Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

City players who owned that shirt


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Did Bob Taylor play at 10? 

Nope, 9 with Turner 11.

As for 7, I love Scotty as much as anyone but Tainton wore it far more often & in the top flight, too..

  • Like 2
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 22A said:

I agree with you initially, but a few years before, we had another Big John in that number 9 shirt.

Number 3? Gordon Parr wore it for 18 years and was replaced by Brian Drysdale.

Number 6 - Geoff Merrick.

number 1 - that will be a definite generation thing.

Gordon Parr?  He wasn’t a number 3: in those days no 3 was always the left back, and that was Alec Briggs.  Parr was either a central defender or, more usually, defensive central midfield, and generally wore either no 4 or no 6.  And he was a first teamer for City for less than ten years.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, potbelly said:

Wow, i must be losing it, i'd have lost a lot of money defending that.

So far looks like we have

#4 Gerry Gow
#6 Louis
#7 Scott
#9 Big John
#11 Tins

Can Little Lee have #8?

He wore 33 i believe

13 hours ago, potbelly said:

Wow, i must be losing it, i'd have lost a lot of money defending that.

So far looks like we have

#4 Gerry Gow
#6 Louis
#7 Scott
#9 Big John
#11 Tins

Can Little Lee have #8?

He wore 33 i believe

13 hours ago, potbelly said:

Wow, i must be losing it, i'd have lost a lot of money defending that.

So far looks like we have

#4 Gerry Gow
#6 Louis
#7 Scott
#9 Big John
#11 Tins

Can Little Lee have #8?

He wore 33 i believe

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Thought Rob Turner was 9 and Dave Smith was 11

When Turner joined he definitely wore 11, in the promotion season Bob still wore 9 & I think Smith wore no. 10, only switching to 11 when Turner left?

However it was all a long time ago now..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

When Turner joined he definitely wore 11, in the promotion season Bob still wore 9 & I think Smith wore no. 10, only switching to 11 when Turner left?

However it was all a long time ago now..

This is as I remember it! Taylor 9, Turner 11, Smith 10 and Gavin 7. Great blend of physicality, speed, and guile in there with Taylor as the ace in the pack. Pretty much the complete centre forward at the time at that level.

  • Like 1
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

This is as I remember it! Taylor 9, Turner 11, Smith 10 and Gavin 7. Great blend of physicality, speed, and guile in there with Taylor as the ace in the pack. Pretty much the complete centre forward at the time at that level.

Although clearly Joe Jordan didn’t think Robbie Turner was good enough, certainly for the second tier, because he replaced him before the end of the season with first Dean Horrix and then Nicky Morgan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Although clearly Joe Jordan didn’t think Robbie Turner was good enough, certainly for the second tier, because he replaced him before the end of the season with first Dean Horrix and then Nicky Morgan.

And he was right to a point. Turner was limited but a perfect foil for Taylor at third tier level. As I think was stated at the time, (maybe in The Bountyhunter fanzine - could be wrong), “Turner knocks em down, and Taylor knocks em in”!

Could be argued that the lack of a big physical strike-partner led to Bob’s perceived struggles and his ridiculous sale to WBA, where he of course thrived with Andy Hunt alongside him I believe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...