IGNORED

City players who owned that shirt

potbelly

4 hours ago, 22A said:

I agree with you initially, but a few years before, we had another Big John in that number 9 shirt.

Number 3? Gordon Parr wore it for 18 years and was replaced by Brian Drysdale.

Number 6 - Geoff Merrick.

number 1 - that will be a definite generation thing.

Gordon Parr?  He wasn’t a number 3: in those days no 3 was always the left back, and that was Alec Briggs.  Parr was either a central defender or, more usually, defensive central midfield, and generally wore either no 4 or no 6.  And he was a first teamer for City for less than ten years.

13 hours ago, potbelly said:

Wow, i must be losing it, i'd have lost a lot of money defending that.

So far looks like we have

#4 Gerry Gow
#6 Louis
#7 Scott
#9 Big John
#11 Tins

Can Little Lee have #8?

He wore 33 i believe

#4 Gerry Gow
#6 Louis
#7 Scott
#9 Big John
#11 Tins

Can Little Lee have #8?

He wore 33 i believe

#4 Gerry Gow
#6 Louis
#7 Scott
#9 Big John
#11 Tins

Can Little Lee have #8?

He wore 33 i believe

13 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Thought Rob Turner was 9 and Dave Smith was 11

When Turner joined he definitely wore 11, in the promotion season Bob still wore 9 & I think Smith wore no. 10, only switching to 11 when Turner left?

However it was all a long time ago now..

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

When Turner joined he definitely wore 11, in the promotion season Bob still wore 9 & I think Smith wore no. 10, only switching to 11 when Turner left?

However it was all a long time ago now..

This is as I remember it! Taylor 9, Turner 11, Smith 10 and Gavin 7. Great blend of physicality, speed, and guile in there with Taylor as the ace in the pack. Pretty much the complete centre forward at the time at that level.

40 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

This is as I remember it! Taylor 9, Turner 11, Smith 10 and Gavin 7. Great blend of physicality, speed, and guile in there with Taylor as the ace in the pack. Pretty much the complete centre forward at the time at that level.

Although clearly Joe Jordan didn’t think Robbie Turner was good enough, certainly for the second tier, because he replaced him before the end of the season with first Dean Horrix and then Nicky Morgan.

47 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Although clearly Joe Jordan didn’t think Robbie Turner was good enough, certainly for the second tier, because he replaced him before the end of the season with first Dean Horrix and then Nicky Morgan.

And he was right to a point. Turner was limited but a perfect foil for Taylor at third tier level. As I think was stated at the time, (maybe in The Bountyhunter fanzine - could be wrong), “Turner knocks em down, and Taylor knocks em in”!

Could be argued that the lack of a big physical strike-partner led to Bob’s perceived struggles and his ridiculous sale to WBA, where he of course thrived with Andy Hunt alongside him I believe.

Archived