spent a lot more on our squad than you did but the difference wasn't as huge as it is now. Look around the starting 11 yesterday and although money has been invested in it other than Traore (maybe nakamba) big money hasn't been spent on that 11.

Wages much higher though, transfer fees only tell one part of the story. 

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wages much higher though, transfer fees only tell one part of the story. 

True, but as I said, we were paying much higher wages than you and most other clubs in our 3 years in the Championship and the difference wasn't there then in terms of us being miles ahead. It attracted players but hardly the reason for last night's difference. 

Lots of talk about how and why we lost. Wages, transfer values etc.

The same could be said when we beat Man utd...

We had 8 new faces, no senior defenders and had a group of players having an off day. It happens!!

Villa played well, we didn't 

If we played the same team again, I suspect Palmer, Nagy, etc wouldn't have such a bad game a second time.

Move on, Sheff W here we come. Our first team are well rested and the focus moves to promotion

5 minutes ago, peter w said:

True, but as I said, we were paying much higher wages than you and most other clubs in our 3 years in the Championship and the difference wasn't there then in terms of us being miles ahead. It attracted players but hardly the reason for last night's difference. 

We lost a 1 off cup game playing a fairly second string 11 against a Prem side who are clearly stronger in all departments. It happens. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Yeah that's a fair comment. 

I'm guessing from the mish-mash line up that we weren't taking it too seriously. I actually wanted us to go full strength and really go for it.

Hopefully we take the right lessons from it. 

Is that at the expense of a more fatigued team on Sunday, or worse still a key player getting injured?

Wednesday fielded a completely different eleven versus Fulham.  They will be totally fresh.

Archived