Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

City players who owned that shirt


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, potbelly said:

Obviously a generation thing,  but if we had to retire shirt numbers who would we give them to?

For me,

#3 Clive Whitehead

#4 Gerry Gow

#7 Super Scott

Struggling to place many more

I had no idea Clive wore number three?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I had no idea Clive wore number three?

He started as a no. 11 before becoming a great No. 3 wing back.

Last time I saw him play he was playing centre-half for Pompey.

I did see him in the office once when he was working for the PFA about 10 or 15 years ago.

First time I saw him, we had a kick about in the street while he was still in the youth team.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wendyredredrobin said:

He started as a no. 11 before becoming a great No. 3 wing back.

Left or right?  He’s a funny one for me, because I always associate him as a winger.  I was young, so might recall things wrong.

But at LB I had Drysdale, bit of Merrick, then TC.

At RB I had Sweeney.

I know he played full-back, but it just doesn’t stick in my head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Left or right?  He’s a funny one for me, because I always associate him as a winger.  I was young, so might recall things wrong.

But at LB I had Drysdale, bit of Merrick, then TC.

At RB I had Sweeney.

I know he played full-back, but it just doesn’t stick in my head.

I looked up a couple of old team sheets from 1980 and it looks like Whitehead and Sweeney were the full backs.  As Sween was a RB, I assume Clive must have been LB.

I also recall Merrick playing LB in his early days and of course Taints too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I looked up a couple of old team sheets from 1980 and it looks like Whitehead and Sweeney were the full backs.  As Sween was a RB, I assume Clive must have been LB.

I also recall Merrick playing LB in his early days and of course Taints too.

Again might be my memory, but thought Sir Geoff went from centre back to left back to accommodate Norman Hunter's arrival. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

John Galley no.9 

I agree with you initially, but a few years before, we had another Big John in that number 9 shirt.

Number 3? Gordon Parr wore it for 18 years and was replaced by Brian Drysdale.

Number 6 - Geoff Merrick.

number 1 - that will be a definite generation thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 22A said:

I agree with you initially, but a few years before, we had another Big John in that number 9 shirt.

Number 3? Gordon Parr wore it for 18 years and was replaced by Brian Drysdale.

Number 6 - Geoff Merrick.

number 1 - that will be a definite generation thing.

If it's the Big John I think you mean, I think - bearing in mind I'm way too young to see him play and know if I've made this up - that he wore both the 8 and the 9 shirts so you could easily give Atyeo the 8 and Galley the 9...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I had no idea Clive wore number three?

Wow, i must be losing it, i'd have lost a lot of money defending that.

So far looks like we have

#4 Gerry Gow
#6 Louis
#7 Scott
#9 Big John
#11 Tins

Can Little Lee have #8?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, potbelly said:

Wow, i must be losing it, i'd have lost a lot of money defending that.

So far looks like we have

#4 Gerry Gow
#6 Louis
#7 Scott
#9 Big John
#11 Tins

Can Little Lee have #8?

Tom Ritchie #8???  I always think he suited #11 as it looked like his legs 😂😂😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Again might be my memory, but thought Sir Geoff went from centre back to left back to accommodate Norman Hunter's arrival. 

might have all been about the same time, but Keith Weller ripped Drysdale apart one Saturday afternoon....he was never the same after that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...